Low grade fever 4 weeks post op?

Status
Not open for further replies.

missyc

Dear All, I've really enjoyed reading this forum. This is my first post. I had bilateral TKR just under 4 weeks ago. For the past 3 nights I've had low grade temperatures of about 99.5-99.7. My dr. says this is nothing to worry about and is fairly normal. But I'm wondering whether anyone else has experienced this. I haven't found very many posts on here about low grade fevers.
I also am dealing with a superficial skin infection in one of my incisions -- the dr. calls it a "stitch infection" and put me on antibiotics (keflex) for a week. He said it's a minor infection and nothing to be alarmed about unless my temp goes to 101 or the site gets very red and inflamed (which it hasn't).
I don't know whether the low grade fevers are related to the infection or not. I'm also a little itchy and have gotten hives from amoxicillin so this could be related to an allergic reaction.

I have an appt. to see the dr. the day after tomorrow but in the meantime, does anyone out there have any thoughts about this?
Thanks!

Missyc

I am sure I messed up your name, sorry.
I am a recovering hippy and don't have any experience in your problem areas. I just wanted to welcome you to the greatest place on earth!!!
Well, if you have had or are considering a knee or hip replacement!!!

I have read others talk about low grade fevers, I'm sure they will chime in soon.
Welcome
Judy

Hi, Missyc.....I don't have any experience with what you are going through, but I just wanted to give you some support and tell you I think you are doing the best thing by keeping in touch with your doctor to stay on top of things. I know in the first couple of months following my surgery, I had lots of little questions and concerns that came up and the nurse at the OS's office was so kind to always take my calls and provide answers for what was going on. I think a good doctor wants to be able to provide that service to his or her patients. Hang in there! Hopefully you'll be over this "bump" soon.

Hi Mssyc just so you know I had that low grade fever forthe fist 2.5 weeks post op and nothing came of it. The Doc said it might be the body reaction to trauma or the meds? So I did not worry about it and it went away. I would just keep your eye on the incision and make sure it does not get worse and of course consult the Doc.....

I'd agree with schoust - absence of redness and local heat - no need to fret about the fever or the stich infection. Neither are uncommon.

Welcome to BoneSmart, btw.

Thanks so much to everyone for your help and support. It really helps. Hopefully next time I post it will be with an "encouragement story".

Missyc,

I had a low level fever for my two weeks in the hospital after my BTKR. My OS insure me this was normal and the way the body was fighting all that was done to it. She was right on, on the day I left my temperature has been normal since. I left the hospital on the 8th of Sept.

God Bless
Rick

Actually I think you can get a fever whenever your body is dealing with
inflamation. So a couple of times when I overdid exercise too soon
and all of a sudden I was laying with my leg elevated and icing I would
have a low grade temp and flu like symptoms.

missy and edk -

I have the same problem and I am a little over 8 weeks. Any time I "over do" the day I end up feeling like I have a low grade fever. My problem is that my normal evening body temp has always been between 96.4 and 97.3 . I have the coolest of body cores - Not sure if it is from living up here - I can't remember being this cool prior to moving north -
Anyway - I usually find that my temp is over 98.5 on those nights that my knee actualy hurts or throbs, and I am generally achy all over - so I throw the ice on, take a pain med or ibuprofen and try to sleep.

Marianne

For the past 3 nights I've had low grade temperatures of about 99.5-99.7. My dr. says this is nothing to worry about and is fairly normal.
I think your doc is correct. My experience was that these slight fevers lasted several months. I was using the ice packs on the knee for a good long time. I still like that ice pack every so often.

-TC

Misyc, I had a total knee replacement 6 wks ago and at about 4 weeks post-op I started experiencing low grade fevers. After checking with my primary care Dr. and the surgeon I was told that this was my body reacting to the new knee. There is increased blood flow to that area to help with the healing and sometime the body will react with low grade fevers. Mine went up to 100.6 and I was told not to worry unless it reached 101.00. I was also reassured that there was no infection in or around the new knee.

AHHHhh -- That would explain my Wednesday evening low grade - Had to do yard patrol (3 large dogs). Waddled throughthe gravel - wlked on the slanted side yard, etc, etc, etc... Came in and crashed. Woke up around 11PM feeling really warm and uncomfy. Took some ibuprofen - fired up the cryo cuff and went back to sllep. My bet is there was a great deal of blood flowing around the knee during that activity and hence.... Thanks - I feel better now! It went away in the AM. All was as normal as normal gets these days - I am a bit over 8 weeks - or is it 9 - I can't keep up!

MArianne

I think it must be ten by now. Aren't you two weeks ahead of me? My surgery was July 28th, and I was eight weeks on this last Monday--the 22nd. For some reason I have no trouble keeping up with the time--but I didn't have to return to school!

Linda -
You are right - Yikes - time flies when you're haveing fun :)
I can't even remember the month of August. I hope it was a nice one! I was 7/14 - has it been 10 weeks already! Probably 11 by now!
I better check the calendar - Yikes - Its October this week!

Marianne

Linda -
You are right - Yikes - time flies when you're haveing fun :)
I can't even remember the month of August. I hope it was a nice one! I was 7/14 - has it been 10 weeks already! Probably 11 by now!
I better check the calendar - Yikes - Its October this week!

Marianne

"Time flies when you're having fun!" (chuckling ironically)

Status
Not open for further replies.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
JanieMarie
Recent bookmarks
Back
Top Bottom