Can't believe I'm finally gonna do it!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm new too but it sounds like your decision to have this done was a good one. I am having my left knee done on May 1 and feel the same apprehension you do but also know that I just can't go on with the pain I've been having. I am sure we will both be back to our active lives soon enough!

Your life will change unmeasurably . I was so confident before my surgery i was borderline cocky . I had read bonesmart for 3 months everyday before my surgery. I had every post op home supply . Food stored and a trundle bed in my living room with body length pillows for proper elevation. I stayed downstairs for the first week. I was scared of the 15 stairs for alittle while. Nevertheless my surgery went exceptionally well and my recovery just as well. The first week was a bit twilight zonish but thats because i was given way too much medication. Be aware of the lack of sleep post op and the dreade constipation. You have been warned ! Best of luck , Iceman

This forum is so helpful...I really appreciate all the info. Now my worry for the moment has shifted to if my husband really knows what he is in for? ??? Or kids are 10 and 12, so pretty self sufficient, but still mom is going completely outta commission for a while. Poor guy!

Now my worry for the moment has shifted to if my husband really knows what he is in for? ??? Or kids are 10 and 12, so pretty self sufficient, but still mom is going completely outta commission for a while
Regardless of how much we read and prepare, it is a bit difficult to understand the enormity of the situation, but I am sure that our husband will fare just fine---logistically, you can prepare meals ahead of time and freeze them, and you might ask some friends, neighbors, or fellow church-goers to help out a little, too.

Getting a TKR and the ensuing recovery is more like a team effort!

Well after several good daysand the thoughts that I hear everyone has maybe I don't really need to do this, today has been the day from hell. severe pain again going all the way at the back of my leg to my hip, could barely get my knee bent far enough to get in the van after work. this solidifies for me that I made the right decision. it's amazing how a couple good days can make you forget all about the bad ones! so hopefully after my surgery On June 4th, I will forget all about these bad arthritis days. today is one of those days that I just don't think the recovery from TKR could be any worse than this!

@kmann ...I completely understand ! When you're our age...even with severe chronic pain it is a lot to wrap your head around. When you hear "your knee will not get better" "when your ready we would recommend Tkr" it's shock...then fear...then an acceptance. It's a really big deal! I have struggled with the decision also, I will be scheduling for early August, although I secretly hold out a little hope my knee will feel better since my arthroscopy...it just doesn't, in fact it feels worse than it did prior. I hope you have a super successful surgery, you have been in pain for far to long!!

Arrgg!! Left work to a message on cell that OS is going to be out of town on my surgery date, and we have to reschedule to the next week. Will find out new date tomorrow. I know its only a week, but I finally surrendered, so it stinks to wait another week...guess I will just have more time to get things ready!!

That is so disappointing. Might only be a week but we pysch ourselves up for the op (l know l do).

Well after several good daysand the thoughts that I hear everyone has maybe I don't really need to do this, today has been the day from hell.
We have all been on that teeter-totter---the "It is not that bad and I do not need to do this" type of ride.

In actuality, the arthritis is slow and insidious, but it does slowly attack us and we do not realize that our lifestyle and our activities have become somewhat (or very) dysfunctional. What is now normal to us is, in actuality, abnormal.---taking pills, wearing braces, icing, etc---and, when we have a TKR done, after we are recovered, we reclaim our life---and its normalcy.

Arrgg!! Left work to a message on cell that OS is going to be out of town on my surgery date, and we have to reschedule to the next week. Will find out new date tomorrow. I know its only a week, but I finally surrendered, so it stinks to wait another week...guess I will just have more time to get things ready!!
That sucks. We not only get psyched up to get this done, we have all sorts of prep set in motion. My OS had the flu two weeks before my surgery, I lived in fear he would cancel or bump me to accommodate the people who got bumped when he was sick.

:flwrysmile: Hoping the surgery date sticks this time. I would be beside myself....just wanting to get it over with. Sorry to hear this news. Keep your chin up you will be on the road to recovery soon!

Thanks all. .nurse at OS office is wonderful.I had more questions I forgot to ask at my appointment..she talked to OS and got right back to me. Found out I will have a little extra surgery probably at time of TKR..due to how badly my patella tracks..guess they will likely do a tibial tubercle transfer at the same time...and clean out scar tissue from prior surgeries...hope this doesnt extend my recovery time...but glad...it sounds like they r really gonna fix me up!!

I do not believe that this should extend your recovery time. A TKR can take a rather lengthy time to reach full recovery, and this will help you in the long run, any way.

Remember that a full recovery can take upwards to a year to complete---most are indeed shorter, but I would not think that this extra activity during surgery should slow you down.

Status
Not open for further replies.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
rubyedith
Recent bookmarks
Back
Top Bottom