Think I am ready

Status
Not open for further replies.

gogreen

Country
United States United States
Got confirmed for June 12, so its getting closer. Was having a little trouble today after all day going up and down hills and walking the halls at middle school (I am a special ed aide) for some reason my knee hurt more than my hip (which is bone on bone). I went to chiropractor and it helped alot. I am having surgery 2 days after school gets out and 1 week after my sons wedding. Will be dancing with my son, climbing up into a vineyard for the ceremony. Dinner with the inlaws on Thu., maybe winetasting and rehearsal on Fri., and wedding and reception on Sat. Should be interesting.

Oh my! You better take it easy. I'm scheduled for June 8th, if I decide on going forward with this surgeon. I was all set for May 18th and then due to a huge mess due to insurance reasons (they told me prior to my first appt. that they accepted my insurance , but they don't), I suddenly find myself starting all over again! Bummer!
It sounds like you have everything under control. :) Good luck and well wishes!

Right now I have great insurance, so now is the best time even though sometimes I feel it might not be that bad. Its going to have to be done sometime so here goes.

Wow @gogreen ! Your recovery will be a much needed vacation from your busy life! My daughter got married in September; outdoor wedding on a golf course with LONG hike from the clubhouse to the ceremony green with two flights of stairs along the way. I got an injection one week before so I could walk her down the aisle with minor limping. Which reminds me, some jerk at work today held the door open for me and said, "I have to hold it open for old people who are falling apart like a cheap watch." (Your time's coming, buddy!)

Anyway, you mentioned your knee hurting. I went to my ortho surgeon on Tuesday with knee pain and found out that I have moderate arthritis which is being aggravated by my right hip weakness. :bawl:So he'll give me a steroid injection on the left knee while replacing my right hip so that my knee can handle my hip during recovery. (I guess I am falling apart!) I wonder if an injection would help you get through all the activities you mentioned? Or maybe it's too soon before the surgery? Not sure if there are any restrictions to that. Plus my understanding is that there has to be some cartiledge there to lubricate; sounds like you have none. But have you ever had an injection, and if so, did it help?

@gogreen Hi fellow Michigander! I had Bilateral THR done last July and it has been wonderful in healing. I had a knee start bothering me and after all the rest i noticed that all issues were gone. Good Luck!

that what I'm hoping. Hope its just refered pain and nothing more serious. got too much I want to do this summer!

It's not at all uncommon for people to get referred pain in the knee from an O/Ahip. In fact, it's quite often the knee pain that takes them to the doctor first!

I think you might find these helpful, have a read!

First are the BoneSmart mantras ....
- rest, elevate, ice and take your pain meds by the clock
- if it hurts, don't do it and don't allow anyone - especially a physiotherapist - to do it to you
- if your leg swells more or gets stiffer in the 24 hours after doing it, don't do it again
- if you won't die if it's not done, don't do it
- never stand when you can sit, never sit when you can lie down, never stay awake when you can go to sleep!
- be active as much as you need to be but not more than is necessary, meaning so much that you end up being in pain, exhausted or desperate to sit down or lay down!

Pain management and the pain chart
Healing: how long does it take?
Chart representation of THR recovery
Dislocation risk and 90 degree rule
Energy drain for THRs
Pain and swelling control: elevation is the key
Activity progression for THRs
Home physio (PT)
Post op blues is a reality - be prepared for it
Myth busting: on getting addicted to pain meds
Sleep deprivation is pretty much inevitable - but what causes it?

Last edited by a moderator:
what are the chances I will be able to return to work on July 7 if I have anterior left THR on June 12. I will work with a special ed. summer program with middle school students, 2 days a week, 3 to 4 hours a day. 1 of those days will involve various field trips. I am healthy aside from hip issue, in relatively good shape.

@gogreen Well, 26 days and 2-3 days in the hospital. With all the variables and only 3 weeks to handle special ed. teenagers is a tough go. Even with a perfect surgery you have to think about your long term health. I would like to hear what the OS thinks. Good Luck!

what are the chances I will be able to return to work on July 7 if I have anterior left THR on June 12.
Very unlikely that you will be able to return to work in such a short time. Less than 4 weeks out you are still very much in healing mode.

Although you may not have any post op restrictions, you will still be moving about a bit slower than normal. Then there is Energy drain for THRs The post op mega tired feeling takes a few weeks to resolve.

Your surgeon may indeed tell you that you can do this. However your hip may have other ideas. Rushing recovery will only set you back and may indeed cause you long term problems.

Well, here is my thinking. I am a class room aide ( not the teacher ) We have a small class ( 9 students or less ). It is only 3 hrs a day, 2 days a week. I will have a handicap parking pass so I can park close to any thing we do. class room activities involve cooking and daily living activities. I have been with these kids all year, so they will be eager to help. Their school year teacher is having a baby in June, so they will be with a new teacher. it would be helpful for them to have a familiar face.

@gogreen I can see you have analyzed your work situation pretty thoroughly. However you know that saying "the best-laid plans of mice and men often go awry" ? I think as you read other forum members' recovery threads you will see an astonishing variation in how quickly or slowly different people get well. And it's not always who you think will do the best (the young athlete may lag far behind somebody's great-grandma). So I think it's great to take a positive attitude and hope to be back at work soon, but you (and your employer) must leave it open to change depending on how things go.

Maybe the best thing you can do to get a sense of this is to read a few different recovery threads. That's what so great about this site; you can really be well informed by learning from the experience of those who have done this already.

class room activities involve cooking and daily living activities.
At less than 4 weeks out you may be just coming to grips with these activities at home. Just saying..... I think Sage has a good idea - see how it goes.

Hi @gogreen
From my vaste experience of one hip op (!) i would say be cautious about work plans. I found i developed slowly but surely but at 4 weeks whilst I could walk reasonably what really got me was sudden movements. If i moved quickly to turn off a boiling saucepan or catch my grandson before he fell, my hip would be jarred and painful for several days. Slow measured movement was fine but not the unexpected! It did all improve but I was continually learning not to over do it. What ever you choose hope it goes well for you.

Time is getting closer so more to think about. I am allergic to aspirin so no nsaids. Will this affect pain control?

@gogreen, I wish I could offer you some encouragement but I just don't see you returning to work that soon. Have you looked through the recovery thread to see how others are recovering? I will be 5 weeks post surgery and could not do a school field trip. Your body will still be in healing mode, after all this is a major surgery.

Status
Not open for further replies.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
All2Gd88
Recent bookmarks
Back