Surgery Scheduled

Status
Not open for further replies.

AllanM

I've been monitoring the deterioration in my right hip for the past four years, since my LTHR. Last January I was bone-on-bone but had little discomfort with somewhat limited range-of-motion. My OS thought it wise to wait, as the femur head was not collapsed, bone cysts were minimal and I was walking 5-7 miles a day with little discomfort.

Six months later I struggle to walk 4 miles a day and can barely put on my socks. Today, my OS looked at the current x-rays and asked how soon I wanted to schedule. We have set up August 22 with an expected one or two night hospital stay. The LTHR required a two night stay.

He will use a direct anterior approach and expects recovery to be a little easier than the last. Blood thinner and minimal activity using a walker for two weeks. On a cane with PT starting after two weeks; driving then as well as long as I am off pain meds. I am not convinced there is much value in PT but will go as long as he wants me to. He expects a pretty complete recovery by October 1. If he is correct this will be about three weeks ahead of the last one. I'm sure another 3-6 months will be necessary to feel totally recovered.

I am expecting good results and hope for the same to others going through the same experience.

welcome 28.jpg
@AllanM, so pleased that you have joined us here on the forum. Since you're a second time arounder, I suspect you pretty much know what to expect. But, what the heck! going to give you the standard links to Library articles we see as essential for those undergoing THR:

Pain management and the pain chart
Healing: how long does it take?
Chart representation of THR recovery
Dislocation risk and 90 degree rule
Energy drain for THRs
Pain and swelling control: elevation is the key
Activity progression for THRs
Home physio (PT)
Constipation and stool softeners
Sleep deprivation is pretty much inevitable - but what causes it?
Post op blues is a reality - be prepared for it
Myth busting: on getting addicted to pain meds
Recovery Aids: A comprehensive list for hospital and home

The articles are not lengthy, and will answer a lot of your questions. Also, don't hesitate to check the library for many other excellent informative articles.

We are here to help in any way we can: answering questions and concerns; supporting and encouraging you from start to finish; giving you a place to vent, whine, complain if you need to; sharing experiences with one another; and having fun and some laughs along the way.

Take care and keep us posted. We care.

Hi there @AllanM. From what you say it is about the right time to go for it I reckon when it starts affecting what you do and how you do it then.
You would be pretty well all over it I guess having been there before but please let us know if you have any questions or if you just want to pick the brain of the wonderful members and staff here. We would be more than happy to help!

Hi and welcome to BoneSmart. In your signature you have a "TSR". What is that, pray?
He expects a pretty complete recovery by October 1
Oh he does, does he? I'm always rather sceptical about surgeons who put actual dates on their projected recovery. Always want to ask them if they are gifted with second sight!
I am not convinced there is much value in PT
Man after my own heart! Fact is that hips actually don't need much exercise to get better. They do a pretty good job of it all on their own if given half a chance. Trouble is, people don't give them a chance and end up with all sorts of aches and pains and sore spots. All they need is the best therapy which is walking and even then not to excess.

Welcome, you might find these articles interesting..

The following is a link to an article which provides the current science regarding the healing beneath and around the implant and approximate timeframes for the healing phases and processes and the relevant nutritional information for each phase.

Healing Phases & Nutrition

This second link is to other nutritional articles which you may find interesting, including one relating to bone health.

Nutritional advice for pre op and recovery

@Josephine Recovery was probably the wrong word. Healed is more appropriate, with the caveat that nothing goes wrong. I fully expect 3-4 months (or more) to be fully recovered.

I am assuming nothing. I have a fairly long history with my OS and he is quite conservative. He knows he will have to tie me down to keep me from doing too much.

@alexthecat You are correct; both shoulders replaced. One is 11 years old and life expectancy is 15 years so more fun ahead. That recovery is a bit more difficult than a hip.

He expects a pretty complete recovery by October 1. If he is correct this will be about three weeks ahead of the last one. I'm sure another 3-6 months will be necessary to feel totally recovered.
I will never understand how a surgeon can put a date on recovery. Yes, I imagine THR is a much easier recovery that TSR. But everyone is different and everyone reacts differently to surgery. My recovery from LTHR was measured in months, not weeks.

I fully expect 3-4 months (or more) to be fully recovered.
Generally it's about 8-12 months before it can be said 'fully' recovered. Fully healed, perhaps but there's more to recovery than tissue healing.

Allan, please don't think I'm nit-picking here. My intention is to prevent readers (guests as well as members) from getting the wrong idea about this surgery.
a) it's a long old business
b) no-one can predict how long it till take
c) you can hope but much better to set long expectations rather than short because then you'll never be disappointed!
d) it's a long old business! Chart representation of THR recovery

@Josephine I agree with you completely. I speak only for myself and do not intend to mislead anyone going through a THR. I am not a medical professional and did not stay at a Holiday Inn last night.

I have a long history with my OS, understand the procedure and post-op process and have a history of recovery after surgical procedures. (This will be my 12th in the last six years, fourth in 18 months.) I understand things may not go as hoped as I discovered after a cancer surgery. Some do not seem to recover as quickly as I have as I saw with my wife after a TKR. As with investing, past performance is not a guarantee of future results, but I am optimistic.

I'll take recovery one day at a time and deal with the setbacks as they occur, since I expect them. Over time I'll get better. A year from now I'll be recovered from this and dealing with another issue.

Status
Not open for further replies.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Jockette
    Staff member since March 18, 2018
  • mendogal
    Staff member since November 10, 2023

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member