Core Decompression vs. THR

Status
Not open for further replies.
I knew when I was in my teens that I would one day need a THR, and at that time believed that I would get 10 years out of THR and then have to go back in for another. This simply is not the case today.
Well there was a time when we ALL thought that! And you are right about it not being the case today.

I'm sure there is variation among surgeons and hospitals, but my surgeon said that the continued success rate at 15 years out is 95%. That sounds pretty good to me.
I was at a conference Friday/Saturday and the hip surgeons were all presenting impressive stats showing survivorship of 25 years on patients still relatively young, fit and in good health. Think on that! There is also a general opinion that we already have the 'forever' hip.

This is great news to hear that they think they already have a forever hip. I hear the revision surgery is not as good as the first surgery, but I'm thinking the way technology is these days that in 15 or 20 years it will be amazing. Looking forward to the future!!! :yay:

Weeell, people say that but it very much depends upon why the revision is being done. There are circumstances where that is true, of course, but most revisions just reset the clock. And every single case is different from every other one.

Hi Josephine,

It's good to hear that the revision surgery is better than I thought. Too much Internet reading lately and I think I'm in THR overload. I guess it weighs heavy on my mind. The injection I had last week has given me a little bit of relief, but I can still feel what I think is bone on bone on the inner portion of the hip joint. I will see my OS next week and a second opinion the following week to make my decision. I guess any relief is better than none.

hi guys . my husband is going for a core decompression on wesenday 11 july and he is only 47 yrs old . he has avascular necrosis on his left hip no explanation on how he got it. but from being on the interenet iwe persume its for the steriods he has been on for asthma. we had a mri done and that showed the AVN .we got quiet a shock as the pain he has with it and to say that he was disabled is an understatment .my god iv never seen anyone to lose his mobility sooooo fast . it was very scary . so fingers and everything else crossed on wesenday he should get some relief and mobilty back. so i wasjust wondering did any of ye thats on this tread i would love to know your experiences and your outlook on it . thanks.:)

Hi Buttonsmurphy,

I am going through a similar situation as your husband. I was on steriods for almost a year and a half everyday for lung disease. I started taking the steriods in August of 2010. I'm 48 now, but had the core decompression surgery back in December 2011. I have AVN in both hips, but only had an issue with the rt hip. I was diagnosed with the AVN and had surgery the next day. Looking back without the research, I probably made a mistake because it did not help me at all. Since the surgery, I have had a nerve problem in my leg called Meralgia Paresthetica. The nerve is the lateral femoral cutaneous nerve and it controls your skin sensitivity. The doctor says its probably from inflammation or scaring around the surgery site. Not sure, but I now will likely need a THR soon.

I don't want you to compare my story with what your husband might go through because every surgery is different. I would recommend asking the OS how bad is the AVN. Core decompression doesn't have a high rate of success if the AVN has cause a lot of the bone to die. In my case, the bone looked good on an x-ray. I think I would have tried to find how the stage of bone death I had before doing the surgery as it seems that my bone was going downhill. I had an MRI a month ago and the bone is flattening and has a drop off and my pain has increased a tremedous amount. I wanted to give you my story, but I'm sure there are success stories too. I'm just not one of them. Sorry.

hi dobeck im sorry and shocked :shocked: to hear that. hopefully my husband will have a better chance of recovery and sucess. :angel:.. tomorow will tell alot will keep ye updated :)

Hi dobeck I was just wondering how long did the core operation take once u got into the operating theatre ?thanks

Welcome to BoneSmart buttonsmurphy, I will be thinking of your husband.

Perhaps you would like to start a thread of your own on his behalf. I would suggest the post op side if he has had the CD done or the pre op side if he hasn't yet, although I get the impression that he was about to have the procedure done.

The advantage of having your own thread is that you will go out to a wider audience of members who can bring their experiences and at able to support you buttonsmurphy; :)

hi smja thanks for your reply. i looked but cant seem to see or find how to start i will try again when my mind is thinking properly. u see im at my wits end im so upset i just cant think . my husband is in hospital to get the CD done today . as we have 7 young children with 6 of them under the age of 9 yrs old . im really scared:scary: . im to go like this but i dont know what to expect or to do for him:sad:

Hi Buttonsmurphy,

Sorry, I didn't get your message yesterday. I'm sure if your husband had the surgery today, it probably didn't take long. Mine only took about an hour and it was out patient. I was released from the hospital around 3 hours after the surgery. I went back to work a couple days later. I was lucky and was able to work from home. He will be on crutches for awhile. Probably at least a month. I travel part of the time for work and did my first flight about six weeks after surgery. I was pretty sensitive on the surgery side.

The main thing is I hope the surgery is a success for him. Many people have had success if the bone isn't too far gone. I wish I was one of them. I see my OS tomorrow to see what he thinks I should do next and a second opinion next week. Please keep me informed of his progress. I'll look for your personal thread and I wish you both and your family the best!!!

Hi Dobeck, thanks for your reply and the best of luck for today. Hope you get somewhere .

My husband got his CD done yesterday. He was only in there an hour or so the same as you. He has had a bad reaction to the spinal anaesthetic. He his getting sick a lot. I suppose a minor complaint. He doesn't seem to have any pain yet just stiff where they made the incision.

The doc said there were happy with what they done and it was only a LIGHT CORE DECOMPRESSION, whatever that means, he never asked. It's amazing though as he had a pain in his left cheek of his bum over the AVN, apparently its a sign of AVN. But my husband's pain has gone completely. He said it was as if someone had given him a good kick in the bum:heehee:. So please God this helps him. Thanks

Hello all,

Had my second opinion today and the OS said a lot of the same things my original OS said except he wants me to have a "Hip Aspiration" to rule out any infection because I still have the Meralgia Paresthetica from the Core Decompression. This is a new one on me and I was wondering if anyone has heard of this or had it done? He said the series of xrays show a decline in the hip and some collapse, but he said he would wait a few months to see if it worsens. This is the same thing the other OS told me. I'm nervous about a total collapse and then what do I do before surgery. If it collapse completely, I don't think I will be able to walk at all and it will be more of an emergency. Anyone have experience with this?

The new OS said he would do Metal on Plastic the same as the other OS, but would do it Anterior vs. Traditional THR. He suggested I lose some more weight. :) I gained about 60 lbs. on prednisone and it's been very difficult to lose it. Down about 20 lbs. this year. Any suggestion???

Meralgia paresthetica is an entrapment or "pinching" of the nerve that supplies sensation to the outer portion of the thigh. The lateral femoral cutaneous nerve becomes "entrapped" as it passes under the ligament of the groin. The pressure on the nerve causes abnormal sensations of burning, pain, and numbness where this nerve serves the outer and part of the front of the thigh. Meralgia paresthetica is also known as lateral femoral cutaneous nerve syndrome.

How much you lost is good but for me to give you an opinion, I need to know how much you ARE and also your height.

I have also been diagnosed with AVN recently for taking steroids for long time. And have been suggested to do CD by my doctor. But looking at your story im more scared and confused that if CD is right for me or not.Thats what i questioned to myself what if it gets even worse after the Cd. So did you had your hip replacement after that??And how;s it going with you??

Hi, I also have AVN of the hip due to pregnancy. I had a CD in December and it hasn't worked. Now the OS are finally talking about a THR, though I have had to have a second opinion to get that. My experience of CD hasn't been great and I agree that you should push for a THR as soon as possible as from the reading I've done it seems this is likely to be the only way you will get some relief from the Pain. I too have been offered the injections but haven't had one yet, I am still debating whether to try them or not. Sorry I can't be more positive about the CD. If I knew then what I know now I wouldn't have had it done. Good luck to you, I hope it gets sorted soon. x

Hi, I also have AVN of the hip due to pregnancy. I had a CD in December and it hasn't worked. Now the OS are finally talking about a THR, though I have had to have a second opinion to get that. My experience of CD hasn't been great and I agree that you should push for a THR as soon as possible as from the reading I've done it seems this is likely to be the only way you will get some relief from the Pain. I too have been offered the injections but haven't had one yet, I am still debating whether to try them or not. Sorry I can't be more positive about the CD. If I knew then what I know now I wouldn't have had it done. Good luck to you, I hope it gets sorted soon. x

Hi Emily .Sorry to hear about CD didn;t work for you. I didn;t know that pregnancy could also cate AVN ): Looking at the post about CD i have also been thinking that its quite not working for everyone. There's not much success rate of CD i think by reading all articles.I haven't yet taken any decision on whether i;ll do CD or not. I;m still in dilemma. The thing is i;m walking normally atm. Its just that my left leg gives me pain sometimes if i walk alot.So i 'm worried if after doing CD my leg will get worse and i won;t be able to walk as much as im walking now. And i might end up having THR. To be honest I want to stay away from THR as much as i can.I know one day i need to have it done but as for time being if its ok than why not keep it aside. You mentioned about injections also., is that the steroids injection which you;re talking about.Do you know what does it actually do?? Are you planning to do THR soon??

Status
Not open for further replies.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
Dave4562
Recent bookmarks
Back
Top Bottom