BoneSmart® Hip / Knee Replacement Forum
The world's leading knee and hip replacement
patient advocacy organzation & online community

2 weeks left

Discussion in 'Hip Replacement Pre-Op Area' started by DonnaD603, Feb 28, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DonnaD603

DonnaD603 Junior Member

Going for my pre-op tomorrow. Hope everything goes well!
  2. Jamie

Jamie Administrator

United States United States
    Good luck!!! One step closer....
    • Like Like x 1
  3. DonnaD603

DonnaD603 Junior Member

Why am I such a nervous wreck this morning? It's just a fairly routine visit, other than it giving me the clear to have my surgery. Ugh!

Feeling overly anxious this morning.
  4. DonnaD603

DonnaD603 Junior Member

Pre-op done!

Well I had my pre-op today. Guess what! I survived! :biggrin:

Blood work, x-ray, EKG, nose swab, and urine sample.

Met with the nurse, the anesthesiologist and the doctor's nurse. Tons of questions asked by them and me. Definitely a long day.

Have to go to the pharmacy and pick up the "soap", some iron supplements and some Miralax.

They want me to take iron to help build up my blood supply. Since I'm having both hips done within two weeks of each other I have a higher risk of losing more blood.

Just got a call that my white blood cell count is a little high, 13.8. :sigh: Now I have to have previous blood work results faxed to my surgeon to see if this is normal for me. Nothing I do is normal. I have a higher platellete count than everyone else, but all other blood tests to find out why have come back normal. Ugh!

Added stress, I just want this over with. I know they're just following procedure and it's in my best interest. But that doesn't prevent my stress level from rising.

So off to my PCP to sign a release. Then to see if I need to sign another release for my hematologist. They're both within the same health group, so maybe I can get away with signing just one? Yeah, right!

I'll let you all know how this goes.
  5. DallasSarah

DallasSarah Post-Grad

Hi Donna,

Sorry I meant to reply earlier when you posted about being worried about the PRE-op testing. I knew you would be fine and it sounds like it went smoothly..I'm not that good with blood counts and results of the tests. Hopefully this won't be a big deal and easily either fixed or ok for your surgery!

Hang in there it gets better, promise!

Have a good night!

xxooxx
    • Like Like x 1
  6. DonnaD603

DonnaD603 Junior Member

So I heard back from my surgeon's office. I have to have more blood work tomorrow. My white blood cell count has to be closer to 10.5 in order to go ahead with the surgery.

Could really use lots of positive thoughts!

Thanks!!
  7. DallasSarah

DallasSarah Post-Grad

Hi Donna - your in my thoughts and YES sending lots of positive wishes!!
    • Like Like x 1
  8. proskier

proskier Junior Member

I figured out how to download a photo. This is me with my wonderful horse, Laddie, taken last summer when he was only a 3 yr old. My first TKR surgery is now 156 hrs. away (but who's counting). Like all of you, I'm excited, slightly scared and just want it over with. I get the other one done 5/8. I wish they were closer but my surgeon's schedule is packed. I hope to ride Laddie between the two. Sending positive thoughts to all awaiting the big day.
    • Like Like x 1
  9. proskier

proskier Junior Member

Thought I had downloaded photo LOL
  10. Jamie

Jamie Administrator

11. welshjane

welshjane Senior

Hi Donna, just dropped by to say 'hi'. I see that your second THR is scheduled for 27th March, the same day as me. But you'll be an old hand by then, having had the first already. Very brave of you having them so close together. It's great that you're getting so much sick leave, even if it turns out you don't need quite as much as 17 weeks. So many folks here seem to have to go back to work before they are really ready for it. I'm lucky because I'm semi-retired/self-employed, so I just started back when I felt like it after the first one.

How did your blood work go today? Hope your white cell count has come down a little now. You don't need that extra stress, do you?
  12. DonnaD603

DonnaD603 Junior Member

Thanks Jane. I'm hoping to hear back tomorrow as to the results of my blood work. I have a lot of people sending up prayers that I get the results needed to continue on this path to get my surgery done on Tuesday.

I figured I would have them both done as close together as I could just to get it over with. Plus you never know what tomorrow might bring, better to do it now while I know I have insurance. :biggrin:

You're getting yours done on the 27th as well? We'll be hippie buddies!:thumb:

Will post the results as soon as I know. Thanks all!
  13. DonnaD603

DonnaD603 Junior Member

Looks like my surgery on Tuesday is still going to happen!!

My white blood cell count is still slightly elevated (12.4) but down from Monday (13.8).
  14. DallasSarah

DallasSarah Post-Grad

This is good news Donna!

Are you ready or do you still have errands and projects to get done this weekend?
  15. welshjane

welshjane Senior

Brilliant news Donna! Yes, we'll be hippie buddies. It really helped me the first time around to know that there were others going through the same thing on the same day, Dallas Sarah being one of them - and look how well she's done!

Good luck and warmest wishes for Tuesday. As Sarah says, hope you manage to keep busy over the weekend, then it will pass in a flash. I'll be looking for your post-op reports on the other side.

Love and hugs, Jane
    • Like Like x 1
  16. Hanomare

Hanomare Junior Member

Hi Donna,

Looks like you've been on a little rollercoaster - glad to hear you will be able to go forward with your surgery. How nerve wracking!

You are so fortunate to have so much time off and a great hubby to help you recover. I imagine that takes some of the anxiety away, but I know how you feel with these crazy emotions. It is exciting and scary and depressing all at the same time. I think those are appropriate emotions and we just have to go through them, and I just keep reminding myself how fortunate I am to have a solution to this problem, and even though it is a big deal, in a fairly short time it will all be a memory because we will be able to live our lives again and not look back!

I can't wait to hear from you once you reach the other side!
    • Like Like x 1
  17. DonnaD603

DonnaD603 Junior Member

Thank you all. I'm going to try to stay busy this weekend. Still have lots to get done. The support on here is great!

I can't wait to post on the other side.
  18. referee54

referee54 Moderator

That is really great news about your upcoming surgery!

Stay busy, and I look forward to hearing from you on the "other side."

That waiting is the hardest part---stay busy, keep yourself occupied, and think positive thoughts!
    • Like Like x 1
  19. DallasSarah

DallasSarah Post-Grad

Hey Donna,

Hope your weekend went well! Just wanted you to know you are in my thoughts.

xxooxx
    • Like Like x 1
  20. DonnaD603

DonnaD603 Junior Member

Thanks!!

I stayed pretty busy, getting everything together. As you know, I'm recovering at my in-laws so I kept busy packing all that. Brought everything over there today and had a nice lunch I made for everyone, adult mac & cheese! It was a big hit!:thumb:

Have a few errands to run tomorrow. I decided to take the day off. My mind was all over the place on Thursday and Friday, so I know I wouldn't be with it tomorrow.

Having some ice cream and watching my shows, trying to relax.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.