TKR 6-25-15 TKR op date

Status
Not open for further replies.

tigwy11

senior
Country
United States United States
alomst two weeks with my TKR on my right knee. All is going good except at nite. I can't get comfortable to sleep. Some aching and lots of stiffness. Any suggestions?

Hi @tigwy11
:welome:to BoneSmart. I'm glad you found us.

Most of us have difficulty with sleeping after this surgery. It does improve gradually. Meanwhile, sleep when you can. Daytime naps will help.

I'm going to give you our recommended recovery reading list. there are lots of interesting and useful articles here. You don't have to read them all at once. The most important ones come first. You'll see that there is an article about sleep deprivation.

First is the BoneSmart recovery philosophy ....
- rest, elevate, ice and take your pain meds by the clock
- if it hurts, don't do it and don't allow anyone - especially a physiotherapist (PT) - to do it to you. Exercise only gently.
- if your leg swells more or gets stiffer in the 24 hours after doing it, don't do it again
- if you won't die if it's not done, don't do it
- never stand when you can sit, never sit when you can lie down, never stay awake when you can go to sleep!
- be active as much as you need to be but not more than is necessary, meaning so much that you end up being in pain, exhausted or desperate to sit down or lie down!

Next is a FAQ (Frequently Asked Questions) thread.

And here are some very crucial articles
The importance of managing pain after a TKR and the pain chart
Myth busting: no pain, no gain
Swollen and stiff knee: what causes it?
Activity progression for TKRs

Healing: how long does it take?
Chart representation of TKR recovery
Energy drain for TKRs
Elevation is the key
Ice to control pain and swelling

Home physio (PT) and activity progress: suggestions
Myth busting: the "window of opportunity" in TKR
Myth busting: on getting addicted to pain meds
Post op blues is a reality - be prepared for it
Sleep deprivation is pretty much inevitable - but what causes it?

And then some wise words from members who have shared their experiences ...
Where are you in recovery?? (TKR)
Five “P’s” of knee recovery
TKR: work “smarter” and not “harder”
Recovering a knee - from one who knows!
It's never too late to get more ROM!
It's worth the wait for ROM

Looking forward to hearing again from you. We'll help you through this.

Be kind to yourself and kind to your knee. :flwrysmile::flwrysmile:

Hi, are you icing your knee during the night? I have a chilly bin by the side of the bed with 4 blue jelly icepacks in it kept cold with cooler icepacks. When I wake and can't get comfortable I just strap on one of those and it seems to settle things down so I can get back to sleep. At 7 weeks post op I'm now only using maybe only one pack each night whereas at two weeks I was using all four packs. So it does get easier as time goes on.

Thank you so much for your answers and help. This forum was a Godsend last night when I was frustrated with not being able to sleep. I do have this ice machine and I used it last night. Also have tried a tens unit that helps too. I will read the suggested articles and thanks again to Celia and Margaret. I think I have been overdoing it during the day and paying for it at night.
Beth

Too much activity and/or exercise can cause you discomfort at night. Be sure you are taking your pain medications on a schedule throughout the day and night as well too. You are very, very early in this recovery process and you should be pretty much babying that new knee. All you need in the way of activity right now are the most gentle of movements (bends and stretches) to keep things moving, along with walking from room to room when needed around the house.

It is helpful if you create a signature that includes your surgery date. To do this, mouse hover over your username at the top right of the screen. Choose Create a Signature from the drop down menu. THANKS!

I sleep with a pillow in the bed that l rest my knee on. I ice my knee at night and also take meds in the early hours. Hope things settle down for you soon

Overdoing it is really bad for your knee, so I urge you to slow down. If the knee is still swollen and inflamed you simply cannot push the knee until the swelling is down. Exercising a hot and swollen knee causes adhesions to form and really, it is not doing yourself any favors---Patience is the answer. Take the time to keep the knee elevated and iced until the swelling goes down.

Elevating your leg to control swelling and pain
Using ice

I will admit to overdoing it! But had my 2 week appointment and my ROM is 0 and 95. I am planning on slowing it down. I need my sleep. Appreciate all of your suggestions for help.

95/0 is totally amazing for two weeks out! :ok:
Just remember this when you do exercises - you've nothing to work hard for. You've got it already! :thumb:

Wow awesome for 2 weeks. You are doing awesome. Xxx

FaithMitchmommy
PKR December.1,2014
TKREV MARCH.2,2015

:loveshwr: Well I slept all night in my own bed last night. Only woke up a couple of times with pain! Yahoo! I did have PT today and ROM at the end of session was 100. Trying to get to 110 so I can drive! Resting, icing and leg up right now.

You're doing great. Sounds like the key for you is to just give yourself time to heal. Mostly it's up to the knee how fast the ROM will come.
As for driving, it's not just the ROM but being able to brake quickly that's important. Oh, and being off drugs. At least during the day. :heehee:
Yay for sleeping in bed!
Lots of us don't sleep well after this surgery, so naps help. I was queen of the naps.

I was driving with terrible ROM. The driving wasn't the issue, it was making sure I parked where I could definitely get the car door open wide enough to swing my leg out.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

My doctor just told me you have to be able to slam on the brakes in order to avoid hitting a small child. Anyway, yep getting my leg in and out is the issue right now with my little Jetta @tigz.

I drove at 10 days--I think my rom was 90 when I left the hospital, but I live in a small town and rarely drive more than 10 miles to go anywhere--and we don't even have a freeway nearby!! We do have a divided highway.

My doctor just told me you have to be able to slam on the brakes in order to avoid hitting a small child.
We yes, that should be obvious! You need to be totally sure that you can do an emergency stop, before you even turn on the ignition. You also need to be off the heavy duty medications - don't want your brain and decision making to be clouded by drugs. Some insurance companies require an all-clear from your surgeon before you drive again, so check that.

Before I started driving again, I would sit in my car with the engine turned off, and practice moving my feet from pedal to pedal, and practicing emergency stops. You need to be totally sure that you can move your feet quickly to the correct pedal, and that you can stamp down hard enough on the brake pedal.

I agree as my condition I have no feeling in some parts of foot and others incredible heightened nerve reaction I won't drive. I used same scenario could I do a.sudden stop or could I injure someone. Its annoying but the right way to go. Happy practicing....

Legin THR Sep 14

I drove at 10 days--I think my rom was 90 when I left the hospital, but I live in a small town and rarely drive more than 10 miles to go anywhere--and we don't even have a freeway nearby!! We do have a divided highway.

I know Whitefish and yep it's small. My town is also small (Ten Sleep, WY) but I live 10 miles out and it's 35 to work! No freeway or divided highway nearby!

We yes, that should be obvious! You need to be totally sure that you can do an emergency stop, before you even turn on the ignition. You also need to be off the heavy duty medications - don't want your brain and decision making to be clouded by drugs. Some insurance companies require an all-clear from your surgeon before you drive again, so check that.

Before I started driving again, I would sit in my car with the engine turned off, and practice moving my feet from pedal to pedal, and practicing emergency stops. You need to be totally sure that you can move your feet quickly to the correct pedal, and that you can stamp down hard enough on the brake pedal.

Oh thanks for the great idea. I will practice that and also live on a dirt road so can practice driving too, just gotta get in the car ok since it's my right leg I gotta bend to get in.

I agree as my condition I have no feeling in some parts of foot and others incredible heightened nerve reaction I won't drive. I used same scenario could I do a.sudden stop or could I injure someone. Its annoying but the right way to go. Happy practicing....

Legin THR Sep 14

From what I read, it is earlier when it's the left leg. Anyway, gonna try the practicing on my dirt road :shocked:

Status
Not open for further replies.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• djklaugh
    Staff member since December 30, 2020
  • benne68
    Staff member since February 4, 2022

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member