Post-Op Chair

Status
Not open for further replies.

TECMike

TRHR scheduled for 05-03-12. What kind of chair did you all use post-op to stay in most of the day after you returned home when not sleeping at night to watch TV and rest/eat a light lunch?

Recliner with arms, sofa and foot rest to elevate leg or a rocker with arms and a foot rest with pillows, ect...?

Just trying to plan ahead. From reading here, I know my leg will need to be elevated, so I thought one particular type might work better. Thanks in advance.

Mike

I used a straight back chairs with arms which i borrowed from my local health authority, which was then adjusted on the legs so that it would be the right height for me.

Hi Mike,

We are low-tech at my house and so I just sat in my usual wing chair and added a couple of cushions from the patio furniture so that I'd be elevated a little bit.

Someone had told me prior to my surgery that I should have a special foam wedge to sit on to maintain hip precautions, so on my hard dining room chair I used a tush cush. In actuality, I did not have any "hip precautions" assigned by my OS after surgery, but the cushioning did feel comfy and I still use it.

I didn't put my feet up when sitting in any chairs, but I did take to my bed once or twice a day to read and rest lying down with a little pillow under my knees.

Good luck on your upcoming surgery and welcome to the BoneSmart forum.
Take care,
Cardie

I was spoiled--I borrowed a electric lift recliner chair from a friend. It was WONDERFUL!!! No worries about breaking the hip restrictions because the lift mechanism raised it up and down.

I also liked my recliner because I had problems sitting in a straight up kind of chair because of the incision and muscles being cut in an area tht you kind of sit on.

I prefer recliners for resting, but you have to watch out for the type that are soft (most are) and that you sink into. You will have trouble getting in and out of them without flexing more than 90 degrees at the hip. You can't lean forward to sit down or get back up.

Dorothy

Low tech at my house too. My favorite chair with 2 pillows did the trick for me. -cathy

You might do well to check out this article for the do's and don'ts of elevating legs!

Josephine:

Is there a link to the article missing or am I overlooking it somewhere?

Thanks
Mike

Recliner!! I kicked my hubby outta his both post ops. :biggrin: I also slept in it for the beginning. I dont do well lying flat on my back , at least with the recliner it propped the upper half of my body up easier than pillows.

I didnt have any problems getting out of it and still following the 90 degree rule.

I have a big manual reclining chair (type with handle on the side) not planning to recline but have put two booster cushions on it which elevate me to the right height , I also have an electric adjustable bed which I plan to be in some of the day as next to a mini bar and opposite a large flatscreen :hysterical:

I wouldn't start buying expensive chairs, you can adapt what you have either with cushions or a set of chair risers after all should only need it for a couple of months

Hi Mike, like Britchick I have one provided by the local authority and have to use only this one for sitting for 12 whole weeks.

The OT at the hospital measured from my knees to the floor. 19 inches and that was the height of the chair seat I needed to keep to the 90 degree rule.

As mentioned you cant sit on anything too squishy if it means you are putting your knees above the height of your hips when you sit down. I am not allowed to sit on my manual recliner at all but apart from the height this was also because it needs force to close it.

Best wishes

Ann

As mentioned you cant sit on anything too squishy if it means you are putting your knees above the height of your hips when you sit down. I am not allowed to sit on my manual recliner at all but apart from the height this was also because it needs force to close it.

I can't close it now due to not having the ability to slam the bit that rises down so will be in the upright position when after muy Op , my knees are lower than my hips when I stick the two cushions on it . I have my nice zimmer trolly in front of it so can raise myself slowly up and down

Hi Mike! Welcome to Bonesmart. My first THR 3 years ago was posterior approach and I had the 90 degree restriction. I used my Lazy Boy oversized recliner (manual). To elevate my legs, I placed a king size pillow down by the footrest, backed into the chair, and that held the pillow under my lower legs/feet while I lifted the footrest. I reclined enough to get the elevated feet above heart level. I even did my start-up PT exercises (like heel slides and butt squeezes) on that chair. I still have that chair!

Basically I found that any chair that had a seat (not squishy) that touched the back of my knees and had arms was good enough to stay within the restrictions.

I was given strict orders before my first the. No recliners period. I traded my recliner for a comfy arm chair. I am still using it 5 years later. It has served me well.

Maybe ture true if one is going to use it as a recliner but I'm just using mine as a chair which meets the 90 degree rule .

Strict orders seem to vary depending on consultant and type of proceedure

I mentioned what I had at my pre-op and nothing was said about not using it

I have bought myself an electric lift and recliner chair from our local charity shop, it is excellent and helps with the pain, even now before the op. I can adjust it to any angle without having to get out of it and lift it to help me stand up..

I would definitely recommend looking around the charity shops for one.

One week at home, and I can truly, truly say: I would be miserable without my recliner. Getting in and out of bed was way too painful; laying in bed was uncomfortable; even when OT came and we tried it a few times (it was less painful), still: with as many times as I get in and out of bed to go to the bathroom at night, I simply would be lost without my recliner. I've never had any problem getting into it or out of it. The completely laid-back position I sleep in was difficult, the first few nights, but now I've got it figured out. Weirdly, I think it is strengthening my arms, too! I can elevate my leg as much as needed, am 100% comfy in the place where I spend most of my day between walks around the house and my PT exercises. Laz-e-boy gets a valentine from me! (It is not a lift and doesn't have a handle, I operate it using my arms and legs---not engaging the THR leg for the first days, and as possible since I started getting stronger.)

Hi Mike, welcome. I used a wine crate under the cushion of my big easy chair (no room for recliners in NYC apartments!) with an ottoman. I also used the couch throw pillows under the food of my mattress to elevate my let which made it much easier to get in an out of bed in the middle of the night.

Status
Not open for further replies.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Jaycey
    ADMINISTRATOR Staff member since February 2011

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
JanieMarie