BoneSmart® Hip / Knee Replacement Forum
Knee Replacement & Hip Replacement
Patient Advocacy & Online Community
  1. PLEASE NOTE THAT ONE RECOVERY THREAD ONLY IS PREFERRED. PLEASE DON'T START ADDITIONAL THREADS ABOUT YOUR RECOVERY.

3 weeks post-op

Discussion in 'Knee Replacement Recovery Area' started by suetara, Apr 21, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. suetara

suetara New Member

Hi everyone, here I am 3 weeks post-op for a revision TKR. The surgery went fine, 3 days in the hospital, no CPM, started PT on the 5th day. The pain is somewhat manageable, I am walking gingerly with a cane now. The main concern I have is with the PT. My guy is very agressive, VERY, he is determined to get 0 extention though I seem stuck at 12 and tells me it needs to be 0 by a month or so post op or may never get it. The pain he causes pushing on it is over the top and the next day the pain pretty much prevents normal excersize. My gut tells me he's pushing too hard but I'd never forgive myself if I backed off and didn't get full extension. Do you have any thoughts on how much I should push my knee? Maybe something I can tell my therepist or other techniques? I am discourged about my lack of progress after the extreme effort he is extending, any comments will be greatly appreciated.

Sue

2. koolma

koolma Junior Member

Hi Sue,
    I am 2 1/2 wks post op and had a similar situation. My regular PT, who I went to for pre-op PT, is more gentle and doesn't push me to where I want to scream. His partner, however, was much more aggressive when I saw him. I will not accept an appt with this guy now. There has to be a middle ground. I expect pain, and know it will help, but there is a limit. I hope someone here can advise you, as I am just a newbie! Good luck.
    Jeanne

3. Jaycey

Jaycey Moderator

United Kingdom United Kingdom
    Hi Suetara, PT should be fun - not painful. If your PT is pushing too hard tell him to stop. Getting aggressive is only setting you back.

I'm going to tag Jamie to comment as well. She can give you first hand TKR experience. @Jamie:

4. Tykey

Tykey Forum Advisor

Here we are again:DOH:

This is the most frequent request we get, probably 10 per week, all suffering from aggressive PT's. All being told bullshit about your knee locking up.

A punch on the nose of the PT is the most suitable action.:biggrin:

It's totally untrue, the reality is that rest and frequent gentle exercises (plus meds and ice) will get you where you want to be. Many , many of us on here have done this, and are back to full fitness.

The only thing you get from aggressive PT is swelling and pain, which reduces ROM and extension, not increase it.

So i'd can the aggressive PT and you'll see a major improvement in a week or two

• Like Like x 1
  5. Jamie

Jamie Administrator

United States United States
    Suetara.....you need to trust your own feelings. Aggressive PT that ends up hurting you will not do you good. This fellow is simply wrong that you MUST get your extension to zero or you may never do so. You have plenty of time. You are only 3 weeks out from surgery!!!

Tell him to knock off the pushing and whatever else he's doing that is causing you to hurt the next day. Here is a link to some exercises you can do to improve extension without making yourself miserable.

6. Josephine

Josephine NURSE DIRECTOR, BONESMART Administrator

Here's some stuff for you to read about that Myth busting: The "window of opportunity". As Tykey says, it's twaddle! And remind him he works for you, not the other way around. Tell him to quit or you'll find another PT. Better yet, do find yourself another PT. Beating the bejeebers out of your knee is not the way to make it better!

Here are some more threads you will find useful
    The importance of managing pain after a TKR and the pain chart
    How Long Does Healing Take ......
    Elevating your leg to control swelling and pain
    Discussion on managing pain in TKR surgery
    Using ice

Some suggestions for home physio (PT)
    MUA (manipulation under anaesthetic) and adhesions
    It's never too late to get more ROM!
    Myth busting: on getting addicted to pain meds
    Post op blues is a reality - be prepared for it

7. Petunia

Petunia New Member

Hi Suetara,

I am 8.5 weeks post-op. About 2 weeks ago my PT put me in a flexor machine. My husband was with me and I was crying like a baby. I told my PT that I would NEVER do that machine again, and I haven't. I don't plan on paying or being tortured doing something in my heart I know can't be good for me. If it hurts that badly it will only set you back. I have actually stopped my "formal" physical therapy and feel I have done better on my own knowing my own limits.

Good luck, stick to your gut and guns.

8. Josephine

Josephine NURSE DIRECTOR, BONESMART Administrator

9. Tykey

Tykey Forum Advisor

:yes 4:

10. parla

parla Member

Suetara,
    Hi! I am not the usual knee patient but I have had my struggles with extension along the way. I think the exercises that use gravity are the best.. and in retrospect I would not let anyone to hang weights from my leg to straighten it. I also learned the hard way, if they are working on me and I am crying in pain & they do not stop what they are doing, a vocal "NO" from you as the patient is appropriate. I also would not be afraid to change PT offices. I actually went to 2 other places until I found a PT who would work with me & understood causing me more pain was NOT the answer. I think you are still very early on your recovery so I would not worry too much. Look at the library here for exercises for extension and do not let any PT bully you. You know your limits and stick to your intuition, we really need to listen to OUR bodies. Hang in there!:wubroses:
    Parla

11. maryo52

maryo52 Sr Bonesmartie

Back when I was doing PT, I had horrible pain when they tried to straighten my knee. The extension was about 10 degrees. The PT said he wasn't worried about my extension and backed off. (I had significant scar tissue and a protracted recovery.)

Fast forward to today, five months out. I have my husband straighten my knee every day (it can get to 0 but backslides to 5 each day still). The first stretch is very gentle -- just a few seconds. I bend to release the tension, and do another slightly longer and more serious stretch but still GENTLE. With each successive stretch I increase the duration and stretch, SLOWLY, bending it to release tension between each stretch. Anything more than mild discomfort = stop. After about 4-5 warm up stretches of 20 seconds or less, my leg becomes willing to go to 0. This morning I stayed at 0 for a minute. I noticed at 45 seconds it settled even more into the stretch.

My point is, you have to take the reins and control the PT and LISTEN TO YOUR BODY. PTs are there to offer their expertise and guide you, but your job is to make the final decisions based on how each exercise or stretch feels. Patient Power!

Disclaimer: my comments are intended for informational purposes only and do not constitute a doctor's advice.

• Like Like x 1
  12. suetara

suetara New Member

Thank you all for the confirmation. I will be talking to my PT today he will either change his technique or I will move on. You are all great.
    Sue

13. Jaycey

Jaycey Moderator

:thumb: Let us know how it goes!

14. Truivia

Truivia Member

Hi Sue. I am 5 weeks out from a bilaterial total knee replacement. I am doing my PT at home 100% on my own.

The reason is in the first 2 weeks I went through 3 PT places. I was yelled at, I was told to go see my Dr and get drugged and then come back. I sobbed in pain! Not cried. Sobbed! Once I would get home it would take me at least 5 hrs just to get the pain under control. It would take until it was time to return for more PT before the pain was at a do-able level.

You do what you need to do for yourself, but if you chose to do home PT, all the information you will need is right here at this site. Just contact Jamie, Josephine or any of the other MODS/ADMIN people and they can give you all the links.

Please keep us posted how your doing.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.