How to post links properly

Roy Gardiner

Staff member since February, 23, 2013
BoneSmart Staff
Country
United Kingdom United Kingdom
Here's a link (picked at random) How can I get (or stop) email alerts for new posts?

The code for it looks like this
Code:
[URL='http://bonesmart.org/public_forum/how-can-get-stop-email-alerts-for-new-postsi-t9217.html']How can I get (or stop) email alerts for new posts?[/URL]
I can make this using the Plain Text editor, but can't see any way to construct it using the Rich Text editor, which seems odd to me -- am I missing something? The rich text editor, when you hover over a link, only seems to give the option to Insert a link, which is actually the one thing you don't need at that point! I can't see an option allowing you to add the text How can I...

Note for code nerds: Am I going cross-eyed or is there an unmatched close-bracket ] just before How can I get... Edit: As you were I think it's OK, it was cross eyes not an error.

Those are two ways I do it. Why wouldn't you want to insert it then?
Do you use the chain link icon to Insert link?

Those are two ways I do it. Why wouldn't you want to insert it then?
Because for me the icon only becomes active when the cursor hovers over a link - the only time you don't want it. Maybe it's unique to me?
Do you use the chain link icon to Insert link?
No, in the rich text editor it is greyed out all the time, except when hovering over an existing link. I C&P a link from the browser URL window, the software automatically puts in the URL BBCode for me.

What I'm getting at is that the text part of the URL can't be edited (by me) using the Rich Text Editor, only using the basic one.

I wasn't able to use the rich text editor at all under the old regime

No, afraid not, I am using the post to test how the editor works, the questions in the preceding post remain unanswered and my brain is in a loop. This is what happens for me:

- when using Rich Text Editor the chain icon is greyed out all the time when typing normal text.
- if I cut and paste a link in directly, that works and the link appears.
- if I hover over the link, the chain icon is ungreyed and becomes active. I can edit the URL code by clicking the chain icon. There is no simple way to add text to the link to make it How can I... as in the test example

There must be something wrong (with my set-up or my brain) as this is utterly useless and no-one would design anything to work that way.

RichardRobins; ??

:doh: Blimey O'Reilly! I assumed you knew that!

LOL I didn't know that either! I just thought that they didn't work. LOL
Thanks for posting the question Roy!

It's just sort of .....basic. Like knowing where the address bar is.
But as my sister so often says "it's easy when you know how"!
Sorry, nothing personal ... I was just surprised.

It's just sort of .....basic. Like knowing where the address bar is.

But as my sister so often says "it's easy when you know how"! Sorry, nothing personal ... I was just surprised.
I know it's not personal, I don't take offence.

Did it work that way on the old board? I didn't have rich text editing, maybe that's it.

But I'd certainly wonder about 'basic'. It's a feature of the text editor component of a particular bulletin board; the address bar is part of the browser, present on every window we've ever opened -- some difference, I'd say. But again as you say, "easy when you know how" :)

I think probably because I spend a large part of my day embedding hyperlinks and so it sort of comes naturally. I also mouse-sweep thread titles and Library articles and paste them in posts like so Energy drain for TKRs. I mouse-sweep the title, right click on the blue highlighting, choose "Copy" then come here and either Rt click/Paste or Ctrl+V

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Jaycey
    ADMINISTRATOR Staff member since February 2011

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
Dave4562
Recent bookmarks

Latest posts