Which side of the bed?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Leisa

This may be a dumb question, but I am trying to get our bedroom set up for recovery. I normally sleep on the left side of the bed. I'm having Left tka. I am thinking I need to hijack my husbands side, so when I get up and down I have the good leg (R) on the floor. Did anyone else do this or does it matter?
I need to work some as soon as I feel like it and I need to set up everything at 'my fingertips'. (i.e. laptop, files, etc)
Only 5 more days. :happydance:

I had a left TKR, and the right side of the bed worked best for me. Easier to hook your right foot under the left to bring it off the bed. Going the other way is much less secure.
Good luck with your surgery, see you on the other side soon!

I had a left TKR, and the right side of the bed worked best for me. Easier to hook your right foot under the left to bring it off the bed. Going the other way is much less secure.
Good luck with your surgery, see you on the other side soon!
See, that's what I wanted to know. Great. :thankyou:

Good question Leisa, I pondered the same question when I went in and I had both knees done, however I was 14 day
post-op before I came home and luckily both legs were able to lift themselves onto the bed and my bed is high off the ground. What I found hard was once in bed I would try and drag my body in toward the certer more and my night close would stay behind so I would have to use more leg and arm muscle to grab them along. Eventually I ditched the night close and hope we didn't have a fire or emergency and I'd have to run for my life!!!! The neighborhood would never be the same again, too much trauma!!!:gaah: So you might want to practice which way is best for you. Put some weight around your ankle of your left leg and try to lift it into bed and see how that works, then try to drag your body more toward the center. That should give you a pretty good idea how it will feel to you.

Wow, you're getting close!:happydance: I so excited for you!:friends:

laughing.gif
Jackey standing in the yard naked as her house burns down and the neighbors gasp in horror!

I can see it now in my mind's eye
LOL-puffy cheeks.gif
Lord! what pictures you paint---my BIG chuckle for the day. Thanks!

Good question, and one I also had. Now I have another one to ask concerning TKR and bed, is it hard to get out of bed with TKR?

It is a bit awkward, but if you can get in---you can get out. Somehow we just manage to figure out how to maneuver our bodies into and out of bed. And it is a bit uncomfortable doing that maneuvering in the beginning. Then one day you realize that it's become pretty easy. However, I spent more time in my recliner than my bed. As a matter of fact, I took myself to bed around 11:00pm most nights and by 2:00am I was back up and in the recliner. I made myself stay in bed for that 3 hours at least---but sleeping well in bed did not come until around 3 months post op.

It is a bit awkward, but if you can get in---you can get out. Somehow we just manage to figure out how to maneuver our bodies into and out of bed. And it is a bit uncomfortable doing that maneuvering in the beginning. Then one day you realize that it's become pretty easy. However, I spent more time in my recliner than my bed. As a matter of fact, I took myself to bed around 11:00pm most nights and by 2:00am I was back up and in the recliner. I made myself stay in bed for that 3 hours at least---but sleeping well in bed did not come until around 3 months post op.

Thank you that was very helpful. Kinda what I expected to hear. I remember when I just had my knee scoped it was a bit difficult for a couple days getting in and out of the bed without some help . Hugs~

Jacky, you have a wicked sense of humour and I love it :rotfl: :loll:

Thanks for asking this question Leisa, as I am in the same situation as you - left knee and I sleep on the left side. I had never even thought of this, so good call :thankyou:

Kathy
xx

Good question Leisa, I pondered the same question when I went in and I had both knees done, however I was 14 day
post-op before I came home and luckily both legs were able to lift themselves onto the bed and my bed is high off the ground. What I found hard was once in bed I would try and drag my body in toward the certer more and my night close would stay behind so I would have to use more leg and arm muscle to grab them along. Eventually I ditched the night close and hope we didn't have a fire or emergency and I'd have to run for my life!!!! The neighborhood would never be the same again, too much trauma!!!:gaah: So you might want to practice which way is best for you. Put some weight around your ankle of your left leg and try to lift it into bed and see how that works, then try to drag your body more toward the center. That should give you a pretty good idea how it will feel to you.

Wow, you're getting close!:happydance: I so excited for you!:friends:

You bring a laugh to all of us Jacky48, naked knee replacement people in the yard after a fire. Anyway, I find I use my nightclothes to help me move my body. I just pull up on them and scoot.

Knowing that I live in a 55 plus community, I just realized how many other TKR neighbors I have that will run out to see what is going on! Naked! Yikes! Almost like a bad movie, The Night Of the Living Knee Replacement Sleepers, brought to you by BoneSmart! :sleep:

Hi Leisa!!

Personally, I plan on hijacking the WHOLE BED after my TNR in November!! Both me and hubby are afraid he's going to roll over and accidentally hit me in the middle of the night, so he'll be in the guest room for a while. Who knew I'd have to get my knee replaced to escape his snoring!! :zzz: Now to figure out what to do with our Yorkie, she'll be lost if she doesn't have "Momma" to snuggle with!!

Hi Leisa!!

Personally, I plan on hijacking the WHOLE BED after my TNR in November!! Both me and hubby are afraid he's going to roll over and accidentally hit me in the middle of the night, so he'll be in the guest room for a while. Who knew I'd have to get my knee replaced to escape his snoring!! :zzz: Now to figure out what to do with our Yorkie, she'll be lost if she doesn't have "Momma" to snuggle with!!
I'm not so worried about my husband rolling over and bumping my leg, but we have a huge cat (he's a Maine Coon) and I wake up w/him on my feet or legs often. I'm hoping he senses that I'm not well, he's pretty smart.
(I didn't consider commanding the entire bed...:umm:hmmmm.....

Oh! I think Kitty would have to stay out of the bedroom, especially if he's used to sleeping on your legs/feet. I wouldn't rely on him sensing you are hurt, even though he's smart, the alternative is just too painful to think about! :boohoo:

Leisa, wishing you all the very best for your surgery tomorrow. Will be thinking of you. Here's to a boring and uneventful recovery for you, which I'm sure it will be. Look forward to your posts on the other side, when you feel able :thumb:

Kathy
xx

I had TRKR. Left side of bed for me. Couldn't lift leg and used strap. When I get up use other leg to help.

I sleep in an oversized recliner. First time around I tried sleeping in the bed which lasted less than an hour. So my recliner has been used for recovery both times around. I'm 13 days post op today. I find I'm most comfortable in the recliner which is in my bedroom. I was back in my bed first time around about 3 weeks post op. so I'm hoping I will be back in bed soon!

Margie

I am not sure how having a knee replaced will compare to having my hip replaced. But with my hip I was so use to sleeping in a recliner for months before that I still slept in it after the surgery for about another month. I swear it is because you feel more secure. I have a nice recliner but I still padded it up with some extra cushion and a big feather comforter. I made sure to have a feather pillow too that cradled my head. But now for the knee replacement I am armed with my new leg wedge pillow and I am hoping to be able to be in bed. I am going to try it with that feather pillow for my head. I usually don't lay on my back, so having that pillow might help cradle my head. At least I hope. Gotta try at least.

It took me three years to get my husbands old recliner out of the house. (I thought I would have to sedate him) I am not letting him see any of this 'sleeping in a recliner' talk:) (I know they are very comfortable though) I have a million pillows ready for whatever I need :happydance:

LTKR and sleep on left side of bed. I moved to spare room , it was great!
Strangely, despite having whole bed I still slept on the left and managed fine.
I could've got used to sleeping on my own

Status
Not open for further replies.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
mexicaliaguilas
Recent bookmarks