Rider1960, Dorothy, back home finally!!!! (the long version!)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Diane, Thanks for the support. I really appreciate it. Yes, I guess things are going to be up and down for a while yet ... must be patient, as much as I hate that :)

mrsdouce, I hear you about discontinuing the Zoloft. I appreciate your thoughts on it. I'm think I'm going to just keep taking the dose where I'm at now for another month or so and not rush it. I've actually been tapering very gradually for probably close to 6 months, with a break while I had my surgery where I left it alone--I have to go that slowly. I discontinued it one other time before and it took me 6 months to finally get totally off it. It's a very slow process for me and body to adjust. But, I do want to get off it eventually (for good this time) so I'll keep plugging along that path.

Good new: Today I mounted my saddle sitting on a saddle rack, which closely mimicks the width size and shape of my horse. I was very happy that my new hip was absolutely fine with it except for a little residual tightness in the hip flexor muscle in the groin. It wasn't so bad that I couldn't handle it sitting there, so I should be fine when I start riding my actual horse again (soon, when the weather improves!)

The right hip and the right low back weren't too happy, though. I think I might be able to deal with that ... but maybe not. I'll just have to try riding and see how things go. Although I really love trail riding, I'll settle for even being able to ride my horse around my pasture until after the other hip is replaced. Anything to get back on and going, get those muscles in shape, and get a head start on regaining my in-the-saddle balance, which is definitely not what it used to be. If not ... well, I'll just have to settle for waiting until the other hip is replaced. Just have to see how things pan out.

Dorothy

Hi Dorothy
I am glad you tried out the saddle and it worked well for you. I rode my Cody on Saturday and was surprised that I did not have any pain. It was an awesome feeling to sit on him and not be hurting.
I will be riding him mainly around my house for now. I have an arena and we need some help with his training yet anyway. Last year I let him get through with stuff that I should not have. It was mainly that I was in pain and did not want to argue.
Just be careful riding your horse, so you don't undo what you have healed so far. I told all my riding buddies that in the beginning I will maybe in May ride only on short rides with them. I will take my arab as he does not spook and run like my mustang does.
Hopefully by the end of the summer you can ride without any pain. Isn't that an awesome thought?
It's snowing here today again. Spring where are you?
Have a great day Dorothy.
Bea

Hi Bea, I'm in upstate NY. We are having some nice weather--sunny for a few days, although it's still pretty chilly. I'm hoping to be able to try riding soon, but I'm going for a spinal injection tomorrow and will need to wait for that to kick in before taking on a new activity that might irritate the spinal nerve more. I'm so glad you were able to ride--I wrote more on your thread, along with some questions about Cody.

I'm finally adjusting being back to work. The weird things that were hurting from having to sit upright so long the first few days at work are pretty much gone. I think my body has adjusted. My brain is adjusting more too--getting easier to concentrate and maybe not as tired at the end of a day. I do think I would like to try to squeeze out a couple more weeks off after the next surgery if I can afford to do so financially.

I took a walk around the perimeter road of our building complex yesterday. I went about a 1/2 mile, which is very good for me--the new left hip can handle a lot more than that, I think, but the right hip and my back bother me too much to keep going. At least the right hip pain isn't as bad as it was a couple of weeks ago--the surgeon gave me a steroid injection in the right hip joint while I was there for my left hip post op visit, which decreased the pain there about 50%. Hopefully, the back will settle down after the injection tomorrow too.

The right hip ... it's not horrible, but it needs to go. June can't come soon enough! I called the surgeon's scheduler yesterday just to remind her that I want to be on the cancellation list for a spot that might open up earlier (he said he would do it as soon as mid May). She doesn't have anything yet but she seemed to remember who I was. That's good.

I shouldn't complain, though. I'm MUCH more comfortable after having the awful left one replaced. There is no comparison in the before and after. A hip replacement is a wonderful thing!

Dorothy

Dorothy,

I'm in upstate NY also! A little town outside of Syracuse...small world and I'm loving the weather we are having this year!

Hi Dorothy

Just reading back through your thread a little.. I am so pleased that you are not finding work too exhausting that is great news.

It will be nice for you when you are able to ride again.. it will happen.

Hello Dorothy, I'm just catching up too. I think Sandy and I keep landing up on the same thread at the same time! It sounds as though you're doing great, being back at work. And I especially love this image of you I have in my mind, riding your saddle on a saddle rack, whiich I picture as a sort of wooden horse. I've been reading so much about all you horsy people, it's really giving me the urge to get back in the saddle myself. I haven't been on a horse for about 4 years, and that was agony at the time, but now with two new hips it should be a breeze. I wish I had a saddle rack to practice on though....

And how amazing to think you might get a cancellation as early as May. Just think of how much more confident you will be this time, now you know what to expect. I remember how anxious you were before the first one, and now look at you ! A real star for supporting others going through the process.

And to think I might have been a neighbour of yours if life had worked out differently. My ex-husband moved to Albany (we were living in Washington DC at the time), and I even got as far as house-hunting with him up there before realising I couldn't go through with it. Loved the area though!

Happy Easter Dorothy,

Jane is completely right reading all the horse folks talk about riding is definitely a motivation. Plus it was sooooo funny when you wrote on my thread about me riding,I had thought the exact same thing a few days earlier and had come close to calling the lady where I use to go, but paused not sure why maybe a little fear. It's on the list for this year for sure. I love reading your stories and seeing Bea's photos the other day just made me smile!

Have a lovely weekend!

xxooxx

Oh yes, Sarah, you need to start riding again ... I can tell the horse bug is biting you again!!! :)

Fear is normal after you haven't been riding for a while, especially now with having a new spare part to worry about. I've already decided that my first attempt at riding will be a nice, calm, warm day with no wind, people to help me, and all that.

My mare is really quite a good girl, so I'm not worried that she will do anything crazy, but I've found that I'm a bit more leary of doing anything new since I had the hip replacement. I tried riding my bicycle a couple of weeks ago and chickened out before I reached the end of the driveway. I got off the bike and decided I needed more time to get used to my new hip and more time for it to heal in case I did take a fall. Everything is different now. I'm ready to try the bike again as soon as the temperatures warm up some. We had some gorgeous unseasonably warm weather a while back, but now It's back to chilly days and nights here in upstate NY, although we've had some gorgeous sunny days.

I had an epidural spinal injection yesterday to try to get rid of the sciatic pain going down my right leg. I'm trying to take it easy this weekend so I don't aggravate things in there and can give the steroid a chance to settle in and get to work. They've worked well for me in the past, so I'm hopeful. It's been bothering me a lot ever since the hip replacement--walking weird afterwards and depending on that side of my body so much during early recovery flared it up. My hip surgeon is hopeful that this problem will improve after he replaces that hip and I'm equally as painfree on both hips. That would be great!

Something really neat! dianemarie from here and I found out that we are almost neighbors! We are planning a get together for later this month. Our surgeries were also done at the same hospital. Our surgeons belong to the same practice too. Small world.

Dorothy

Hi Dorothy,

I see that you are having some sciatic pain and an injection. I wondered if you have ever worked with a chiropractor prior to your surgery? They are often able to help alleviate this type of pain with some spinal adjustments. I began to see my chiropractor again after my post-op appointment with the OS and it's helped tremendously with my aches and pains -- and my alignment, as I've adjusted to this new hip and struggled with postural issues.

Wonderful that you and Diane are going to have a get-together -- BoneSmarties Unite!!! :ccheers:

Take care,
Cardie

I love the Diane connection...yes it's a small world! Hope your Easter Sunday is good! Sorry about the injection hope it's helping!

Xxooxx

Hi Cardie and Sarah!

Cardie, I have worked with an osteopath who did adjustments similar to a chiropractor. Sometimes I would feel a little better right after the adjustment, but it never lasted more than a few hours. I also went to PT for spinal decompression-traction and that didn't do much either. Darn!

I have a small disc herniation at the L5-S1 level and it causes nerve compression. It's not bad enough to do surgery. The injections have helped a lot in the past. It usually takes a few days or a week to get some relief, but it tends to last a significant period of time. It's not a horrible type of sciatic pain--kind of more annoying and aching. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that this injection works as well as the others have.

A gorgeous day here! The sun is shining and things are greening up. I hate to ask for rain, but if we had a nice day of steady rain followed by a return of sun things would get even greener. I love things looking green!

My new hip is doing very well. I'm a little over 10 weeks post op. The hip has recovered very steadily and without problems. My body in general is finally feeling more normal. I really was surprised at how stiff and achy I was all over for so many weeks post op. Some of it might have to do with how immobile and disabled I was prior to surgery--it's a big shock for the whole body to be able to move again and muscles were complaining for a long time.

The hip is feeling almost completely like a natural hip. It still needs a little more strength--I can feel it get a little weak as I get to the top of a flight of stairs. But, I can do pretty much anything I want to do without thinking about it and I don't look like a "recovering hip replacement patient" to the outside world. I limped for so long before surgery that it has even taken a while to get used to *not* limping, if that makes any sense. It feels good!!

I'm looking forward to the other one being replaced, but a little nervous again too. Round two in June ...

Hope everyone is having a great day.

Dorothy

Hi Dorothy,

You sound like you are doing great -- at least as far as your hip is concerned!! That achey business will abate with time, it is pretty unpleasant though.

My husband also has the L5/S1 issue and he's the one that started with the Rolfer a few years ago -- before me and my fake hip. I hope that you'll be able to avoid surgery on your back. Fingers crossed that your injection helps and maybe after hip #2 there will be some additional changes that might help as well.

Take care,
Cardie

Reading your thread and am glad you are doing so well. I was an "upstater " myself for the past 14 years. I lived in Syracuse. We relocated to Vermont last June. Great you all made that connection and have the horse connection as well. I had some friends with horses in Syr and every summer when my neice would come for a visit, she got to ride all the time, which she loves, she is 14 and has been riding since 7 . All she cared about when we told her we were relocating was missing her horses. Now i am going to find some horse opportunities for her out here. Have a great day everyone -cathy

Cardie, I'm hoping the back settles down after hip #2. Still not any significant relief from the injection. My back is objecting to injection itself and the muscles right at the injection area are spasming too. Maybe just a little more time ... Heck, at least I have a new hip! My back problems don't bother me anywhere near as much as that awful hip did.

Cathy, Small world!! I had my surgery done in Syracuse. I live about 60 miles from there. Vermont is nice. I hope you are liking it there. There are lots of horses in Vermont, so I bet it won't be hard to find horse stuff for your neice. Hope you are doing well with your new hip too.

Dorothy

Hi Dorothy,
I see that you are having some sciatic pain and an injection. I wondered if you have ever worked with a chiropractor prior to your surgery? They are often able to help alleviate this type of pain with some spinal adjustments. I began to see my chiropractor again after my post-op appointment with the OS and it's helped tremendously with my aches and pains -- and my alignment, as I've adjusted to this new hip and struggled with postural issues.

Take care,
Cardie

Just following up with my own situation with the SI joint. I had my first app't with the chiropractor Monday. Although I felt like a dishrag the day of the treatment. I slept much better and when I awoke up I did not have the ache in the SI joint that I have been having since Jul 2011. I am so happy that this seems to work and I will proceed with her suggestions of massage and stretching. Thanks Cardie :thumb:

PS

Does Anyone know how to tag so I can be sure that e.g Cardie will see this posting?

Thanks, Carol

Here you go... @C Mac:

If you want to try it yourself, type @, then the user's name, then ;

When you submit the comment, the semicolon will turn into a colon and the name will become a tag.

Cardie, see the comment above this.

Just following up with my own situation with the SI joint. I had my first app't with the chiropractor Monday. Although I felt like a dishrag the day of the treatment. I slept much better and when I awoke up I did not have the ache in the SI joint that I have been having since Jul 2011. I am so happy that this seems to work and I will proceed with her suggestions of massage and stretching. Thanks Cardie :thumb:[/FONT][/SIZE]

Thanks, Carol

Fantastic news, Carol (@Mad Rocker:)!! I'm glad the chiropractor helped and hope that the things she suggested will be helpful as well. I see my chiropractor about once a week, sometimes skip a week here and there if I'm feeling really good.

I sometimes have to revert back to time on the heating pad for my SI pains too, maybe that would be helpful to both of you -- Dorothy & Carol. I also do a little massage with a tennis ball, lying down with the ball under my sore spot to try to press the muscle & joint itself, back into place. I started this when I was further out from my surgery than you both are -- took me a while to be able to get down on the floor... :rolleyespink:

Have a nice day,
Cardie

They couldn't find a vein for an IV for sedation when I had my epidural spinal injection last Friday, and I was very nervous and tense when they did it without anything. The injection itself wasn't bad, but now I have a 2 inch diameter lump at the injection site from which muscle spasms spread when I walk. I've never had the bump before following an injection, and I can only attribute it to trauma because I was so tight and nervous about it. Very frustrating!

I've taken a couple of anti-spasmotic drugs I already have and put in a call to the clinic for other suggestions. I've tried heat and cold. The bump is too tender to massage and I don't even know if that would be the right thing to do anyway. I really don't know what else can be done other than to just wait it out.

I've been trying to just ignore it and keep going, but it makes itself known when I walk. It's really bugging me that I can't go for a walk because since going back to work I've gained back 10 pounds of the 15 I lost after the surgery and I need to keep moving to get exercise. My other hip is feeling better after the injection to it back on March 19 so I can walk on that for a bit. It tell you ... if it's not one thing, it's another!

The good news is, though--the new hip is completely non-problematic! Just like replacing a new car part, lol.

Keep trudging along ...

Dorothy

Status
Not open for further replies.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
Dave4562
Recent bookmarks