TKR Dec 10 RTKR

Status
Not open for further replies.
I should have mentioned as well that it also depends on what the insurance will cover. My insurance covered walker and cane as accessories only.

Day 10: CPM at 115 degrees -- On my own I'm at about 110. :yes!:
Tried to work the pedals on our recumbent bike and managed 5 rotations before I thought "this hurts too much". Thankfully no swelling after the experiment! :no-fin:
Home PT is very happy with my progress and says I can go to using a cane -- may stick with one crutch for a while longer…….
See the OS, or his PA, on Monday for suture removal and decision about when to transfer to outpatient PT due to the Christmas holidays. Have not left the house since I came home so it will be a little adventure. :santa sleigh:

Chihuahuan,, you seem to be progressing very well.. and you literally just had your surgery. Continue the great success. Are you taking your pain meds as needed along with icing and getting enough rest?

Congratulations! You sound wonderful and very positive. 110 is awesome. I have not been out of house either except for walks in driveway. Can't wait for staples to come out either! For me will be Tuesday. We are close in recovery so I look forward to reading your posts. Boy are you brave getting on the bike. I am just sitting here looking at mine as i am a big chicken. Be careful!!! - my best to you - joanne

I just got home from the hospital yesterday and enjoyed reading your thread. If my recovery goes half as well as yours, I will feel very lucky indeed. Keep up the good work!

Chihuahuan,, you seem to be progressing very well.. and you literally just had your surgery. Continue the great success. Are you taking your pain meds as needed along with icing and getting enough rest?
Yes-- I take the pain meds around the clock and plan a scheduled nap in the early afternoon. Minimally I ice after the CPM machine and 2-3 exercise sessions. Seems to be working well !

Congratulations! You sound wonderful and very positive. 110 is awesome. I have not been out of house either except for walks in driveway. Can't wait for staples to come out either! For me will be Tuesday. We are close in recovery so I look forward to reading your posts. Boy are you brave getting on the bike. I am just sitting here looking at mine as i am a big chicken. Be careful!!! - my best to you - joanne
I'm leaving the bike alone for a while longer -- I really wanted to use it as a substitute for walking around the inside of the house. :bicycle1: I just love the smilies!

How awesome that you can get rotations on the bike. I'd say if you want to do one rotation a day that would be plenty at this stage.

@Chihuahuan, You certainly are doing fantastic. I think you have found the key which is to take pain medications on time and to rest. Then you are able to do the exercises and progress. I am with you, pain medication must be taken around the clock. Hope everything continues to be well with you. :yahoo:

Had staples out yesterday and saw the PA at the orthopedic surgeon's office --he is very happy with my progress and has released me to outpatient PT. We celebrated with a latte at our favorite coffee place followed by a visit to the PT clinic and set up the first appointment. It was great --they had an opening at 8:00 am this morning so we did the eval and a short ROM session. All went well --came home, iced/elevated, had a nap, --now I'm giving my knee a "meditation" session on the CPM. Feels good :merry xmas:

@Chihuahuan, So glad your staples are out know. I be that allows you to feel a bit more freer. You seem to be doing really well. Enjoy today. Try not over do it as we sometimes with holidays do.Enjoy the holidays. Merry Christmas:mer xm::presnt::reindeer::sleigh:

PT again today -- hard work but can feel the difference in how I walk. I will be going 2x a week over the holidays. The only real pain I have is in the lateral area behind my knee --where it hurt prior to the surgery. Therapist thinks it will take a while to resolve as the knee was probably not releasing well for quite a while. We are doing "gravity" sessions 3x a day that are sore but are definitely helping. I think it's time to get off the Percoset and switch over to Tylenol -- I see my family doctor tomorrow and will ask for his advice. :SUNsmile:

Wow Chihuahuan, you are doing well. You are bumping down to Percocet really quickly. Good for you. I have had a few set backs with RA pain requiring me to take Pecocet or Nucenta for not so much knee pain, but for the RA pain. Good for you for doing so well. Keep up the good work:ereindeer::giftsa:

Wow Chihuahuan, you are doing well. You are bumping down to Percocet really quickly. Good for you. I have had a few set backs with RA pain requiring me to take Pecocet or Nucenta for not so much knee pain, but for the RA pain. Good for you for doing so well. Keep up the good work:ereindeer::giftsa:
I have been on Celebrex and Percoset which worked very well for me--even my hands have been pain-free. Saw my family doctor yesterday who agreed with weaning from the Percoset to OTC extra-strength Tylenol --we'll see how it goes. He also recommended Vitamin C and Iron for the fatigue --he said Flintstones plus Iron would be just fine :) Today I did my two hrs on the CPM and got up feeling quite limber! Took a trip to the drug store, with husband, to get the Flintstones+meds followed by a visit to Walmart for a soup pot --thankfully it was quiet in both places. Now it's time for R.I.C.E. Husband is making soup and the smell is wafting through the house. I feel blessed!

To have the CPM at home is a blessing in itself and to have your husband making you soup, double blessed. Enjoy while you can!! I was on Celebrex for a brief period of time, not certain if I really noticed a difference. I do know know since my biologic is almost due that I am not comfortable and in pain. I will see the Rheumatologist Jan 3. That is right around the corner so I will just hang out until then. The shoulder, neck, back and hands hurt more than the knee believe it or not.

how are you doing after your outing, @Chihuahuan ?

how are you doing after your outing, @Chihuahuan ?
I don't think I was any more tired than I usually am in the afternoon and evening but I did not sleep well. Don't know if that was dropping to 1/2 Percoset + tylenol at bedtime or from doing more in the day time. I know that I made a funny move in the night and have a new ache behind the knee today. I have noticed that my quads are contracting better today. Think it's a day of rest. I find this period after any knee op the most difficult time --getting the right balance of rest and movement.

Three weeks post-op tomorrow!!! Down to Celebrex and xs Tylenol in the pain med department. Thought I was going to escape the insomnia phase but it's now here. I definitely need a post-lunch snooze so will need to find a solution for this. :sleep:
Walked part way down the road today --quite different from the very flat surfaces indoors. I was so happy to discover that my foot and knee are more aligned when I walk. Think I walked about 10-15 minutes total.
Discovered husband doing an inventory of food in the fridge and freezer to prepare for a shopping trip --oh my! :rolleyes:

Status
Not open for further replies.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Jaycey
    ADMINISTRATOR Staff member since February 2011

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
JanieMarie