wannabe over pain

Status
Not open for further replies.
@Daffy dill Hm... am kind of surprised, based on not only the info here, but my own experience. Curious to hear what others have to say. I'm sure the class will be very informative, though.

@Daffy dill, please take a look at this article again---you may need to rethink this: Recovery Aids: A comprehensive list for hospital and home I, along with other hippies, could not have done without a raised toilet of some kind. You will need a walking aid---maybe the hospital will see to it you have what you need when you leave. And hippies do need less "stuff" than kneesies.

@shrinkette @bottomshollow I am having anterior LTHR . I walk with a cane now. I even mentioned to him that I have a Danish modern platform bed with a tempurpedic mattress which is quite low. He said no problem. I can sleep on another bed in my house if I have to but no bathroom in the room.

Last edited by a moderator:
Well, it may be that you don't need anything since you're having anterior. So much the better. And I don't think you'll find getting back and forth from the bathroom a problem at all.

I am overweight and a type 2 diabetic which is very well controlled. I asked my OS about my weight and he mentioned my belly overhanging the incision. Is there any insight on this?

Hi @Daffy dill welcome to Bonesmart

We have another member @jebrig3164 who also had an overhanging belly/ skin and the anterior approach and his surgeon mentions a higher risk of infection

I have tagged him to see if he can offer any I sit on this for you.

It must be comforting to hear of many other people, older than you who have done well with this surgery

You have come to the right place for support and advice!!!

@shrinkette I read your entire thread from pre-op to post- op. You are very inspiring and I'm glad to hear that you are well on your way to recovery. I'm afraid I have been too sedentary also. I have surgery on June 2. I don't think I have much time to get strength. Pain has been such a deterrent. My very best to you!

Hello, Daffy. Thanks for the complimentary words. Indeed, because of dealing for years with knee pain followed closely by hip pain, I led an extremely sedentary life. Prior to my knee replacement, however, I did the exercises suggested by that surgeon, & I think they paid off in terms of recovery, which was going pretty well until my hip reared its ugly little head. The hip OS, however, did not prescribe any PT prior to my THR, & that was all the excuse I needed since I was never into sports, the gym, or any activity which involved sweating (except one... ahem!!).

Your THR is a month away; maybe some gentle exercises wouldn't hurt & might give you a tiny edge, but I wouldn't worry about it at this point. Pain puts an ugly red haze over everything & we almost stop functioning on some levels. Just try to eat healthy & take care of yourself.

I see you're in NJ; where are you having your op? Any questions you have, ask away.

Ellen

@shrinkette I am having surgery at Riverview Medical Center. I wondered about PT before surgery. I asked my surgeon about blood donations also but he said no. Do you think I should postpone surgery and try to get stronger?

Off the top of my head, I would say no, don't postpone. I have no idea how much PT you'd have to do over how much time, to make the delay beneficial. And even so, our recovery experiences are so unique that you can't really predict short-term outcomes even in the fittest of patients. So... I'd leave it in the laps of the hip-gods & assume you'll do as well as you do... faster or slower, but at your own rate, & leave it at that. You may have to build up some unused muscles or use some that you haven't seen in a long time, but that's what PT is for. Long-term, you'll be fine! Would be interesting to hear what others have to say.

Just an aside: I had anterior also. Think again about a raised toilet & a few other goodies to help make your life at home easier. :heehee: Trust me.

You must get a bedside commode or raised toilet seat/frame.
No way could I have managed without...

Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart®

@shrinkette @MajorHeidi Thanks for the advice. I have a walker, picker, shoe horn from when my mother lived with me. I will get bedside commode. I have had for years the new "comfort" height toilet but not upstairs in my bedroom. I have a chair lift for the stairs. I took care of my mother for a long time nd am quite familiar with a lots of the aide devices. But I thank you again.

@Daffy dill , no need to get into any sort of fitness routine pre-op. Having upper arm strength is a benefit at first. But plenty of hippies are on crutches or even wheel chair bound pre-op and they recovery just fine. I didn't have any commode. Just don't wait too long was the trick. You'll be fine!

Status
Not open for further replies.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• mendogal
    Staff member since November 10, 2023
  • Jockette
    Staff member since March 18, 2018

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties