BoneSmart® Hip / Knee Replacement Forum
Knee Replacement & Hip Replacement
Patient Advocacy & Online Community

[TKR] 12 Days Post-Op

Discussion in 'Knee Replacement Recovery Area' started by PineyWoods, Jul 6, 2013.

1. PineyWoods

PineyWoods Junior Member

United States United States
    Just saying 'Hi' and looking forward to checking back in as I progress. I returned from a 7 day stint at a rehab facility on Friday. Now waiting for Home Health to begin on Monday.
  2. bottomshollow

bottomshollow Moderator

welcome 23.jpg PineyWoods, so pleased that you have joined us here on the forum. Maybe you could tell us a bit about yourself and what lead you to having your TKR. In the meantime, I have some reading for you! The first set is essential reading, the second and third are useful and the fourth is just good information, but you will need it all.

Group A
    The importance of managing pain after a TKR and the pain chart
    Myth busting: no pain, no gain
    Swollen and stiff knee: what causes it?
    Progression of activity for TKRs

Group B
    How Long Does Healing Take ......
    Chart representation of TKR recovery
    Energy drain for TKRs
    Elevating your leg to control swelling and pain
    Using ice
    Constipation and stool softeners
    Sleep deprivation is pretty much inevitable - but what causes it?

Group C
    Knee Replacement - Where Am I in Recovery?
    So What Is It Going to Take? The Five “P’s” of Knee Recovery
    Work “Smarter” and not “Harder”
    About recovering a knee - from one who knows!
    Some suggestions for home physio (PT) and activity progress
    Myth busting: The "window of opportunity"

Group D
    MUA (manipulation under anaesthetic) and adhesions
    It's never too late to get more ROM!
    It's Worth the Wait for ROM
    Myth busting: on getting addicted to pain meds
    Post op blues is a reality - be prepared for it

Please don't be overwhelmed by the list. The articles are not lengthy and contain information that will answer many questions and help you make your recovery much easier on your knee and on you.

I also want to share the BoneSmart mantra with you. Following it to the letter will assure you of the best possible recovery.

- rest, elevate, ice and take your pain meds by the clock
    - if it hurts, don't do it and don't allow anyone - especially a physiotherapist - to do it to you
    - if your leg swells more or gets stiffer in the 24 hours after doing it, don't do it again
    - if you won't die if it's not done, don't do it
    - never stand when you can sit, never sit when you can lie down, never stay awake when you can go to sleep!

We are here to help in any way we can: answering questions and concerns; supporting and encouraging you from start to finish; giving you a place to vent, whine, complain if you need to; sharing experiences with one another; and having fun and some laughs along the way.

Take care and keep us posted. We care.
    • Like Like x 1
  3. Josephine

Josephine Administrator

United Kingdom United Kingdom
    I'm saying hi and welcome too! :)
  4. PineyWoods

PineyWoods Junior Member

Thank you for the welcome. I am waiting for home health to start in the morning. They will remove staples and check blood since I'm on Coumadin. My surgery was 6/24 and I do have some tingling in my foot/toes. It sort of comes and goes but I'm a little concerned with that. Also, what does everyone think of CPM machines? I thought it did a lot for me while in the hospital and rehab facility, but now home health doesn't think I need one as studies show they are not as effective as once thought. I'm thinking I may as well skip home health and move on to outpatient therapy.
  5. tashia

tashia Sr Bonesmartie

Welcome to this side were recover happens. Please make sure you rest, ice, elevate and pain control around the clock . Please keep us informed so we can help you and answer your questers. Take care. Tashia
  6. icecoldtony

icecoldtony New Member

Hi, I hope you are doing well. I see it's been 2 weeks since your surgery. Those first two weeks weren't much fun for me. I'm now almost to 5 weeks in and things are starting to get better for me. Every day since my surgery has been slightly better than the previous but when you're starting at such a bad place you really don't appreciate it, at least I didn't. I'm now starting to sleep better and starting to walk halfway normally. As for the CPM machine I have a friend who had a tkr several years ago and he swears by the CPM machine. According to him it enabled him to begin walking without the assistance of a cane or crutch or anything at two weeks. My doctor told me that studies have shown they don't help that much but if I wanted one he'd get me one. I had one for the first three weeks and I found it helpful. It wasn't a miracle worker for me but it kept my knee flexible. I have a friend who is a PT and she says they work well for people who will do their exercises and PT regimen. Like I said it helped me. Recovering from a tkr is much harder and more painful than I ever thought it would be but I'm looking forward to the day when I can do the things I haven't been able to do for so many years. Good luck and take care.
    • Useful Useful x 1
  7. stormy48

stormy48 New Member

Hi, I'm almost 3 weeks post-op and after discovering this site my spirits are lifted and I feel more comfortable with the feelings and emotions that I'm going through. I think sleep deprivation has a lot to do with it. I find that I grab a nap wherever and whenever the need takes me. I'm managing to walk a little further each day with the help of two sticks but I'm not pushing myself too much. Iv'e found that ice and elevation are invaluable and ease the pain and the tightness. I still have numb spots and tingling areas as the nerves are trying to repair themselves but at least I now understand what that is all about.
    Good luck with your recovery. You are doing fine and, like the rest of us, you just need to be patient. Keep up the good work :flwrysmile:
  8. PineyWoods

PineyWoods Junior Member

What about scar massage? When to start? Could the tingling/numbness in my toes be a sign of nerve damage? Will it right itself? I'm having a 'blue' day today....I know it's to be expected, just wasn't ready for it. Staples came out yesterday. Ice feels good!
  9. Dulcimer Diva

Dulcimer Diva Sr Bonesmartie

Ask your PT and OS about gentle scar massage. I know it's helped me (I'm 4 wks out as of tom'w). As for CPM, my surgeon doesn't use it; FWIW, at the rehab facility where I stayed, among >20 TKR patients (with >10 diff. OSes), only one was using it.
  10. PineyWoods

PineyWoods Junior Member

I'm still concerned with tingling in my foot/toes. Also, PT is so painful. I don't understand that forcing my flexion to 90 then a little more to get another degree or two is a good thing. I can't get it to 90 on my own, so what good is forcing it if I can't replicate that on my own with no forcing? Everyday is SO up and down for me. Yesterday was much better, today.....not so much. I'm swollen more, stiffer, sadder. Are you sure ice helps? And when elevating, just how much is necessary? Dr. appointment (first since surgery on June 24) is tomorrow at 9am.
    Thanks to any who take time to reply.....
  11. bottomshollow

bottomshollow Moderator

stop the insanity.jpg PineyWoods, please, please do not allow anyone to do this to you. It is insane. Please follow the mantra:

- rest, elevate, ice and take your pain meds by the clock
    - if it hurts, don't do it and don't allow anyone - especially a physiotherapist - to do it to you
    - if your leg swells more or gets stiffer in the 24 hours after doing it, don't do it again
    - if you won't die if it's not done, don't do it
    - never stand when you can sit, never sit when you can lie down, never stay awake when you can go to sleep!

IT WORKS!! I can personally attest to the fact that if you follow this to the letter. You are ONLY about 2 1/2 weeks post op---very, very early days in this recovery. The bones, ligaments, tendons, muscles and other soft tissues of your knee have been severely traumatized by the surgery. Your OS not only used a scalpel but also a hammer, saw and drill. Your poor knee needs a lot of TLC so it can begin to heal. There's plenty of time for exercise after all the swelling goes down. Point of fact: A SWOLLEN KNEE WILL NOT BEND.

Keep in mind that it is your knee that is in charge of this recovery---not you or your OS or the PT. Your knee will be calling the shots and if you are unkind to it, it will make you pay with pain and misery. And it will take longer to recover.

Please stop the insanity, sweetie. Take care of yourself and your new knee and keep us posted. We care. hugs 8.jpg
    • Like Like x 1
  12. PineyWoods

PineyWoods Junior Member

Left TKR was 6/24. I went to OS appointment Friday. I was 0/93. He said that if I hadn't improved at next appointment (8/2) he would schedule MUA. He switched my meds from Ultram to Norcor. The MUA speech really motivated me and the switch in meds helped tremendously. I feel like I've turned a corner and like I CAN do this! I've found that a nice knee massage with coconut oil helps me so much before and after PT or at home exercise. My OS does about 1200 knee replacements a year. He's good and he knows it. I go to him for his expertise...not his bedside manner.
  13. RestAssured

RestAssured Forum Advisor

Well, YOU have the final say as to whether YOU want an MUA or not! Our friends in the UK and other countries rarely have them. It seems like some US OS doctors have it in their head, that if one surgery was good, why not do another? There are people who have adhesions that form and need an MUA. What I think you need is to voice your opinion to your PT when it hurts. The PT is being paid by you as is the OS.

When I hear people go for an MUA, the OS will proudly proclaim, "I got 120-130 ROM!" Well when OS's are in training, they work on cadavers (dead people) and they proudly proclaim they get great ROM! :heehee:

The difference is, you are under, so he can move that knee as much as he wants.

When you wake up, the swelling, soreness, and trauma appear, so you might get 120 at first; but after that, you start losing ROM again.
    So, I know there are people who have special circumstances, but a pushy PT is causing your ROM to get worse instead of better.

The knee is in control, and it will remind you frequently for a while yet.

Good luck to you, and please read the library articles Judy sent you! They will explain a lot! :console2:
    • Agree Agree x 2
  14. puffin

puffin Graduate

Sweden Sweden
    :goodpost:
    • Like Like x 1
  15. Dulcimer Diva

Dulcimer Diva Sr Bonesmartie

Wait a minute: you are less than 3 weeks post-op, at 93 flex and your OS is already threatening you with an MUA???!!! His speech should have motivated you, all right--to actively question his logic!! Good that you've found a pain med that works. Not good that he's talking WAY prematurely about a procedure that will most likely be unnecessary (and if done so soon--less than 2 months out--may send you back to square one). Good for your surgeon that he does so many knee replacements.......but how many has he HAD?
    • Like Like x 2
  16. My way

My way Graduate

Canada Canada
    I'd forgotten this conversation I had with the PT in hospital. We were chatting one day and I asked her how many patients had to return for an MUA. It was because I had noticed that a lot of people on this forum have been told they would need an MUA early in their recovery that I thought to ask her. She said there were very, very few and it was a last resort.
  17. Roy Gardiner

Roy Gardiner Forum Advisor

Probably nothing, there's all sorts of stuff happens just after surgery.
    Quite right, it isn't. Stretch to the point of discomfort, not pain.
    Maybe caused by, and certainly not helped by, painful PT.
  18. PineyWoods

PineyWoods Junior Member

Thanks, all. I assure you...OS will NOT be doing any MUA on me any time soon. I had already decided that MUA now seems extremely premature. I am thinking he thought he was being 'motivating' by suggesting such a thing. The change in meds was very helpful. I'm riding my recumbent bike now twice a day for a total of about 20-30 minutes, I'm walking much better, and have a lighter spirit about me. I truly feel like I have turned a corner and am feeling encouraged and stronger.:dancy:
    • Like Like x 1
  19. bottomshollow

bottomshollow Moderator

wonderful world.jpg
    This is a very positive turn of events, PineyWoods. I am so happy for you; and if you follow the BoneSmart way, you'll continue to have a great recovery.

Take care and keep us posted. We care. A1.jpg
  20. Roy Gardiner

Roy Gardiner Forum Advisor

You don't need to do nearly that much. The bike is, at this early stage, a controlled way of stretching your leg -- you should not be training, which is what 20 or 30 minutes is. 20 or 30 seconds will give you a good stretch!

If it's too easy, move the saddle nearer the pedals (only a tiny bit at a time).