Knee replacement booked for September

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thank you @Jamie .

I'm sure it will all work out. With all those people in the house, I'm planning to be to just be a layabout! I'll hide away with the door shut if it all gets too much for me.

Thanks @LondonLady

I hope you will be as pleased with your revision to a full TKR as I have been with mine. My right knee is now so strong and reliable.

I'm going to have a little battle of wills in hospital when I have my second TKR next month. I have a set of underarm crutches, which were measured and fitted for me when my PKR failed suddenly (after 11 good years of service) while I was on holiday in Canada.

When I had my Revision to TKR, the hospital staff wanted me to use the elbow/forearm crutches that are standard here in NZ. Uh-Uh, not going to happen. I had been using those underarm crutches for 3 months by the time I had my surgery and I trusted them. I was well aware of the dangers of possible damage to underarm nerves and I knew how to avoid it.

I won that discussion and I intend to win the same discussion this time around. I'll migrate to forearm crutches as I get stronger - I have a spare pair waiting in our garage, as our son is an amputee. I did that last time and it worked well for me.

You go, girl! You know what is best for YOU!!!

Celle, so sorry to hear that you son is an amputee.

I don't want crutches, I'd prefer an "little old lady" walker! (with a basket, please) I have never felt steady on crutches.

Does anyone have any miracle solutions for me? Something to get us all through this and enjoy each others' company, without getting on each others' nerves.
I am glad though, that your family will be there for you---I have no doubts that, while this adventure can cause you some nervous times, it will all work out!

I saw my GP this morning and had chest and blood pressure checked. Chest OK. BP 126/80.

I had my routine prescriptions renewed; got a letter from the doctor, stating known allergies, what medications I was taking, and a potted medical/surgical history.

I took the completed admission forms into the hospital and confirmed with them when I had to phone, to confirm admission time and how long to starve myself of food and fluids. The anaesthetist will either contact me beforehand, or will allocate half an hour before surgery, to talk to me. They usually ask for an ECG, too - I had one recently at my doctor's surgery and it was OK.

I definitely want to to talk to the anaesthetist, because I know I will need medication to stop me vomiting. I also need to know that he will have DDAVP to give me prior to surgery, and if he will order a supply of platelets, in case I bleed too much.

I picked up my medicines. I started taking extra Vitamin C, in the hope that it will protect me from the many colds that seem to be floating around here.

On Friday, I will have a filling replaced at the dentist's.

Next Tuesday, I will have blood taken for analysis and for cross-matching for 2 units of blood. I'll also produce a urine specimen, for testing.

Things are moving along!

Now I'm going to start sorting out some cupboards, to make room for our son and his family to put their things while they are staying with us. I bet I get side-tracked and slowed down when I find my stash of quilting materials!

Well what a week I've had!

Last Sunday, John and I took our son and his "stepson" (long story!) out for brunch.
I had a meal that included bacon. As I bit the bacon, a piece of it went up between two of my top teeth. The next bite pushed it further into my gum.

When I got home, I tried (with toothbrush, dental floss and toothpicks) to remove that bit of stuck bacon. I got most of it, but one piece stayed stubbornly stuck and my gum was starting to swell.

Usually, the gum swelling goes down overnight and I can retrieve the stuck food the next day. Not so this time!
By Monday evening, all my gums were red and swollen and I had swollen glands in my neck. I tried all the usual home treatments for infected gums - a special toothpaste, mouthwash, etc. but nothing seemed to work.

I couldn't get an appointment with my dentist until Friday, so I spent most of the week feeling miserable, taking Panadol (Tylenol) and feeling miserable - all the while wondering if this was going to make me have to defer my knee surgery.

Yesterday, I finally saw my dentist. He was sympathetic, declared I had a generalised gum infection (really?) and went probing with his torture instruments. To my shock and embarrassment, he fished out a rotting piece of bacon - Ouch! Yuk!

Now I'm on antibiotics and I have an appointment for next Friday, to get the gap between those two troublesome teeth made smaller - so I never have a repeat of the problem. I suspect that will involve work on both teeth - and I still have to have another filling replaced.

Today, I'm feeling a lot better. My gums are not swollen now, but my mouth still aches. I hope another 24 hours will see the discomfort go away.

My knee has got sore and stiff, too, so I really want to get this surgery over and done with.

So sorry to hear of your gum infection but glad you were able to get on antibiotics so quickly! I will be relieved when they wake me up and tell me I am done. I am not good at waiting. I will be stopping by before your surgery to see how you are doing. Take care and thank you for all the support you give us!

Xoxoxo
JoAnne

Thank you @Jozilla

Yes, the waiting is hard! Even people like forum Moderators and Forum Advisers get nervous!

Since i still have a bit longer to wait, I'll be looking out for your post-op updates before I get my knee done.
Best wishes for Monday!

@Celle:

Oh my, isn't always something? I feel like I want to stay in the house, and not get exposed to anything, but I know I'll be very tired of the house after surgery.

Last edited by a moderator:
Um um, I love me some bacon !!! As if you dont have enough to worry about, now your gums. Like the saying goes what doesnt kill you, makes you stronger. I must of forgotten that your are having a replacement. You will be in our prayers , all the way from sunny ,beautiful California. Sounds like you have plenty of support. And you already know the drill, rest, medicate, elevate and ice. Pretty basic. Its scary as heck for a first timer, not so much for a repeat offender. Well Celle, your advice is always on point. Best wishes to you, Iceman

Hi Iceman,
Thank you for your well wishes!

Your advice is usually spot-on, too. Feel free to remind me to behave myself after the event, as I'm sure I'll get sore, sad and impatient, like everyone else does!

@Celle do you have a recliner? I slept in mine for several weeks after THR and am thinking I may be doing the same thing after BTKR. If you do, maybe you could sleep in the recliner at night when everyone else is in their bedrooms and use your bedroom in the daytime to "get away."

I had to use magnetic locks when my kids were young b/c they figured out the childproof latches ( so did the dogs!) Kids are amazing in many ways!

Hi @PuppyLove

Yes, I do have a recliner, but it's the wrong sort! It's one of those that need leg strength to lower the foot support. Last time, I got stuck in it and had to have help to get out. thank you for the suggestion, though!

I'm going to spend most of my time in my bedroom. I'll get a "Do not disturb" sign for the door.

My daughter-in-law is pretty understanding and I think she will organise the children to do some quiet activities if I can suggest some suitable times for those. Otherwise, I'll just doze off when and where I can.

I've bought a lockable cash box for my pain relief medications. I'll keep the key on a string around my neck.

Status
Not open for further replies.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
All2Gd88
Recent bookmarks

Latest posts