OS says its Bone Pain

Status
Not open for further replies.

pepper

Country
United States United States
Hi everyone, At 6 months after my partial, if I work or play a little to hard
I have the knee darn mad over the implant site, more to the bottom plate as far as I can tell. Not swelling but nagging pain and stiffness, this last time is taking longer to come out of it. Had x-rays with OS says the implant is fine.

He says its bone pain and it may take a year to clear up, He says to back
off the work and golf and lose 20 pounds. This is hard to do after 6 months
when at first he said 6 weeks I would be golfing. Anyone heard of this bone pain, getting to sound like a put off to me anymore.

Thanks for listening, Pepper.....

Hi, Pepper. So sorry to hear you are having problems with your partial knee replacement. Obviously if you are having pain, it would be a good idea to back off on your activity until it subsides. You may want to go on a schedule for some anti-inflammants like Aleve or Advil for a few weeks too.

Did you get an xray of your knee that you could post for Jo to look at? That might help her offer some advice for you. @Josephine:

Partials can be wonderful sometimes. Other people who have had them have gone on to have additional arthritis develop in the opposing knee compartment and/or under the kneecap. If it's the kneecap, it may not show up on an xray.

Six months is a long time to just "wait and see." If it was me, I'd be getting some other opinions from surgeons who are in no way connected with your original OS.

Please let us know how you get along with it. Jo is offline for a few days, but I'm sure she will have some comments for you.

Thanks for the reply Jamie, OS said the left compartment looked great,

mentioned the knee cap. I have photo copy's of the ex-rays would that work

on the computer. How do you transfer them? PEPPER.....

6 weeks before golfing again seems a bit ridiculous, so I wouldn't feel as though you are progressing badly

I thought your post was a bit ironic since I just had the opposite thing happen. When you've had a knee replacement you always think "it's the prosthesis" when in reality you have a lot of "original equipment" in there which can hurt. Last week I walked down a mountain (4 miles long and down 2500 vertical feet) about 2 days later the inside of my knee was killing me. I couldn't figure out what I could have done since it was hurting in a place which I knew was just titanium and ceramic - I did a couple of days of RICE and talked to a physician friend and he suggested and irritated MCL. Two more days of rest and ice and all is fine.

Pepper, if you have hard copies (paper copies....I'm assuming that's what you mean by "photo copies"), you will need to scan them into your computer to post them. That means you need a scanner with your printer. You would scan and save them in a file and then post them here using TinyPic or another photo website.

Let me know if you can get the file on your PC and I can help you if you need it to get them posted.

Hey there Pepper, I have been having the same problem at 7 months post op. Most of my pain is caused by simply standing in one position ( such as waiting in line ) for too long. My OS told me that the pain is bone pain and will most probably take a complete year to resolve itself and I do believe him.

Sitting too long causes stiffness and pain and standing too long causes pain and swelling, I guess I need to grow wings and learn to hover....LOL

Hang in there Sweetie!

Ginger

I will give that a try Jamie thanks. And the wings would be great,thanks for your thoughts..... Pepper

Attention Jamie

Hi Jamie,

Here is one of my knee x-rays. The next one will follow. Thanks for your help, Don.

ai46.tinypic.com_j8noxt.jpg

Re: Attention Jamie

Thanks for getting the images up online, Don. Since I'm not the medical professional, we'll have to wait for Josephine (our forum nurse) to return to the forum. She's offline for a few more days, but I'm sure she'll have some comments for you.

@Josephine:

I merged all your threads so they make sense, pepper. I'll get back to you about your xrays when I've had a chance to look at them properly!

Pepper....I see you had your surgery done at Orange City Hospital. Can you tell me which surgeon you saw? (The ones I see listed there are Drs. Jacobson, Jensen, and Samuelson.) Also, if you can, please find out for me the type of partial knee replacement implant that was used. I would like to do a little extra research into the implant itself. Thanks!!

Okay, I looked at them and observed this

ai30.tinypic.com_29g3nb.jpg

The femoral implant appears to be at an angle to the vertical which doesn't seem correct to me. Also an angle in the tibial implant which I thought should be more horizontal. Could be the spacer takes up that slack though.

ai25.tinypic.com_11s2jpf.jpg

There also appears to be a biggish gap at the back of prosthesis though this might be due to the poor copy and there's actually no gap there at all!

However, if I were in your shoes, I'd be thinking about a second opinion, just to make sure.

Hi, Joe Thanks for your time, I brought the same thing up to him, he had some story to back up that its hitting dead center, and that it just appears like
this at that angle. This man has done over 1200 of these thats why I went to him. Even his web site has other photos of peoples ex-rays that look like this.
I will get new opinion, and let you know how it turns out. Would you like to look at his web site or would that be asking for legal trouble. Thanks again.

Pepper

No problems - please give me the link.

Jo, heres the link www.midwesthipandknee.com

avoid total knee replacement, is the ad. Pepper

Hit Dr. Kelly's site and

scroll down to-view info on Dr. Kelly's Knee Surgery, then scroll down to photo gallery.

Hi, Jo. Is my best option to go somewhere else. I have talked with this man
at least 4 times in office, and 3 phone calls which he will take all the time you need, and says the same thing give it time. Some people need a year for every thing to settle down. It sure has been a challenge.

Thanks, Jo your a busy lady!

Status
Not open for further replies.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Jaycey
    ADMINISTRATOR Staff member since February 2011

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member