BoneSmart® Hip / Knee Replacement Forum
The world's leading knee and hip replacement
patient advocacy organzation & online community

2 weeks left

Discussion in 'Hip Replacement Pre-Op Area' started by DonnaD603, Feb 28, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DonnaD603

DonnaD603 Junior Member

Only 2 weeks until I get my LTHR. It's coming up so quick now.

So much to do. So little time. I thought I would have plenty of time to get things situated. Now it's right around the corner. If I didn't have to go to work I would have plenty time. Unfortunately, some of us are born beautiful not rich. LOL

My left hip has been causing some major pain the last few days. My right is hurting as well, but near as much as my left one. My mother-in-law said they're acting up even more than normal now because they know I'm getting rid of them. I thought that was funny.:th_heehee:

What kind of clothes should I bring to the hospital for the day I get out? Sweats? I know they say to bring normal clothes so they can show us how to get in and out of them, but I don't think wearing jeans would be very comfortable.
  2. Dingbat7

Dingbat7 Senior

I can't wait for mine, I have been told I need both doing but there are no plans to do my left one immediately after my right. I don't get the same level of pain from the left leg and until the right one is done won't know if my back pain on walking /standing caused by both or just the right hip.

I would be interested to know if this was discussed with you ie if just doing your left hip may ease your symptoms so the right could wait or is it just your surgeons policy that he will book you in for both no matter what the outcome of the first one is.

I agree with your MIL , my right one is giving me hell, just it's way of saying goodbye
  3. DonnaD603

DonnaD603 Junior Member

My right one has the same issue as my left, osteoarthritis and a genetic disorder that caused my hips to tilt forward too much.

My OS doesn't do them both at the same time so I have to wait and have the other one done two weeks later.

I wanted to get them both done as close together so the recovery time won't be as long as it would be if I had them done far apart. I have 17 weeks I can take off from work (with full pay) for recovery but I'm really hoping it doesn't take that long.

Good luck to you!
  4. Elizak

Elizak Senior

I was told to bring sweats or other loose fitting clothing. I am also packing loose shorts, lightweight long and short sleeved shirts, and a light soft jacket. My joint class was held in the ward where I will be recovering and it seemed warm to me, thus the shorts, but I want to cover all bases. But everything soft and lightweight to be kind to my body while i am working on recovery. Best success with your surgery.
    • Like Like x 1
  5. DallasSarah

DallasSarah Post-Grad

Hello Donna and Elizak,

I was looking for a list I had seen on our website, no luck right now I'll keep looking maybe it was in someone's thread I had read earlier!

Don't go crazy buying lots of fancy things for the hospital, remember you could potentially be swollen. There are a few members here who did have opportunities to get dressed. Me personally I overpacked and lived in my comfy hospital night gown and got dressed the day I went home in comfy yoga pants, with a baggy tshirt and jacket, I did wear socks and my tennis shoes. The day I left I wore the same things I wore the day I checked in hehehehehe!

One of the BEST investments I made was a full length zipper cotton robe, I LOVE and still wear todate. They are warm, cozy you don't have to worry about any body parts falling out when walking with the walker :)

If I find the list I'll post later.
    • Like Like x 2
  6. Elizak

Elizak Senior

Thanks, Dallassarah, I hadn't thought of an easy coverup when wearing hospital gown. I will now plan for this. Zip up sounds best and easiest, tie robe too hard to keep closed.
    DonnaD603,
    One hint that I came across that seemed sensible was nothing that is cinched at the ankle, like some sweat pants, very hard to put on. A wide leg is better. Also at my joint class the therapist cautioned me against using slip on shoes that are too unstructured, basically a shoe that causes the toes to clench, as this may be painful.
    I am buying new shoes, hurrah, as the shoes I have now wear have a 3/4 inch sole buildup that I will not need after the surgery. The therapist suggested a supportive tennis shoe and also indicated that she could provide "elastic laces" for them which will work with hip precautions.
  7. DallasSarah

DallasSarah Post-Grad

Ooopppppps!

Hope I worded right, the bath robe I used at home not in the hospital. I'm wearing tonight I LOVE it's like a housecoat, plus put on after a shower and because it's cotton you dry very easily :). Plus it's cute got it from nordstroms it's a yellow-vanilla color......OK I'll confess I got a 2nd one that's very fluffy in pink too hahahahaha!! One has to feel cute going through this time.

Couple of little things I took with me in my bag and used, wet-ones, lip balm, compact mirror, my own hand tissues (kleenex)

Orginally I had gone out and treated myself to all these cute pj's then thought how silly and returned and went back to Target and Walmart. Yoga pants and pj's add up very quickly!!

Night Night,

Sarah
  8. Elizak

Elizak Senior

I still think that a sort of old fashioned, maybe slightly below knee length, front zip gown would be great for hospital coverup. Don't know if they are still available but I will look.
    Nitey-nite
  9. DallasSarah

DallasSarah Post-Grad

Oooooo go to nordstroms website they are on sale 50% soooo typical! It's the Carole Hochman brand! It also has pockets which is so handy when trying to do wheelies with ya walker at home :). I love those caftans on the website!
  10. Elizak

Elizak Senior

Thanks for the tip. I am not so much modest as do not want the breeze whistling through the back of the gown !!! Anything goes when post surgery and working on recovery and physical therapy. Comfortable and functional are my keywords.
  11. HipsterSquared

HipsterSquared Junior Member

I completely over-packed for my hospital stay! Thankfully, my beloved never said a word about all that I insisted on bringing, but yet never even looked at until I got home and one of our girls helped me unpack. I even had a great zip robe. Haven't used it at all since my surgery on Valentines (yeah, I do romance right). I only put on loose comfy pants (yoga pants are great) for going home. While I was in the hospital I changed my gown...to another gown. The reality for me was that with the catheter and all the ice, and the swelling, etc., the idea of getting into other clothes just didn't intrigue me as I thought it would.

The lip balm? Loved that. The iPod? I still can't believe I never used it. My cell phone? Attached permanently to my hand so I could update family and friends on Facebook. The only downside was that I forgot to disable the alarm I have set on my phone to go off at 6am. Thankfully, right when it went off that first morning after the surgery, the nurse had to come in for something else and not only brought it over to me, but took the charger and plugged it in close to my bed so I could have it with me at all times. Love her for that.

When the PT got me up to walk around they gave me a second gown to put on more like a coat, so my backside would be covered. Must have been the drugs, but I really didn’t even think about my gorgeous looks. I did bring a ball cap - my hair is never terribly attractive by the end of the day, so I just kept the ball cap on. I had it made before I went into the hospital – it says “Bionic Hipster” (there’s a photo of it in my signature). Made more than a couple of the nurses chuckle when they read it. I also brought my fave slippers (leather with sheepskin – so have a good sole), and that’s what I wore home - so comfy and easy to put on. Good luck! You are almost there...
    • Like Like x 1
  12. DonnaD603

DonnaD603 Junior Member

Thank you all for your wonderful ideas!! Keep 'em coming!

I'm so thankful I found this site!
  13. DallasSarah

DallasSarah Post-Grad

Me again.......

One item I did or let me say since I put them on have not taken them off. I treated myself to a pair of UGG slippers, I didn't start wearing them until day 10 ohhhh they are so soft and comfortable and very stable with the rubber sole plus I was Leary I did get the ones with no backs I felt very safe walking in them when trying on. Not sure now with spring-summer time if to warm, I live in mine around the house!

My other big treat to myself was an iPad. I did take to the hospital and had lots of funny posting moments while on my morphie drip best part of the hospital stay hehehehehe!

Can ya tell I'm big into lots of treats :) after these treats that's why Walmart and Target was the wise place for clothing!!

My walking shoes in hospital and out for first few weeks where Merrill walking style the ones with the toggles as laces, very easy to slip on and off and I didn't wear socks because I had those TED on!

Lots of babblings tonight!

One other thought this is another treat, have a pedicure before surgery...

Glad you are with us and enjoying the site, I felt the same way too!

xxooxx
    • Like Like x 1
  14. Jamie

Jamie Administrator

United States United States
    • Like Like x 1
  15. DallasSarah

DallasSarah Post-Grad

Thank you Jamie! I knew I had seen a list just couldn't find it duh!!
  16. Jamie

Jamie Administrator

United States United States
  17. DonnaD603

DonnaD603 Junior Member

11 more days

I have my pre-op on Monday. A little nervous, but anxious to get this going.

Extremely emotional today, not really sure why. Just want to cry. :cry:

On a good note, my husband's work decided to let him have the time off to take me to my surgeries. :yes 4: I was going to have his mom bring me down to my first one and my mom bring me to my second one. But now I'm super excited that he gets to be with me. :biggrin:
  18. DallasSarah

DallasSarah Post-Grad

Hi Donna,

That's great news about your husband going with you! It's important to have someone close there, its like having a comfy blanket :)

This whole experience is emotional, to cry is normal.

Have a lovely weekend! The PRE op testing is very straight forward.

xxooxx
  19. DonnaD603

DonnaD603 Junior Member

Thanks Sarah!

Yes, having my husband there is just like a comfy blanket. No one knows me better than he does. And he's great at comforting me when I need it. We're coming up on our 17th anniversary in May, and we were definitely made for each other.

I can't believe the surgery date is coming up so quickly now. Down to single digits, 8 days to go!:yahoo:

It seems like I'm running out of time. I feel like there is so much more for me to get done. But I'm just stressing myself out for nothing, I'm sure.

I'll be recovering at my in-laws so I'll be bringing what I need over there next weekend. Oh! And Friday is my birthday! Happy birthday to me, new hinges!!:thumb: What a gift!
  20. DallasSarah

DallasSarah Post-Grad

Hi Donna,

Congratulations on your upcoming anniversary that's fabulous and yes Happy Happy PRE birthday :) I had my surgery the day before my birthday I figured it was a great birthday gift to myself!

I'm sure it's going to go very fast now the time!

Have a good week Donna!

xxooxx
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.