BoneSmart® Hip / Knee Replacement Forum
Knee Replacement & Hip Replacement
Patient Advocacy & Online Community

1. PLEASE NOTE THAT ONE RECOVERY THREAD ONLY IS PREFERRED. PLEASE DON'T START ADDITIONAL THREADS ABOUT YOUR RECOVERY.

19 yo having THR

Discussion in 'Hip Replacement Pre-Op Area' started by beachladyblues, Jul 4, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. beachladyblues

beachladyblues New Member

Despite all that he has been through in the past (Pinning of fracture, trochanteric advancement, leg length differential (stopped the growth plates) and impingement in effort to delay this, it did buy some time. Usually, after the past surgeries, he was non-weight bearing for months.

Idiopathic juvenile osteoporosis causes fracturing easily. He will be coming home from hospital - no rehab. Ceramic on Ceramic recommended. Very concerned about just how long he might have this new hip. I do know at least it will not hurt like it does now. He now has the long term effects of IJO - Pain of : very flat feet esp when walking, back pain from past compressions, beginning of upper spinal curve, and limp from LLD.
  2. Kelsey

Kelsey Junior Member

So sorry to hear you and he have been through so much... Sounds like you are experts in the areas of recovery. I don't know about IJO and how that may impact the hip replacement- just wanted to say that many folks here will be wishing him the best. Please let us know how he is doing.
  3. Josephine

Josephine Forum Admin and Mother Hen Administrator

United Kingdom United Kingdom
    Gosh, poor young chap - he has been through the mill, hasn't he?

Well, you can rest easy as the statistics coming back these days are for very long lasting hip replacements. However, the osteoporosis does complicate things as you are well aware. But the general survivorship (for the implants) is currently running at about 20-25 years or more. You could read these which tell of hips lasting even longer but they are in two rather older patients! :wink: Hips that have lasted 40 and 32 years so it's not all doom and gloom!

where are you located? You haven't put that in your profile.
  4. Elle11

Elle11 Senior

Beachladyblues,
    So so sorry your son has been suffering so much. PLease know this will give him relief.
    Please keep up updated on how you both are doing.
    Warm wishes,
    Elle
  5. Poppet

Poppet Honourary Moderator

Australia Australia
    Beachladyblues

Welcome to BoneSmart, so sorry to hear about your son. As Jo says there is the added complication of Oesteoporosis, but nothing is unachievable with hip replacements these days.

I look forward to more updates from you as you progress through the journey. :)
  6. forbesy

forbesy Sr Bonesmartie

Hi beachlady

I have just been for my second pre op and talked to the surgeon about my hip replacement and the one i have which has been recomended metal on plastic appears to last for at least fifteen years.
    I realise he is only 19 but hopefully he will have some quality time ahead before considering another one.

Billy
  7. Josephine

Josephine Forum Admin and Mother Hen Administrator

United Kingdom United Kingdom
    Statistic seem to say that some plastic shows signs of wear after 15 years but the vast majority last a lot longer than that! :yes!:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.