Bilateral TKR July 1 LHop - Bilateral TKR Recovery Thread

LHop

Country
United States United States
Sorry it took me some time to get back on this thread, My husband and I have been posting to a site called Caring Bridge for my family, friends and church congregation. Here was my post the day after:

I'm Alive!

By Lori Hopkins — Jul 2, 2015 10:32pm

Not gonna lie, yesterday was a rough one. When I first landed in recovery I thought I was going to be the poster child for bilateral knee replacement procedure. I was laughing, joking around with the nurses, feeling pretty good about myself. However, the longer I was in recovery and as the epidural wore off, the pain hit me like a freight train.

I had to wait five hours in recovery before getting a room. The nurse was working hard to get my pain under control, but my rock of a husband wasn't there and I could feel his absence. By the time I came upstairs to my room, I was moaning. When the medication finally kicked in a was so out of it I could barely talk.
Often knee patients are put on a machine that gently bends and flexes the knee. The PT nurse on call was stuck downstairs on an emergency call, so I didn't get set up on this contraption until after 9:00 pm. Consequently I was very stiif and my range was pretty limited.
They took me off the device around 12:30 am and with another good dose of meds, I fell asleep, cat napping until about 6 this morning.
Kevin arrived around 9:00 a.m to find me in a much better state than he left me last night. The PT had me shuffling around the room this morning, it hurt but after I ate some lunch, had another dose of meds, I was ready to try again. With Kevin, the girls, and friends cheering me on, I shuffled to the couch and back. The hardest part (other than the discomfort) is trying to re-train my body to straighten my back and knees.
Kevin and the girls left around 6:30 p.m. and I don't expect them back. I ate dinner and promptly fell asleep. My goal for the night is to get as much rest as I can so I can hit the PT hard tomorrow. He will make the call as to whether I get to ho home or have to go to a rehab facility.

Friday - July 3rd.
I would have really liked another day at the hospital. I wasn't feeling very confident getting up and down and the pain and stiffness is pretty severe, then as Kevin says
Houston... The Eagle has landed.

By Lori Hopkins — 22 hours ago

Well... it all happened kinda sudden like. One minute, the PT guy is saying he'll see you tomorrow for another round. Then the Surgeon pops in and "Whammo!", the next thing you know your nurse is apologizing for the rush, asks if you have all your stuff and they kick you to the curb.
Fast-forward a couple of hours, add in visits to two different pharmacies to find meds with Lori still in the truck, and our patient is now home in her own bed, hooked back up to the limb cooling unit and enjoying a wonderful meal from a loving and gracious church member (Thanks V & family!). Next up, more meds and a nap as is the ordered regimen.
Impi (our dog), is especially pleased to have Mommy home and is laying at her feet as I type this out.
Between the physical efforts and meds, Lori is pretty wiped out but plans to post when she feels able, probably tomorrow sometime.
Happy Independence Day one and all and thanks again for all of your love and prayers! - KH

Saturday, July 4th
So here I am. Home on the Fourth of July. This morning I got to wash up and Kevin rigged up the shower chair on the edge of the shower and washed my hair. All of this took over an hour and I was exhausted by the time it was over. I have difficulty straightening and bending my knees. When I do stand up my posture and leg positions are very crooked. As the PT at the hospital said, I will probably grow two inches taller after this process. My knees have taken years to warp this way, and it will take some time to relearn to walk and stand.

My knees are wrapped with compression wraps and I am using the polar ice machine continuously. The pain is manageable with my Oxy which I am taking approximately every 4-6 hours. I have pillows under them to raise them up. Thank goodness we were able to get the equipment we needed from my friend's mom. The potty chair has been a godsend as it extends high enough that I barely have to bend my knees to sit on it.

I will receive PT and a visit from the nurse tomorrow. So we will see how that goes. I'm sorry it took some time to get your pain managed @jbrooklyn, that's what happened with me while in recovery. I also am pretty stoic, but when I get to the point where I'm asking, I need them to respond NOW!

Keep on truckin!

Last edited by a moderator:
@LHop welcome home....... I was looking for your post so I am so happy you are home and in the arms of your loved ones....... thank you for posting the truth about the pain...... I am sending you prayers from CT. 7/16 is coming quick now.

Wow, good report, Lori. thought it would be on the Recovery side, but finally thought to look here. Glad you're home and in a familiar environment. Did you get the motion machines for both knees or just one? Don't think my doc is going to put me on one, so they will probably get me up and moving as soon as they can. Anyway, good to see you coherent and informative. BTW, my sister and sister-in-law both go by Lori. Small world.

Welcome home!

Jean

LTKR (Stryker Triathlon): 21 April 2015
Right Knee Arthroscopy: 25 July 2006
Left Knee Arthroscopy: 10 February 2005

Good to hear from you and to know you're home. Looking forward to reading more as your recovery progresses.

Lori-
Yay! Welcome to the other side. Really good to know how things are. It sounds like you're nicely set up at home now, but that is SO soon to be home after a btkr. (Though I cannot wait to be home, too.)

Regarding getting kicked to the curb: I can relate. I'm been less than thrilled with some of the pain management and PT decisions made on my behalf . Clearly there are points you have to hit to go home, and they seem to push relentlessly toward those points rather than taking the best care possible. For example, they get you off all but oral meds asap, and try to get you walking a bunch--both at a time that might feel way too soon.

Those are both goals the patient shares, obviously, but the timing of when it's ready to happen is an important piece. the moments when it pays to have a stubborn streak.

Anyhow, sounds like being home is good now. Any aspect of it is manageable once the pain is under control. (Note: Under control doesn't mean gone--it just means at a dealable level!)

Welcome back, and godspeed on the healing. xx

@LHop from one BTKR alumnus to another, I officially welcome you to the "Other Side"!

I moved your post and the ensuing posts to the recovery thread so we could take better care of you and find your progress easier.

I am glad that everything is going well for you--please keep these reports coming---we will be tracking your progress!

Hi LHop, now three BTKR persons on the thread. Looks to me like you're progressing at Warp 10, top stuff.

Take it easy, please resist the temptation to try to speed up recovery.

And our approach in a nutshell:

- rest, elevate, ice,take your pain meds by prescription schedule (not when pain starts!), don't overwork.
- If it hurts, don't do it and don't allow anyone - especially a physical therapist - to do it to you
- If your leg swells more or gets stiffer in the 24 hours after doing it, don't do it.
- Take note of the BoneSmart view on exercise and how exercise may affect pain and swelling.
- If you won't die if it's not done, don't do it; if you must do it, short and sweet, not hours on your feet.
- Don't stand if you can sit; don't sit if you can lie down, don't stay awake when you can go to sleep

Hi Lori, @LHop
Welcome to the other side!

I see that Roy has already given you one version of BoneSmart's recovery philosophy. Here's another, together with some additional reading for you:

First is the BoneSmart recovery philosophy: ....
- rest, elevate, ice and take your pain meds by the clock
- if it hurts, don't do it and don't allow anyone - especially a physiotherapist (PT) - to do it to you. Exercise only gently.
- if your leg swells more or gets stiffer in the 24 hours after doing it, don't do it again
- if you won't die if it's not done, don't do it
- never stand when you can sit, never sit when you can lie down, never stay awake when you can go to sleep!
- be active as much as you need to be but not more than is necessary, meaning so much that you end up being in pain, exhausted or desperate to sit down or lay down!

Next is a FAQ (Frequently Asked Questions) thread.

And here are some very crucial articles
The importance of managing pain after a TKR and the pain chart
Myth busting: no pain, no gain
Swollen and stiff knee: what causes it?
Activity progression for TKRs

Healing: how long does it take?
Chart representation of TKR recovery
Energy drain for TKRs
Elevation is the key
Ice to control pain and swelling

Home physio (PT) and activity progress: suggestions
Myth busting: the "window of opportunity" in TKR
Myth busting: on getting addicted to pain meds
Post op blues is a reality - be prepared for it
Sleep deprivation is pretty much inevitable - but what causes it?

Best wishes. :flwrysmile::flwrysmile:

I'm in total amazement....I've said it time and time again, how does anyone do bilateral?!? I have my knees 5 weeks apart and don't know how I'll manage THAT! You are my new hero and I'll be watching closely!

Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart Forum

total amazement....I've said it time and time again, how does anyone do bilateral?!?
In looking back, I would not have done it any other way. It can be a bit more challenging, as you do not have a non-surgical knee, but you are still only going to have one surgery, one hospital stay, and one recovery.

I am sure that I would do the same thing the same way all over again.

Today was a busy day! The visiting nurse and the PT came. I got my exercises and some of them were challenging. One of my knees seems to hurt more than the other, although it might be all in my head.

@LHop how are you doing today? Just thinking about you today and wondering how your Sunday was!! I hope you enjoyed your day. Who is going to be with you this week?

Hi I hope your doing well. Welcome to the other side..

Xxxx

FaithMitchmommy
PKR December.1,2014
TKREV MARCH.2,2015

congrats 24.jpg
@LHop, you are now an
3a official kneesie.jpg
!

I have moved your last post into this recovery thread for you. Please keep all your posts about your recovery in this one thread so it will be easy for us to go back and read your history before responding to a question or concern. In addition, the thread becomes a journal of your recovery for those who come along later and want to read about you. So, please post in this thread from now on when you want to give an update or ask a question. If you have questions or concerns that need an immediate answer, please tag an admin, a mod, or other members or all three.

If you decide you'd like a different thread title at any point, you can change it using the Thread Tools button at the top right of the page or just post what you want here and we'll get it changed for you. THANKS!

If you are having a problem locating your thread, here is a link with how to do it: How can I find my threads and posts?

I'm in total amazement....I've said it time and time again, how does anyone do bilateral?!? I have my knees 5 weeks apart and don't know how I'll manage THAT! You are my new hero and I'll be watching closely!
In looking back, I would have done it any other way. It can be a bit more challenging, as you do not have a non-surgical knee, but you are still only going to have one surgery, one hospital stay, and one recovery..
That's 'wouldn't' of course :). And I 100% agree.

Hi, Lori-

Just a friendly hello, and checking in to see how you are feeling and managing. Hoping it is thumbs up.

Today feels like a good one for me--have more strength and energy, pain being managed effectively, etc.

Welcome to the recovery side, in no time at all you will feel great and it just keeps getting better.

Take it easy....and please check in now and then to let us know how you are doing! Let us know if you have any questions or just need a shoulder to lean on as you recover.

Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart®

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• djklaugh
    Staff member since December 30, 2020

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
August it is
Recent bookmarks
Back