Tattoo after PKR?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Isabeau

Hi,
I'm having a partial reconstruction on my right knee. The process is similar to an ACL repair but a little more intensive. I am having the ligament behind my patella replaced, due to the fact that it has been completely destroyed. I am also have a tendon to the right side of my patella reconstructed from my hamstring, my patella scraped, my shin bone aligned properly, my patellar tendon aligned, and broken cartilage removed. This is all happening (hopefully) in the next few weeks. Shriner's Children's Hospital is doing it for me because of financial and domestic issues.
My question for the forum is, how long do I need to wait to get a tattoo after surgery? The tattoo will be on the right side of my rib cage. So not close to the incision. I would just wait for the tattoo but it's in memory of my deceased mother. I wanted to get it done on the 12 year anniversary of her passing, which is 3 days after I turn 18. The tattoo is really important to me, but knee surgery is a priority as well. I'm not entirely sure when I will have knee surgery, but it should be about 3 weeks before my tattoo date. Can I still do both in the time frame I want?
Any input?

Hi Isabeau
Welcome to the forum! What a special reason for a tattoo! That would be a great question for our medical community. Let's see if I can tag Josephine our Orthopedic Nurse in the UK and Orthodoc our Orthopedic Surgeon in the USA for their recommendations. It might be a little while for a response due to schedules and timezones.

Josephine;
Orthodoc;

All the best to you with your surgery!

The kind of surgery you are having doesn't include any major implants so I would imagine there wouldn't be any major drawbacks. However, the best person to ask is your surgeon as we don't really know exactly what you are having done and that might make a difference.

I really don't know about a tattoo so close to surgery and it'll be interesting to hear what Josephine and Orthodoc have to say.

My thought would be delay it. I realise that'll be hard for you psychologically given your reasons for wanting to get it done. I say delay purely because of any risk of infection and thats the last thing you'll want after such major surgery.

And now big hugs coming you're way. You are so young to be facing such major surgery.
31403.jpg

My thought would be delay it. I realise that'll be hard for you psychologically given your reasons for wanting to get it done. I say delay purely because of any risk of infection and thats the last thing you'll want after such major surgery.

That is also my initial thoughts. I am most concerned with infection as well. Isabeau, in your surgery there may implanted devices or harvested tissue that is going to be implanted. These structures do not have a native blood supply. This makes them more susceptible to infection. I would tend to recommend to wait closer to 6 weeks post-op to reduce this risk. Additionally, I would recommend to ask your OS before proceeding.

I believe that you must be a very strong woman to be going through this surgery under such difficult times. I wish you the best of luck!

Orthodoc

I know you have a special reason for tattoo but I am sure that your Mum wouldn't want you to take any risks with your health.

Status
Not open for further replies.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Jaycey
    ADMINISTRATOR Staff member since February 2011

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
All2Gd88