THR Marvellous Marvin's New Home

Status
Not open for further replies.
7:43 pm<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p></o:p>
Day 53 POP<o:p></o:p>
<o:p> </o:p>
It’s been a few days since I did an update.<o:p></o:p>
April has been a very frustrating and painful month so far. With the two PT induced injuries—(one) sore and annoyed muscles from too early use of the cane and (two) the groin pull. <o:p></o:p>
I have been suspended from active post op PT for the next two weeks. I have been instructed to do my in home PT exercises once a day only and at the lowest level, to walk for 10-15 minutes max and if there is any discomfort to reduce the time. I will also be doing once a week pool PT. I will be reassessed at the end of two weeks.<o:p></o:p>
I feel somewhat “dumped” by the PT as they caused the problems and I am not getting any in house support for the damage. I an thinking I will make an app’t to see the main PT to make my case. There has to be ultrasound or something to assist with the recovery. Maybe I am making a mountain out of a molehill. <o:p></o:p>
I have not got a TENS machine yet. Lazy perhaps but now is the time. <o:p></o:p>
I saw my GP yesterday (Thurs) and he has cut the strength of my morphine is half. I have managed to get my Percocet (5/325) to 2 pills a day. But my GP indicated that I may need to increase my Percocet to make up the difference on the morphine. He does not know about the two week hiatus from PT. All I want to be is pain free so this better work.<o:p></o:p>
Saw my OS today (Fri). All is OK but he was none too pleased with me being injured and still on the walker 100% of the time. Explained to him the situation and what could he say. I see him in two months. Still no driving for two more weeks…nuts! :hairpulling: He told me we would discuss return to work in two months but no chance of returning to work until I can walk better.

Abit of a negative hit today :hissyfit: but as my gramma used to say said (in an Arnold Schwartzenegger accent) and tomorrow the sun will shine. <o:p></o:p>

Hi Carol

What bad luck, two issues to cope with, I am so sorry for you.

I know it is frustrating, but I am sure the resting will help.

Jump over to Tashia's thread and check out Debs post.... It had me toe tapping and might cheer you up honey.

Lots of love xxxxxx

Hi Carol

What bad luck, two issues to cope with, I am so sorry for you.

I know it is frustrating, but I am sure the resting will help.

Jump over to Tashia's thread and check out Debs post.... It had me toe tapping and might cheer you up honey.

Lots of love xxxxxx

I did exactly as you asked me and you wouldn't believe what went through my mind. I'm just glad I don't have hemmorhoids.

Don't ask me why it just went across my brain like a banner and it made me smile with the music from Tashia's thread.

Forgive me if it appears I am not aware the problems that this medical condition causes people but I guess it just was where my brain wandered to. :skeptical:

Thanks and take care
@Smja:

So glad you haven't got hemorrhoids... You are coping with enough right now...

Lots of love xoxoxoxox

Hi Carol,

See you are on-line so wanted to say HI! and wonder how you are doing today. Please hang in there, it does get better, it can take sooooo long. Especially with the injury from PT.

OS's can be so different. Mine wanted me to stop at home PT when I had groin pain and continue to use my walker to keep me safe from any fall and keep me going until everything was better healed and stronger. Then I went to out patient PT when things were healed enough to not hurt any more. Still use my walker at night or if I am really tired/fatigued after a long day. It takes as long as it takes...no matter what we do.

Hoping you are finding some little way to have some enjoyment every day...

Peace, calmness and love to you.

Hi Dianemarie

I am thinking that I will stop the at home PT (except for walking) and give my muscles a rest period. I just do not see a change in the pain with the continued PT at home. I must be missing something. I figure if it worked for you then I have a chance of it working for me. What can I lose?

Carol

Yes, Carol, I walked at home for exercise and rested for quite a long period, I think 4 weeks. Things kept healing during that time and I found I was stronger after the month. I hurt myself many times with PT at home, he just didn't listen to me when I told him it was too much and other muscles kept going out of whack. It really seems like in the beginning of healing things go faster, you turn more corners, then for me, things really slowed down, almost at a standstill, but then I started thinking about recovery in terms of how I felt week to week instead of day to day and I again noticed improvement (sometimes 2 weeks at a time).

And don't discount the pain meds making you feel low, but I found I had to go with it because I still needed them. I :cry4: a lot and still do from time to time, always feel better the next day. XXXOOO virtual hug to you, hon.

Dianemarie

Love you girlfriend. :flowerysmile:

You are the twin I never had. You are the mirror of what is going on with me and I appreciate the time you are taking to guide me through the "stuff" that is going on right now. I kind of knew that I was not getting the PT that I needed but hey why would I listen to myself. :DOH:

8:35 am<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p></o:p>
<o:p></o:p>
Day 56 POP <o:p></o:p>
Week 8<o:p></o:p>
Today is a blue day. Last night I fell asleep @11ish, slept to 4:00, used the bathroom, slept ‘til 7ish when I woke up to a jolt of pain. I hate jolts :hate-shocked:. I sleep with four pillows (so I can sit up in bed), A towel under my neck for the cricks, a pillow under my knee and a gel pack under my SI joint. When there is a jolt of anything it’s like a Broadway production to get out of bed (in the meantime the jolt has been jolting away. Ha!!Ha!! I got you good this morning. Na---nana ---na---na.) I hate it!!! It’s not fair!<o:p></o:p>
I am in week 8 and I think I should be better than this. Makes me wish I had not proceeded with this darn THR. I know I didn’t sleep and I was slightly crazy with fatigue but I could walk and get around which is something I’m not doing now. NUTS!!!!<o:p></o:p>
I told my hubby this morning that if I had injured myself at least I could justify in my peanut sized brain that I was foolish and should have known better than to climb up the tree. But when the PT people (who are trained and should know better) cause you injury who are you to trust with your recovery. WHO??? And then it’s well just rest, ice and take it easy and come back in two weeks. Well Chuckles....It’s been almost three weeks and I am no better. I have upped my meds to near full post surgery dosing; my physical abilities have been reduced to near nothing except very slow walking around the house on a walker. You tell me should I be patient or can I be MAD AS HECK.<o:p></o:p>
A month ago when I was doing better and the pain had subsided I made plans to go to see my son in <?xml:namespace prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:smarttags" /><st1:State w:st="on"><st1:place w:st="on">Indiana</st1:place></st1:State>. It’s been 18 months since I’ve seen him and he will be having surgery soon. I’m a little concerned. Well I may have to alter my plans and all because of my trusted PT. It’s funny in a way being a fatalist I never thought that I would have to deal with this nonsense. I was doing all the right stuff, not pushing myself, icing, elevating, and resting. People tell us we are our own worst enemies but sometimes our enemies are dressed as supporters of our recovery.<o:p></o:p>
8:59 am<o:p></o:p>
Take Care Everyone<o:p></o:p>

Carol, it sounds like you are one of many who just does not respond to PT very well. Have you thought about giving it a miss and just doing the in home PT on this thread? Some of the exercises are for knees but there is plenty for hips as well. PT does not have to be aggressive. It's all about increasing range of motion.

Sorry you are hurting. Feel better soon!

Hi Jaycey

I actually went to a Aquafit class this morning. I had nothing to lose and I thought at least I had the control over what come next and how intense.

It was OK. I did what I could and did it in a low level intensity and it was fun. I will see tonite if I fall over in pain but so far so good. Keep you fingers, toes and all other suitable body parts crossed for me

Take Care Everyone and be comfortable :egypt-dance:

Good for you Carol, the best part may be that you had FUN! Everything crossed (except my ankles!)

Well done you! - Carol, it is so good in the water isn't it....

Lol xx

MadRocker
couple of things - first off - love your humor - too funny!!!
second - my OS wouldn't let me near PT for 6 - 8 weeks and the way timing went I didn't even START PT until 9.5 weeks out and was running 3 miles by 7 months post-op!!! so please back off and don't worry so much - rest, rest, rest!!!
thridly, at 8 weeks POP I was still completely and totally miserable!!! I know there are many people on here that say they feel great 6 weeks out or even sooner and good for them, but I was NOT one of them - it takes time, time and then some more time - so give it TIME!!! I think you are doing fine and you WILL get there - keep trucking away...
xoxox,
Linda.

How are you doing today Carol? Any discomfort from the new activity?

Hi Carol,

I have to say, that I agree with what Linda says in her post above. I didn't start outpatient PT until much further in my recovery as I wanted to continue to heal more after I'd been released by my OS. I also had a set back at one point in my PT and it was depressing and took a while to rally back from. There have been periods of time, for me, in the nine months since surgery when I've had to scale all activity back and rest for a few weeks and then start back up again. It is frustrating but there is always progress again at a later point in time.

I, too, had been primed to think that at 6-8 weeks I'd be "back on the tennis court or my golf game, blah, blah, blah..." and that couldn't have been further from the truth. Try not to beat yourself up about it because that only adds to the mental anguish. Are you still able to continue with your plans to see your son -- that would be something to look forward to and enjoy, in spite of the walker and any frustrations you might be feeling.

Take care,
Cardie

Hi Carol

Hope you have gone well after your aqua class?

lol xx

5:11 pm
Day 62 POP

Hello everyone especially Jaycey, Diane,Sandy and Cardie.

It's been a few days since I last posted here.

To bring you all up to date. I did not fall over with pain from the Aqua-Fit class but I have decided to be on the cautious side and wait to attend the classes until I feel stronger.

I am still fighting the Battle of the Hip Flexor. I saw my GP and he diagnosed a grade 2 hip flexor tear. He also indicated that with a normal hip it's 4-6 weeks to full recovery but with your compromised hip it's a day to day injury. I let him know that I felt like a hockey player with a day to day injury except w/o the $$$$.

What can you do it takes time , ice, elevation and more time. I have stopped all outside and at home PT as I was just aggravating the injury and to be honest it is better that I have taken a break.

I am back to the walker full time as I have a terrible limp otherwise, not so bad with the walker. I am walking slow around the house but that is about all of the Olympic activites I am doing right now.

I have had to cancel my trip to see my son in Chicago. I have :cry4:a whole bunch but I am only fooling myself. I can barely get around here at home, how could I possibly handle the plane trip let alone just sit in the apartment. One of my hubby's biggest concerns is I would have managed the trip there and back but all I needed is to trip at the ice arena and I would have been in a whole lot of hurt and in the USA. It's for the best and I just have to get over it. I still get :hairpulling: because it's been 3 years since I have seen him play. Nuts!!!

Other that the whining I am doing well and so is Marvin. The hip capsule is taking a kicking and sore and swollen just because it's Sunday or that is the way it feels sometimes as I sure have not been doing a whole heck of nothing.

Well you know what they say only time will tell and time ain't talking.

5:25 pm

Take care Everyone and be comfortable :ATT637464:

MadRocker
couple of things - first off - love your humor - too funny!!!
second - my OS wouldn't let me near PT for 6 - 8 weeks and the way timing went I didn't even START PT until 9.5 weeks out and was running 3 miles by 7 months post-op!!! so please back off and don't worry so much - rest, rest, rest!!!
thridly, at 8 weeks POP I was still completely and totally miserable!!! I know there are many people on here that say they feel great 6 weeks out or even sooner and good for them, but I was NOT one of them - it takes time, time and then some more time - so give it TIME!!! I think you are doing fine and you WILL get there - keep trucking away...
xoxox,
Linda.

Thanks Linda for the pep talk. I can see that there is light at the end of the tunnel after reading your post. You cannot imagine how much better it made me feel. As my hubby has been harping all weekend You are trying so hard to get better and then it blows up in your face. Overdoing it is not helping, take as long as your body needs to heal.

I guess I have not been listening very well to Marvin. Thanks again.

Take care :wubroses:

Carol,

So good to hear from you...I have said it a few times before...no matter what I do, this is taking as long as it takes. No matter what I do, PT, no PT, rest, nap, walk, elevate, ice, use walker, don't use walker, use cane, be positive, be miserable, go with it, fight it...believe me I have tried it all and it still does what IT wants to do in terms of recovery...so, the more I can go with it the better. And some days are better than others.

Sorry you had to cancel your trip, but you are right about laying low for now. It will get better, hon. Some days I even watch soap operas on the TV, good thing about that is they have more problems than I do so I can get a good laugh out of them at least. Love and peace to you.

Status
Not open for further replies.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
All2Gd88
Recent bookmarks

Latest posts

Back