Raffs is getting ready!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Raffs

graduate
Country
United Kingdom United Kingdom
RPKR scheduled for June 30th. Very nervous. But also cannot wait to start living my life again without arthritis pain. Have learnt so much already from reading the posts on this forum. Am sure I'm going to have a million questions....!

First question: will I be ok without a recliner? Our house is pretty small so I wouldn't want to buy one as we don't really have room for it after my recovery period. Should I consider renting one? Is this even possible?

Thanks.

@Raffs I didn't use a recliner. We don't really have the room either. I slept in our own bed with husband from the start. He was very patient about night time wanderings, me reading at 2 am etc. But I do think that sleeping in the bed helped my sleep patterns get back to normal more quickly. We did have a spare room downstairs with bathroom either of us could have used but it worked out fine upstairs.

For about 3 weeks, I mostly stayed in bed - there's a bathroom next door and that made it easier for me. I did go up and downstairs a couple of times a day from about day 5/6 but really just elevated and iced and rested so the bed seemed a good place. Resting is so important that what you really need is a comfy, quiet place to do it whether bed or recliner.

After that my time was split between sofa and bed during the day. It helped that we are both retired and my husband could help me a lot. He did all the cooking for the first month but did get fed up of carting trays up and down, hence the using the stairs quite a bit which also turned out to be no bad thing in the end.

Yay @Raffs... Official countdown begins! I don't have a recliner. I've slept in my bed from the start. It took help from my husband to get in and out for a few days, but i eventually figured it out.

Through the first 10 days, I've spent most of my time in bed. That is mostly because I have a very energetic 3 yr old who would be all over me on the couch. Now that it's the weekend, I am hoping to spend more time downstairs since my husband will be home to help with my little one. (I didn't want the sitter to be burdened with me during the week).

I came home from the hospital with some gear that made the last 10 days much easier- a leg lifter strap, a walker, a toilet riser with handles, and a shower bench.

Those few things and the support of the people on this site have helped immeasurably!

Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum

You'll be fine without a recliner. I bought one specifically for this, used it, and loved it, but it was not necessary. Use what you have. You may consider certain modifications to what you have -- usually risers if chairs or couch are too low, but no single thing is essential.

Jean

LTKR (Stryker Triathlon): 21 April 2015
Right Knee Arthroscopy: 25 July 2006
Left Knee Arthroscopy: 10 February 2005

help 4.jpg
@Raffs, Here's a bushel basket of things to help after a joint replacement:
Recovery Aids: A comprehensive list for hospital and home.

I didn't own a recliner and had no place to out one. I slept (if that's what you want to call it) in my own bed. During the day I was downstairs on a comfy chair with an ottoman. Had lots of pillows there and kept my leg elevated and ice machine humming! I managed just fine. I have pretty severe insomnia and can honestly say I have never in my life fallen asleep on a chair or on a sofa, so I knew it would have to be the bed or nothing.

Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart®

I also used a chair and ottoman with pillows to elevate. That's where I spent most of my recovery. I went to bed every night, not necessarily to sleep. I'm a side sleeper, so sleeping with my leg elevated on my back was difficult. For the first 3-4 weeks I napped off and on all day and I've never been a napper. You'll be fine without a recliner, but we have places in the US that will rent such things if needed, if you're worried about it.

Thank you all very much. Really appreciate you taking the time to reply.

Is it best to try to elevate the knee whilst sleeping in bed? I think I read somewhere that rolled up blankets or towels under the mattress works well and stops the bed turning into Fort Pillow?!!

Well, that's one way to do it! You will need to elevate your leg after surgery as it helps control the swelling and therefore the pain. You will probably benefit from reading the recovery articles

First are the BoneSmart mantras ....
- rest, elevate, ice and take your pain meds by the clock
- if it hurts, don't do it and don't allow anyone - especially a physiotherapist - to do it to you
- if your leg swells more or gets stiffer in the 24 hours after doing it, don't do it again
- if you won't die if it's not done, don't do it
- never stand when you can sit, never sit when you can lie down, never stay awake when you can go to sleep!
- be active as much as you need to be but not more than is necessary, meaning so much that you end up being in pain, exhausted or desperate to sit down or lay down!

Next is a FAQ (Frequently Asked Questions) thread.

And here are some very crucial articles
The importance of managing pain after a TKR and the pain chart
Myth busting: no pain, no gain
Swollen and stiff knee: what causes it?
Activity progression for TKRs

Healing: how long does it take?
Chart representation of TKR recovery
Energy drain for TKRs
Elevation is the key
Ice to control pain and swelling

Home physio (PT) and activity progress: suggestions
Myth busting: the "window of opportunity" in TKR
Myth busting: on getting addicted to pain meds
Post op blues is a reality - be prepared for it
Sleep deprivation is pretty much inevitable - but what causes it?

And then some wise words from members who have shared their experiences ...
Where are you in recovery?? (TKR)
Five “P’s” of knee recovery
TKR: work “smarter” and not “harder”
Recovering a knee - from one who knows!
It's never too late to get more ROM!
It's worth the wait for ROM

I slept in a separate bed from my husband for about the first month.
Before my surgery, he elevated the bed by placing bricks under the feet at the foot of the bed. That worked well.
(He wrapped the bricks in brown paper, so that they didn't mark the carpet.)

Hi @Raffs - you may want to browse this information also...

The following is a link to an article which provides the science regarding the healing process beneath and around the implant and the approximate timeframes for our bodies healing phases and processes.

Healing Phases & Nutrition

Nutrition plays a huge part in surgical recovery, in fact it is one of the 'forgotten topics' of recovery..

This second link is to other nutritional articles which you may find interesting, including one relating to bone health.

Nutritional advice for pre op and recovery

This third link refers to my ongoing research..

nutritional-snippets-did-you-know

Feel free to tag me if you have any questions regarding nutrition.

However, I would appreciate if you (or any other member) do not request advice regards supplements as I would be breaking the Common Law Act (under which I am governed) to prescribe outside of my practice, especially via the Internet.

So, one month today I hope to be on the other side, depending on what time my surgery is. The preparations have begun. Work have been informed and are very supportive. Lists are being written of things to do, things to ask and things to buy (I love lists......!). Pre-op PT going well. Date for pre-admission assessment arranged (June 24th). New specs purchased (one old pair currently held together with superglue - not a good look). Going to eat well over the next few weeks to keep my weight under control and give my body what it needs to aid healing. The nerves are still very much in abundance but I'm now in "let's do this" mode. Thinking about how much I want to visit Disney World next May approx 10 months after surgery - that's my goal right now anyway.

@Raffs I made long term goals as well and can tell you it felt wonderful to see those goals realized. Best wishes to you as you prep and undergo your TKR.

Saw my PT tonight for my last pre-op session. He said that I'll probably go in the hydrotherapy pool at the hospital with the in-house PT the day after surgery. That sounds quite soon! Anybody have any experience/views on this please?

Most people are advised to wait until their wound is completely healed before undertaking water therapy.

However, I believe that the water therapy units in hospital are subject to very strict water cleanliness regulation and there is less risk in them than in a public pool.
I expect you will have a waterproof dressing on your wound.

We have had a few members who had water therapy in hospital and found it helpful.

The hospital I'm in has a hydro pool and it has a very high concentration of chemicals in it to avoid infections. Take cream to protect your skin if it is sensitive. Unfortunately I've been unable to use it because of being unwell after a pain med reaction. A shame as I love the water. However, there's plenty of time and the physio I will be using near home also has a hydro pool. I've been given special dressings ready for it and told not to go near an ordinary pool for a couple of months - I was told that last time around too.
My knee feels really good. I know I just have to be patient now and let some sound healing take place!

@Raffs I just thought of something that you may like to have on hand! I have had to increase my water intake considerably due to the unfortunate impact of painkiller on your bathroom "duties". Especially if you take stool softeners, you need lots of water for them to be effective. (Trust me on this!!)

I have a 1 gallon water cooler that my husband fills with ice and water every morning. It's always next to me, easy to refill my glass, and gives me a good gauge of how much water I'm drinking each day. Got it at the supermarket for a few $$ and will come in handy for future outdoor events!

Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum

Thanks. Guess I'll take my swimsuit and see what happens. I assume that skinny dipping would be frowned upon? :rotfl:

@JennyLynne thanks for the tip. I suffered from mild bathroom issues after the arthroscopy in February due to painkillers - it was only for a day or two but it was SO uncomfortable! I'll have a look in the stores at the weekend - they are full of outdoor stuff at the moment as it is supposedly "summer" here....not that you'd know it although they've promised around 75 degrees on Friday which will be very welcome if it's true.

Hope your preparation is going well and you are looking forward to the pain free days to come!
Although being very poorly because of the meds has been a trial I'm ok with my PKR. It's quite comfortable really and a bit of ice chases any twangs away. Stopping myself from doing too much is hard.
Once you get those first few days under your belt there's a boring recovery period but we have to concentrate on the great benefits to be had!

@Raffs i had Bilateral TKR May 18. 4 days in hospital and then the balance in another in patient hospital. I slept a lot in the hospital which is expected but I paid close attention to the PT.
Home now with home PT.

Remember to pack some liquid soap of your choice. Hospital liquid soaps and shampoos are awful. Also I packed facial wipes which I used on my face, neck, shoulders the first few days (cause you can't shower). You get my drift.

Pack loose fitting clothes. Pants should be pull up stretch pants and comfy tops. I brought 10 pairs of underwear and 4 pajama dresses to keep myself fresh. My hair is long so I kept them in pony tails even when I sleep so the hair would not matt. I packed a few magazines, foundation, blush and lipstick. Less, in my opinion, is better. I bought shoes to slide into but 1 size larger although I wore the hospital socks which were great.

No recliner in my home. But my husband is sleeping in the next bedroom because I toss and turn and he did that so he could be fresh for me the next morning to take care of me. Lots for him to do. As I type this its 1 09 am. I wake up at crazy hours. I nap during the day, a huge help besides work fro home. My In home PT person gave me PT assignments which I do 3 times a day. Yes work is involved when you get out but it's worth it. I am freeing myself from pain and if I have to tolerate some pain now, it's worth it!

You will do great. And if your friends come to visit you in the hospital and your sleeping, then sleep. They will understand.

Pain meds help a great deal. Don't try to be a hero. Take them. I am now on mild analgesic and doing well. I am rooting for you.

Status
Not open for further replies.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
HikerWalker
Recent bookmarks
Back
Top Bottom