Plantar Fasciitis

Status
Not open for further replies.

Peta

supremo
I've been getting a really sharp pain under the heel of my left foot (had right hip replaced on the 9th March) for the past couple of weeks. It has gradually gotten to the stage where I can't walk barefoot at all (which I normally do around the house), and it hurts like heck whenever I put any weight on that foot!

I saw my physio today and he said I have Plantar Fasciitis - probably due to my increased level of physical activity over the past few weeks and the fact that my gait is still not quite 100% right. As per his instructions I've been icing and have bought some pharmacy stocked orthotics designed specifically for this problem.

I guess I can understand how this could happen - my gait hasn't been "right" for the past three years and my "style" of walking has been constantly changing in that time.

My question is.............Has anyone else had this problem following a hip replacement? And if so, do you have any other recommendations for treatment?

Hi Peta,

As you know I haven't had my THR yet - but have had plantar fasciitis for years. It was first diagnosed when I torn all the ligaments in my left foot. After 6 weeks in a soft cast the doc prescribed custom orthotics in both shoes. Initially new orthotics bother many people but they did fix the problem. I have worn orthotics since then.

You are right - walking barefoot can also bring on the pain. But if you get your gait corrected it will strengthen the area and that should ease. Do you have some very good walking shoes? Good foot support is key to getting control of the pain. Unfortunately I can't tolerate "fashion shoes" for any length of time. Heels are just not in the cards.

Hope you find a solution. Take care!

wow..glad I saw this thread. This is exactly what is going on with me!

For the past 2 days I have had pretty severe pain in my left heal and on the outside of my lower leg.

I had my left hip replaced 5 weeks ago.

Should I go to the doctor for this or will it just go away.....it is very painful in the morning and it disrupted my sleep last night.

Thanks for posting this....glad to know what it is!

I suffered with Plantar Fasciitis a few years ago and I had PT for a few weeks. It went away after 2 weeks. I also went to the Good Feet store and purchased their supports for my shoes and my slippers. I still use them to this day and do not walk around the house barefoot at all. It started to act up a little after my TRHR on 2-24-2010 but I was able to calm it down with ice and I am sure the Vicodin made me forget about the pain.

I'm pleased to know I'm not the only one suffering with this John! :) I didn't go to my doctor - I'm still having physio after my hip replacement so I just checked with him.

His instructions are to ice, rest as much as possible, wear very supportive shoes and wear orthotics (I bought some this afternoon from the pharmacy) designed to help with plantar fasciitis. I also have exercises to do first thing in the morning before getting out of bed (the pain that shoots through my heel when that foot hits the ground brings tears to my eyes!)
If you Google it you will find the exercises - and also a tip about using a large coke bottle of frozen water to ice the underside of your foot and heel. If for any reason you can't find it I will try to post you a link.
He said he is hopeful that it will go in time - he thinks mine has occured because I've been so much more active over the past few weeks than I have been for many years - and because my gait has been constantly changing. So with any luck, given time, it will resolve itself.
Boy I hope so - because this certainly wasn't in my hip replacement recovery plan! :)

I had horrible plantar fascitis about 15 years ago, went to an orthopedist, had special orthotics made up. They helped, along with my losing 10 lbs.
Now, I'm doing my post-op walking, and I am beginning to feel some twinges in my feet also -wow! So I, too, was glad to read your post! I bought some orthotics yesterday at the pharmacy and will see how those feel when I walk today!

It's not necessarily anything to do with any other existing issues. People get PF all the time. It's a pain (literally!!) but it does go away eventually. Some of the things here suggested help to ease the situation.

Peta, mine flared up recently (2 years after my TKR) and I think it is at least partly because I am walking correctly on my good (surgery) leg and probably not so on my unoperated leg. I too purchased orthotics and it is helping. I also take Celebrex which usually works great, but this time has not.

One other thing I NEED to do is to go out and buy some new everyday shoes. I usually wear walking shoes (tennis shoes) and they wear after a year and should be replaced at least that often. So....take a look at your shoes. Any wear at all means it's time to go shopping.

Jamie, I have been meaning to mention for a while that I think you are the best moderator ever. You're always so helpful and supportive. Now, you've given me an excuse to go shoe shopping and I think even more highly of you! :thnk: :wub:

I had plantar fasciitis well befor my BTKR's. When you sleep at night, your feet sometimes curl up at night, the plantar fascia tightens, and the first steps in the morning are horribly painful. I found out that stretching using one of these really works.

pro stretch.jpg

You should also wear shoes that give you excellent arch support. A long time ago, when I used to run (pre-cycling) I found out that shoes out-sole normally breaks down after the midsole---where all the support and cushioning is! By the time the out-sole is worn, your shoes actually are broken from the inside.

If you have a freezer block of re-usable ice, you can put that under your heel to ice it.

Best of luck!

Tim C.

Jamie, I have been meaning to mention for a while that I think you are the best moderator ever. You're always so helpful and supportive. Now, you've given me an excuse to go shoe shopping and I think even more highly of you! :thnk: :wub:

Too funny, Alex!!! Thanks for the compliment and glad I could be the reason for a shoe-a-thon.

Tim....what is that thing called?

Thanks everyone! I'm pleased to know I'm not the only one suffering with this! lol

Tim you're right about it being most painful first thing in the morning - those first couple of steps are excruciating! (And I'm NOT exaggerating!) My physio has given me exercises to do BEFORE I get out of bed (providing I don't need to dash to the bathroom......) which are supposed to help stretch everything and reduce that pain, so I will see how it goes.

I wore my orthotics today at work and they have definitely helped reduce the heel pain somewhat. I just hope this goes away SOON......because now I have two bionic hips I have some living to do!

I'm not experiencing it and have never heard of it, but can I just lie and say I have it cuz I want to buy some new shoes, too :wink:
Patrikya

Hi Peta,

Hope things are easing up today. Just a reminder - sometimes it takes awhile to get full relief when you start using orthotics. They make yet another correction to the way you walk. Some people get back pain when they first start wearing them. I know when you get custom made orthotics they tell you to start with wearing them only 1-2 hours per day and build up.

Just don't get discouraged. You are on the right track to get rid of this.

Thanks Jaycey! I actually had orthotics made about 4 years ago when I thought the thigh pain and limping I was getting was because my gait needed correcting! Wasn't long before the pain got worse and I went to my doctor to be told I needed hip replacements! But I do remember they took some getting used to, as you said.

The ones I'm wearing now just seem to be cushioning my heels - so I did notice some lessening of the heel pain today when I was wearing them.

(The worst of this is when I have to get up in the middle of the night to go to the toilet - barefoot! I always leave it till the last minute so I don't stop to put shoes on - and boy it hurts! lol) :hehe:

Tim...I am interested in the exercise device you used....do you have a name for it and/or a link?

Thanks, Karen! Great products.....I'm actually going to see my doctor about it (it's gotten that bad) and will see what she recommends. I appreciate your help.

Status
Not open for further replies.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Jaycey
    ADMINISTRATOR Staff member since February 2011

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
JanieMarie