TKR Randi's In Recovery!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Randi

graduate
Country
Canada Canada
Hi. It's my first time here. So good to find you all. I am now 6 weeks post RTKR. I've been doing well but now really having trouble. When I walk more than a few minutes I get swelling and tightness on top of my knee . I'm thinking that it seems to follow the biking I've been doing at physio which feels great..anybody else know this feeling or any suggestions to take away the stiffness so I can get moving?

@Randi:

Hi, Randi....welcome to BoneSmart! I'm glad you found our forum and decided to join.

I have moved your post to a thread of your own so that your request for suggestions doesn't derail the other thread. You'll be much more likely to receive comments this way.

If you prefer some other title for the thread, just let me know what it is and I'll make the change for you.

Six weeks is still very, very early in recovery from a TKR. You are likely doing a bit too much activity. Also....tell me about your schedule for pain meds, icing and elevating. Those are all important things you should be doing to keep swelling and pain down.

In the meantime, I suggest you start doing some reading in the BoneSmart Library. There is a tab at the top of the page for links to threads to read. Here are a few to get you started:

The importance of managing pain after a TKR and the pain chart
How Long Does Healing Take ......
Chart representation of TKR recovery
Energy drain for TKRs
Elevating your leg to control swelling and pain
Using ice

Discussion on managing pain in TKR surgery
Work “Smarter” and not “Harder”
About recovering a knee - from one who knows!
Some suggestions for home physio (PT) and activity progress
Myth busting: The "window of opportunity"

6 weeks is still incredibly early in recovery. I'm 9 weeks out this week and today I walked too much and had the same issues. Simply put, it's gonna be a 6-8 month rehab process (from what everyone tells me). Just remember our knees have experienced a major trauma and it's gonna take time. Keep the faith. I'm icing my knee with my Breg ice machine right now!!!! :thumb:

Hello Randi,

Welcome to Bonesmart. This is such a great community for us that are going through replacements. It has helped me out greatly. I am about the same time out with my RTKR. As was mentioned earlier, 6 weeks is still early. There is much healing still to be done. Keep up with your PT. As your knee continues to heal, the pain will lessen and you will be able to walk longer distances and do much more than you thought you could. There will even be times of the day that you will forget that you had your knee replaced. Keep up you good work and know that your knee will continue to get better.

Randi, take it easy. Swelling is your knee telling you to stop, and your knee is in charge. You can't accelerate healing by doing more. Do just enough so that the knee doesn't swell.

I'm also 6 weeks out and when I do too much or sit at my desk too long, it swells and gets tight. It's all about doing enough, but not too much. I'm still trying to find that balance point.

Thanks to all of you. I am very impatient - and I suspect I'm not alone!!! I need to listen closely to all of you. As for meds - had so much tummy trouble I stopped using anything after 2 weeks. No pain, just this stiffness. And I'm not good with ice- it's cold here in Toronto and I hate being cold ! So. I'm going to Florida next week where a hot tub , pool, stationery bike await - and ice will be welcome ! I am lucky to have this chance and change of scenery will help, too

Hi Randi

Welcome to Bonesmart :thumb: You have done well to get off the medication so quickly but that might be why you have the feeling of tightness. You will find many people on here say that tightness is a form of pain. I am heading into my 4th week and I can say I don't feel pain but plenty of tightness around the top of my knee. I am not on too much medication but I think the anti inflammatories help with the swelling - just a thought. I find icing is brilliant. It's cold here in the UK but not as cold as your neck of the woods :th_heehee:

Your trip to Florida sounds fab and I am sure the warmth will be so good for your knee. Have a lovely time and keep us posted on your progress.

Thanks to all of you. I am very impatient - and I suspect I'm not alone!!! I need to listen closely to all of you. As for meds - had so much tummy trouble I stopped using anything after 2 weeks. No pain, just this stiffness. And I'm not good with ice- it's cold here in Toronto and I hate being cold ! So. I'm going to Florida next week where a hot tub , pool, stationery bike await - and ice will be welcome ! I am lucky to have this chance and change of scenery will help, too

Patience is something that the vast majority of us had to develop---these recoveries can take some time---actually longer than many of us would like. I returned to the classroom at eight weeks and still had a limp. It sounds great that you are going South for a while---just take it easy and stay within the envelope, and your knee will respond well.

Ice/elevate/rest when you have to---listen to your knee and take it easy so your knee does not get angry and go on strike.

I know you said that you are not good with ice, but it will help with the stiffness.

Another issue !! So on Thursday as I was leaving Physio my"good" left knee buckled. I thought it was a weird temporary response to overdoing the weights. It's now late Saturday and I'm limping .. My new knee is just fine but the other one is buckling almost every time I stand up. Arghhh!!!

Sorry to hear about your other knee. That can happen sometimes withe added workout it gets when you have a TKR. Hopefully it will feel better after some time.

You might want to try at least an over-the-counter approach to pain (stiffness) management. See this thread.

Hi Randi,
I am a newbie as well. I am realising that patience is really important. As we only see the scar which probably looks healed and not what is going on inside our knee it is difficult to appreciate the trauma that has occurred with knee replacements. Hang in there. Hope your good knee gets better.
Cheers
Kakky

Thanks Jamie - I really can't tolerate NSAIDs- even Advil - so that's out. I do use tylenol arthritis -it's a bit stronger -when I have to. But ultimately I think it's time for an x-ray of the "good" knee..just so I know where I 'stand'..haha:sigh:

Another question --now that I've found this forum I have sooo many ! Have any of you travelled long distances 4 months post TKR ? I have a family wedding in Israel in May -the trip is 13 hours non-stop..any:what: advice ?

Randi,
After more than a year and a half out from a LTKR, after I ride the bicycle I always use one of those big exercise balls to elevate and stretch. It helps with lower back pain also.
About the other knee, it happens. I don't know why, but I'm trying to stretch mine out for 6 to 18 months. You must find what works best to control your swelling and do it when you feel swelling tightening up you knee. I just finished about 15 trips upstairs to clear out a spare bedroom. My new knee wants a rest. My old knee wants some pain meds.

Thanks Josephine - helpful advice as always. I have a sort of funny (in the ha ha way):big grin: new problem..now I think I'm addicted to this forum! I seem to need to come back here 3 or 4 times a day to search for an answer or look for somebody else with the same concerns. Thanks to all of you for this -it truly helps !

Today is a good day !! Long may it last...

Thanks Josephine - helpful advice as always. I have a sort of funny (in the ha ha way):big grin: new problem..now I think I'm addicted to this forum! I seem to need to come back here 3 or 4 times a day to search for an answer or look for somebody else with the same concerns. Thanks to all of you for this -it truly helps !

Today is a good day !! Long may it last...

And may it be followed by a good night!

That type of addiction is a great one to have---especially with what you are goin through! We will be here to help you through this, so come to the forum as often as you would like!:thumb::thumb:

Status
Not open for further replies.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• mendogal
    Staff member since November 10, 2023

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
mexicaliaguilas
Recent bookmarks