Foot pain after THR

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lynnie66

I'm 10 months post op after having a total anterior hip replacement. I'm doing extremely well and have recently started a walking regimen. I had orthotics that always helped to completely alleviate any foot pain. However, the past 2 weeks or so, I have been having foot pain and am unable to walk like I'd like.:sigh: I did ask the ortho surgeon if he thought I needed to get different orthotics now that I had my hip replaced and he felt it wasn't necessary. Has anyone had this problem? It may seem like a minor concern compared to healing from a THR. However, I thought now that I had a new hip I could hike, walk etc. Now this! I've stopped wearing my orthotics as of today and will try the inserts that came with my shoes. The pain is in both feet. Anyone else encounter this problem?

Without knowing what kind of pain, where it is and when it happens, it's a tad difficult to offer an opinion!

Hi Lynnie, I just experience the same thing. I am 9 weeks post op and had planned on walking each day around the neighborhood. I have very comfortable shoes, put my own orthodics in, and all of a sudden I am getting this yucky pain/pressure on the balls of my feet, where the toes start. And I also noticed lately that I just cannot walk barefoot. I need a shoe/sandal right after I get out of bed. What is wrong with us? Let's see what Jo has to say.

I also have the pain in the ball of the foot and where the toes start. It does get frustrating when you know you need to get exercise and walking for me is the best. I put in my original Keen shoe inserts and will try that for a day or so. If I still have the pain, I'll try gel inserts or Dr. Scholl's OTC. If all else fails, I'll get impressions for my feet and get new orthotics. That will be my last resort as insurance doesn't cover custom fit orthotics. When I was going for PT, the therapist checked out my orthotics and said even though they're 5+ years old, they were in really good condition. Good luck to you in your recovery!

The pain is mostly in the ball of the foot and goes where the toes start. If I'm on my feet for any period of time, I can be sure to have sore feet. I keep thinking that since my gait is different with the new hip, perhaps I do need new orthotics.

I did ask the ortho surgeon if he thought I needed to get different orthotics now that I had my hip replaced and he felt it wasn't necessary.

I have worn orthotics for many years and I really don't understand the comment from your OS. Pre-op you walk very differently - sometimes for years. We always recommend hippies purchase new shoes post op as shoes are often worn down by altered gait pre-op. The same holds true with orthotics.

I had both foot and back pain post THR. At about 4 months out I had a new set of custom orthotics made and also purchased new shoes. For me it did help.

You do have a new gait and in my opinion new orthotics will help. I wouldn't recommend OTC orthotics as they are usually not enough support.

Please let us know what you decide!

That's Morton's metatarsalgia. Or you just might have a Morton's neuroma which is a little lump on the nerve that travels between those two toes. You could get an orthotic to help with that.
Remember, you can still get other conditions that are unrelated to your hip! :wink1:

Visiting from the knee side, but saw your post.

Before my knee surgeries, I told both operating surgerons I'd been to, that I had numbness/pain in my left foot. We all assumed it was from the knee.

After my BTKR's, foot still hurt. Doctor squeezed my toes together about as hard as he could, and he said, Morton's neuroma. He sent me to the guy who does the orthotics etc, down the hall. He gave me these pads that stick to your foot...it didn't last until I got to my car, way too uncomfy.

He also gave me a booklet to order more pads. I saw an orthotic in booklet for the neuroma. But I never ordered it.

Since I have been taking otc's for other ailments, it seems to help the neuroma pain and I just don't worry about it. The surgeries look kind of tough. One way is to go under the foot and the other is on top. Doesn't bother me enough to get that done.

Status
Not open for further replies.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Jamie
    Staff member since Feb, 2009

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
HikerWalker