TKR 10k hopeful - May 31, 2015.

Status
Not open for further replies.

praise1989

Country
United States United States
I'm a newbie.... TKR (left) jan 28. Still doing home PT, but so far it hasn't been bad at all -ROM 70 due to swelling. Leg is just a little off from being straight. I can walk around house without using walker while focusing on not limping. Pain has been bothering me at night:/ I ice a lot!
I'm hoping to walk a 10k this summer and want to ask if that sounds realistic to others who have had TKR?? I've always been a walker and am hoping to really get back into it consistently.

I think your plan will work. I could ride my bike outside at 12 weeks for 20 miles. Just take it slow and easy right now---this is not the time to rush. I will give your the articles we recommend from our library for newbies!! Hopefully you are resting lots and have time to read!! They are all short articles.

First are the BoneSmart Recovery Philosophy. . .

- rest, elevate, ice and take your pain meds according to your prescription, don't wait for pain to occur, don't overwork.
- If it hurts, don't do it and don't allow anyone - especially a physical therapist - to do it to you
- If your leg swells more or gets stiffer in the 24 hours after doing it, don't do it.
- Take note of the BoneSmart view on exercise and how exercise may affect pain and swelling.
- If you won't die if it's not done, don't do it; if you must do it, short and sweet, not hours on your feet.
- Don't stand if you can sit; don't sit if you can lie down, don't stay awake when you can go to sleep

And here are some very crucial articles
The importance of managing pain after a TKR and the pain chart
Myth busting: no pain, no gain
Swollen and stiff knee: what causes it?
Activity progression for TKRs

Healing: how long does it take?
Chart representation of TKR recovery
Energy drain for TKRs
Elevation is the key
Ice to control pain and swelling

Home physio (PT) and activity progress: suggestions
Myth busting: the "window of opportunity" in TKR
Myth busting: on getting addicted to pain meds
Post op blues is a reality - be prepared for it

And wise words from members who have shared their experiences ...
Where are you in recovery?? (TKR)
Five “P’s” of knee recovery
TKR: work “smarter” and not “harder”
Recovering a knee - from one who knows!
It's never too late to get more ROM!
It's worth the wait for ROM

I think you will be able to do it ? Walking if fine ,running for me is a no no . Doctors orders ! Remember that iceing is a great natural pain reliever ! Are you elevating properly as well ? And taking your meds on schedule all day and throughout the night. . Sleep is very elusive but it will pass . Elevation helps with swelling if done properly. This recovery is measured in months not weeks !! Dont not allow a therapist to push or pull your knee with force. It can be stretched with compassion and gentleness. Remember this ! Best of luck and welcome to the otherside, Iceman

I agree with the posts above. I guess it depends a little on when during the summer your 10K walk is...later is obviously better. You'll know better when you see how you're doing at the 4 or 5 month mark. Just work up to distance walking very, very slowly so that you don't overdo it and cause pain/swelling. You'll need to get that swelling you have now under control too, so ice/elevate/rest as much as possible.

I can do 5km ten weeks after a PKR but you'll need to build up slowly and "listen "to your knee. Ice, Rest, elevate is the key in the early days. Reduce the swelling and you'll be good to exercise very gently and build up from there. You can't rush this.
Best wishes

Thanks for responses....Yes, I have the cryo/cuff for icing and I use it faithfully. I had to learn the hard way about staying ahead on my pain meds after being up all night in excruciating pain for not taking enough and doing PT. now I believe I have under control. Really hoping to go on 800mg of ibuprofen after post op visit next week. Is that realistic? The Percocet is good for pain, but zones me out sometimes:what::what:

@praise1989, I was a walker, too, and could t wait to get back to it. Because of the time of year and 60" of snow last winter, I didn't really start back into walking until spring. Before too long I was back to my four mile in 56 minute pace of many years ago. You can do it!!

Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart®

You might find that you can take Tramadol which is not as strong as Percoset. Also, you can drive while using Tramadol. Instead of ibuprofen, try taking Tylenol with the Tramadol. Tylenol is a "booster" drug and it makes the Tramadol act more effectively.

Be really careful with Ibruprofen and all NSAIDS . They can be brutal on your stomach and cause or worsen kidney damage too. I know from bitter experience. Tylenol is a better drug for analgesia and works well with Tramadol

Sounds like you're doing well so far. I see you say you can walk without the walker. Don't hesitate to use a cane or walker for longer distances. Not because you *can't* walk without them but to ease the strain on the knee.
Glad you've joined us :)

Actually, I need to clarify that I can walk without the walker inside of my home. I haven't even been outside since coming home from surgery. I will definitely be using a cane when going to post op appt next week.

Still having a problem with the whole "bending the knee" thing, but I keep working at it since it's the hardest for me to do...the other exercises are very doable. I do notice that when I skip a day of PT, I don't/can't walk/move as smooth as day before (more stiff).

:thumb: Yes, it's good to move the knee every day. You don't have to be super intense with it, but as you've noted, it does feel good to move it.

Hi Praise,
Yes, I think your goal is attainable but be mentally prepared to change plans if around the date things are not quite ready.
I would suggest mapping out a "training plan" starting from 10K day backward to keep yourself on track. That way you won't overtrain at the last minute and will have reasonable expectations. Ask your PT to look things over for you with a calendar in hand and set some goals.

Keep us posted.
Best wishes

CONSTIPATION :bricks::banghead::gaah: HELP.....I did warm prune juice, fleet suppositories, dulcolax, water water water:tantrum::tantrum:

Hi Praise -

First things first - MOM (milk of magnesia) full dose and you'll be good to go by tomorrow. I've kept the ongoing issue down by reducing my percocet and taking 200 mg of magnesium 3x daily...the regular mag is good for many things and really easy on your guts.

I'm 2 days ahead of you and it sounds like doing similarly. I am also walking inside without assistance and I've just started venturing outside with the aid of one crutch - it's been sunny and 80 in Austin, pretty impossible to stay indoors!

Thanks @TexasTee,

I really appreciate the advice and have taken the milk of magnesia along with having the fleece enema.....ooooh sweet relief:angel::angel: I had heard about constipation from the pain meds but didn't realize the experience would overtake my knee issue altogether. If there was pain in my knee today, it was superseded by the matter at hand. Never in my 48 years on this earth have I gone thru such turmoil in my body except for childbirth. I'm still not completely out of the woods, but I can see the light and am thankful and praising my God on high for touching my body today:yay:

I'm glad you're getting some relief! I remember that bunged up feeling all too well. I had to send my husband on an emergency mission to the urgent pharmacy, to buy a mini-enema.

Glad you're feeling better - that's no fun at all! I am taking daily magnesium and it's keeping the situation under control - as long as we're on the narcotics, it will continue to be an issue. Can you believe that people take this stuff...for FUN?! Bizarre.

No, I can't believe people take this drug for fun.... im looking forward to the day when I won't need these meds. My doctor stressed the importance of taking them to get my ROM increased and I have been faithfully taking about 5-6 day along with consistently doing PT and really pushing the knee back as far I can stand it and I've noticed the difference in my walking and less stiffness. The music in my head just got me thru a late night session of PT.....then I had an AH HA MOMENT.....listen to music while doing my physical therapy :happydance::happydance:why didn't I think of that before??? Anyway, this is definitely a journey I'll never forget and it hasn't been "a walk in the park" I am thankful that I've made it to this point and and can't wait for Spring:flwrysmile:

I love the AHA Moment and I'll borrow it, I feel like I'm barely making any difference with my PT, maybe music is just what I need to get this party started :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
All2Gd88
Recent bookmarks
Back