PKR It's a knees up - SuperSnappers recovery

Hi @SuperSnapper Once you are able to be home and on your schedule, icing will be much easier and more effective. In addition to the cryocuff, I have 4 gel packs that I use in rotation. The gel packs are important because they allow you to ice the back of your knee along with the front. I use a loose ace bandage wrap to keep them in place. Best wishes! :)

Good to see you back snaperooo keep those medics right about pain relief tell them if they dont listen you have an ogre friend RRRRRRRRRRRRRROAR

Legin THR Sep 14

@Legin , @sandbar525 I think I'm going to have to depend on the ice a lot. I too have cryo cuff and gel packs. The physio who brought my ice said to only ice for short periods 10 minutes! and the ice packs aren't meant to be too cold or they will damage my leg!! My pain killers to go home were going to be codeine and paracetamol until I queried them now I should get oxynorm and paracetamol for a week. Not exactly generous!
However have climbed up and down stairs, walked along corridor and done all the exercisesk
asked. Some of which I don't intend to do again got a long time!

Hope you are both going along nicely

Mary x

Im grand like a grand piano although in need of drastic tuning. Keep spirits up

Legin THR Sep 14

@SuperSnapper - the physio is going well. I have my first session for the day in 45 minutes at 8:15. I haven't tackled stairs yet, still working on the strength in both legs. I'm surprised about the lack of ice available to you. When you get home you'll have more control. My cryo cuff sits by my bed and as long as it's filled with ice and I can reach the plug - I can put it on when ever I need it. Hope your pain control is getting better.

@Ellejay - one thing I''ve found in this rehab hospital, is that they won't let you keep I've on for longer than 20 minutes. You can put it on as often as you want in a day - but no longer. I guess it's just their protocol. When I get home, I'll be able to do what I want ;-)

he physio who brought my ice said to only ice for short periods 10 minutes! and the ice packs aren't meant to be too cold or they will damage my leg!!
Nonsense!! If you put a cloth between the ice packs or the cryo-cuff---you can ice for as long as you want!

Ten minutes is not even a close to being enough time icing!

Once you get home you will be able to ice properly and get the job done right!

@sandbar, @Threads @referee54 I am amazed at how different the protocols are across different hospitals! The nurses keep going on about how they don't give opiates to go home as I might get addicted! This is after 3 days.

I am hoping to get home tomorrow ,it should have been today but I've been really wiped out by the OxyContin. Why anyone would want to take it voluntarily is beyond me!

Still tomorrow will do but I need some rest. I am going to ice,ice,ice and ice.
Thaks for all the support. It means a lot.

The nurses keep going on about how they don't give opiates to go home as I might get addicted! This is after 3 day
Wow!!! My OS told me not to worry---that I was taking it for a reason and that I would know when I did not need it anymore.
but I've been really wiped out by the OxyContin.
It did much the same to me---it wiped me out and when I was awake, I felt like my world was seen through a giant cotton ball.

@SuperSnapper, I hope you get the pain meds straightened out. I can't shine coming home with just codine and Tylenol. I guess I'm a total wimp. I think you will do much better at home. Ice is your friend. -- Joni

The OxyContin did, indeed, wipe me out ---more like knocked me out---but it did take care of the pain, and I had to be willing to make that trade-off. It did seem, though, that my world was hazy...

@referee I'm just being prescribed paracetamol and codeine to go home. Ouch! Not happy . The cryo cuff is going to be overworked ! The consultant who' prescribing told me to keep on top of the pain ! I'm not sure that's going to be doable . It's the Chronic Kidney Disease that's the issue. Feeling a bit apprehensive now. Especially as I'm expected to do leg lifts, lunges, etc 10 x 3 daily.
Hope everyone else is OK.

It's interesting how different bodies react differently to meds. My neighbour (bilateral hips) was getting migraines from OxyContin and switched to hyromorphone and she is doing well on that. I seem to be fine on oxy but morphine, the first couple of days after surgery, was like walking through the storybook fogs you read about that used to blanket old London.

Mary, you do what you can. I've found that I've improved a lot this week because I'm kept on a regular schedule of exercise. Baby steps, done often, build into noticeably bigger steps that you don't realize are happening. Hopefully they will find some pain med regime that will work for you before you go home. My guess is that it will be harder to do from home.

Thinking of you and sending warm wishes via the "polar route" - it's faster from here ;-)

Congratulations on your surgery

@SuperSnapper I'm going to tag @Josephine for you. I'm no doc or professional nurse. That's too much exercise 30 leg lifts and lunges no no no!!! Simple heel slides please... until she contacts you. Please don't do that much it's too much. It smacks of that blessed enhanced recovery scheme they were doing down here. It was too much too soon x it did me no favours at all xx

Love Nana moon x x x

@SuperSnapper Hang in there! These early days are the worst. Once you get home and you are in charge of your icing and elevating you'll be able to get the swelling down and it will feel better. Hope to hear you get to go home tomorrow :)

Ok snapperoo expected exercise are but that expected not obligatory fine do them if you arent in pain. Pain says oi stop that NOW. Let your body be your guide expectations belong in an automated world you are an individual. Also I may be daft, often am but being in pain is a tad against your human rights so tell medics. You need to be free of pain to rest and rest is the best healer. Last of alll never never expect me to be as serious again it hurts ma head

Legin THR Sep 14

I can't take NSAID's due to allergy. Also, because of a past insult I don't want to stress my kidneys. I did okay on Percocet (hydromorphone?), then transitioned to one extra-strength Tylenol 3x/day (now 2x/day) with a substituted Percocet before PT sessions. Each person's pain is different though. I hope you find what works for you.

@Nana moon 27 ,@Legin, @Clipless,@gr82cu2 nope can only have Tylenol and codeine - no morphine based stuff as "you might develop a dependency" .i can't wait to go how, to ice and get some decent sleep too. Its soooooo Noisy here at night. Someone did mention enhanced recovery but I have no intention of doing all this at home. My knee is very swollen and needs lots of rest. Home this morning I'm hoping. I told the physio I would only exercise to the point of discomfort and it's been ok so far but that was on better pain meds yesterday . Eeek not sure how I'll manage today.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
Dave4562
Recent bookmarks
Back
Top Bottom