Hinged Joint Revision Complete, recovery continues

Hi Chris. I hope you are enjoying your vacation. I was going to ask if you were at North Shore, but noticed the mountains. Then was thinking South Shore, but something was off....lightbulb moment-you must be on the west shore......lol. Take it easy and have a nice rest.

Hi Chris,
Happy that you have the window seat to enjoy the scenery while resting your knee and your foot. Is that the view are taking the pictures from? Truly stunning pictures.
I hope you get some relief from your pain soon and you get the answers you need from your appointments.
Thinking of you.
xox
:flwrysmile:

Vacations was wonderful, relaxing, and great to get together with family and friends. A much needed and well deserved break.
Thanks to @Nana moon 27 , @71Beetle , @patient 99 , @kneeper , @hopefaith , @ tashia and anyone else reading my thread.

Now back to reality. I made it thought the week using my crutches all the time toe touch weight bearing, when I did walk around a little without crutches, I paid later with 7 - 8 night time pain. At home I have walked around a little more today unpacking, now icing now, hope it will help with keeping my pain levels low.
OS refused to fill my Norco script, and ordered Tramadol instead, the one that landed me in the ER. The office left a message saying they referred me to a pain clinic, and yes, it will take you 3 months to make an appointment.
If I can wait 3 months for a pain clinic appointment, I doubt I will be needing the pain clinic. :umm:
Called my Primary, thank goodness she refilled my Norco until my appointment with her on the first.
I just wonder why the OS sends you to a pain clinic when you cannot see them for months, why don't they send you back to your primary for pain control. Guess it has something to do with patient abandonment, and referral to a pain clinic covers their rear.
Why can't they say something like this.
"Dr. Bone, would like to refer you to a pain clinic as your surgery was 3 months ago, there is a wait of about three months to be seen, we recommend you contact your primary physician for follow up until you can be seen at the pain clinic."

I have an appointment with the podiatrist on Monday, same office as the OS. Hoping it goes well, and he can help me with my inverted ankle.

Last edited by a moderator:
My left leg has been through a lot over the years, I made a list for the podiatrist, and am going post it here. Starting at the foot and working up.

-inverted ankle
-peroneal longus tear 2011
-peroneal brevis tear 2011, confirmed with MRI
-sprained ankle 1970
-mal union fx 1974, tibia is crooked, varum
-ACL partial tear 1993, this is when my knee became unstable
-knee surgery 2000, partial menisectomy, notch plasty, paste graft, micro fx
-knee surgery 2008, loose body removal
-TKR 2011
-leg injury, peroneal muscle tears, peroneal nerve damage (I have numb areas)
-revison 2014
-meralgia paresthetica

Whew

:eeeuw: WOW, You have been through a lot. I am not sure that I could keep my spirits up through all of that!

@pumpkin I have found that "spirits" will help keep your spirits up, too!

graphics-alcohol-630122.jpg

@Pumpkln
Okay Chris, were you involved on some form of extreme sports?! That is a crazy amount of injuries to go through for a team of athletes, never mind one person! @Phil75070 may have the solution in the post above :)

It is crazy that you would have to wait 3 months for an appointment with a pain clinic. What's the point in making you wait so long? Do they think you will have found your own solution by then?? Hard to understand the thought process. Pleased to hear that your Primary was able to give you something.

Keep the images and the memories of your holidays close to mind as you go through all of this.

Thinking of you. xox

No two knees are alike, seems to be how it is @71Beetle

Walked too much today around the house unpacking. Painful around the kneecap and to the outside for the most part, keeping me awake.

Sent from my iPod touch using BoneSmart®

Hi Chris, It 8am here so it must be about 3am where you are. Clearly you can't sleep.Was there anything about your break that made things easier, anything that you could continue with now that you are home? Carol

@patient 99, using crutches consistently, like I did on vacation. That was the biggest difference. Will do the same until I see the OS on the 14th.

Sent from my iPod touch using BoneSmart®

So sorry @Pumpkln that you are in pain. Managing pain in the .U.S. is not easy. What a joke your OS is not helping you out until you get to pain clinic. Very frustrating. Your vacation pics were beautiful. Thanks for sharing and I hope you start feeling better.

@Pumpkln
I also cannot take Tramadol (It has serotonin and norepinephrine components....why I will never get) and it flips me out.
I hope and pray that your GP is very understanding and gets this whole TKR thing and especially you who has gone through a revision and all the issues that have come up. I will be looking for how it goes and saying prayers for you.
~hopefaith

@Pumpkln Sorry you did not sleep well Chris. Good plan to keep on the crutches until you see the OS. Hope you get some relief today. Don't overdo it. Be kind to yourself. :flwrysmile:

Also while on vacation, I did not spend a lot of time ruminating about my knee. I need to keep doing this, unless I need to be thinking about it before appointments, and to remind me to keep using the crutches.
@patient 99 , It was midnight here when you posted, I am on the west coast.

I was originally given Tramadol for break through pain, and took one last night when I could not sleep, I slept until about 6 AM. Tramadol seems to work with Norco, but not alone. I am taking Welbutrin and asked the pharmacist about serotonin syndrome, he felt at the doses I was taking it would not be an issue. Since all my medications interact with each other in negative ways this is nothing new, and I seem to have no ill effects from all these medications, at least none that I am aware.
I went back and downloaded the data from my CPAP machine, and my AHI doubled the night before I had to go to the ER. I am sure there is a connection between the tramadol, poor pain control and the elevated blood pressure and the elevated AHI. AHI= Apnea Hypoxia Index, below 5 is normal, my high AHI with CPAP was 2.5 so no worries, just it was higher than normal.

For pain control, most likely my primary will help, but I will be asked to go for regular blood testing, and probably random testing. I know she has a contract you have to sign. The testing is no problem, except a real pain to go the the lab, but will be worth it to be kept comfortable and out of the ER, until a solution is found for my pain and dysfunction.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Jaycey
    ADMINISTRATOR Staff member since February 2011

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
All2Gd88
Recent bookmarks

Latest posts