keloid and hypertrophic scars

Status
Not open for further replies.

Joni

I was reading a post in the library that talks about these scars. At one point My Doctor, years ago said that i should always tell my doctor that i develope Keloid scars. But I didn't say anything and didnt think to. I dont want my scar to turn real hard and jeperdize my recovery.

I used to have this scar for year on my elbow that was just a soft peace of skin hanging off. and once i had a small mole removed when i was a teenager and I got a scar three time the size of the mole.

I did have arthroscopic shoulder surgery about 1 1/2 ago and the 3 little holes you can't even see them now.

I want my recovery to go well. but it kind of late in the game to say any thing because i surgery in 9 days and my only appointment before is with the PA 3 days before surgery.

Does anybody think that with such a large incision the doctor should be informed ?

Joni

Yes, you need to let your doc know. If you are a scar tissue former, they will want to be vigilant to be sure you do not build scar tissue on your new knee. You may form a keloid scar....FrogFeathers has a great story about her scar...you should private message her. :thmb:

I scar ugly, but none I've ever had have been labeled "keloid" by a medical professional.

Fronkensteen (my knee scar) has flattened out in a lovely way and doesn't even bother me anymore. I can't remember the exact time that he stopped being tender or itchy, but I think it was around six months.

Now, the scar itself notwithstanding, I did develop adhesions and ended up needing the MUA. The whole over-development of scar tissue is a family trait (thanks, Dad!), but I'm the first one in the family to have a total knee replacement. Everyone was interested in how my scar and scar tissue developed. My dad had a quadruple bypass in March of 1988. In September of 2001, he had another. And it took the doctors over two hours to cut their way through his scar tissue.

I didn't tell my doctor about my scarring issue till after my surgery because I didn't know if it would be an issue (I didn't even know about "MUA" or adhesions till after my surgery). My scar itself didn't cause me any problems in my PT or recovery, though. And Vitamin E oil did nothing to Fronkensteen other than annoy him. :wink:

I scar ugly, but none I've ever had have been labeled "keloid" by a medical professional.

Fronkensteen (my knee scar) has flattened out in a lovely way and doesn't even bother me anymore. I can't remember the exact time that he stopped being tender or itchy, but I think it was around six months.

Now, the scar itself notwithstanding, I did develop adhesions and ended up needing the MUA. The whole over-development of scar tissue is a family trait (thanks, Dad!), but I'm the first one in the family to have a total knee replacement. Everyone was interested in how my scar and scar tissue developed. My dad had a quadruple bypass in March of 1988. In September of 2001, he had another. And it took the doctors over two hours to cut their way through his scar tissue.

I didn't tell my doctor about my scarring issue till after my surgery because I didn't know if it would be an issue (I didn't even know about "MUA" or adhesions till after my surgery). My scar itself didn't cause me any problems in my PT or recovery, though. And Vitamin E oil did nothing to Fronkensteen other than annoy him. :wink:

I will let the doc know thanks for the information. I wish I would have thought about it earlier. and said something. Is your scar better now ?

Joni

I will let the doc know thanks for the information. I wish I would have thought about it earlier. and said something. Is your scar better now ?

Joni
Oh, he's beautiful! He doesn't hurt or bother me in any way. Every now and then, there's some itching, but then, my 21 year old gall bladder scar still itches from time to time.

I got bored last week and photoshopped two pictures of my scar together. My surgery was March 18, 2009. ~Click here for the photo~ Its completely flat and I can't even feel it when I'm wearing regular clothes (at first, wearing jeans bothered me and the scar).

I did a blog about Fronkensteen for a while, but as the weather got colder, it became less "fun" to pull up my pantleg in public and take a photo of it. :hehe:

Oh, he's beautiful! He doesn't hurt or bother me in any way. Every now and then, there's some itching, but then, my 21 year old gall bladder scar still itches from time to time.

I got bored last week and photoshopped two pictures of my scar together. My surgery was March 18, 2009. ~Click here for the photo~ Its completely flat and I can't even feel it when I'm wearing regular clothes (at first, wearing jeans bothered me and the scar).

I did a blog about Fronkensteen for a while, but as the weather got colder, it became less "fun" to pull up my pantleg in public and take a photo of it. :hehe:

Your scar isn't bad at all looks real smooth ! Your words made me feel better. But I will tell the doctor about it though. His information says that he usually uses disasolve stitches but sometimes use a few staples. The might change the way he closes my incision. I am not sure. But I sure will have it notated in my chart. I think I will call his nurse on monday and let her know so she can put it in my chart so If when i get there and might forget maybe it will be there. She is very nice.

Hey I'm watching a Queen DVD right now !! I remember you saying you thinked my Avatar ! HA !

Freddie Mercury Lives On !!!!

Joni

FM is the tops! :thmb:

I don't think what is done to close a wound has much influence over whether it keloids or not.

I met someone in therapy who had it sutured instead of stapled. The sutures had long pieces hanging out at both ends so it could just be pulled out at time of removal instead of being clipped out. His scar is beautiful. He was 6 weeks out.

My mother scars beautifully. So does my son.

My dad and I scar alike. Big 'n ugly.

Strangely, Dad's mother scarred beautifully (her gall bladder scar was nearly invisible after less than a year) and Mom's mother scarred ugly.

I guess I got a bit of it from both sides of the family.

:lvros:

I met someone in therapy who had it sutured instead of stapled. The sutures had long pieces hanging out at both ends so it could just be pulled out at time of removal instead of being clipped out. His scar is beautiful. He was 6 weeks out.
That's known as a subcuticular suture, old fashioned way! The modern method is to do the same with an absorbable suture which doesn't have to be removed. Usually they are covered with Steristrips as well. How do they close wounds?

That's known as a subcuticular suture, old fashioned way! The modern method is to do the same with an absorbable suture which doesn't have to be removed. Usually they are covered with Steristrips as well. How do they close wounds?

My OS says in his information that he uses disovible stitches and that information says to change dressing daily with a new sterile one at least until your 2 week check-up. I think I will be fine.

The information about closing wounds is very interesting. You know it all Jo!

Joni :catkiss:

Hi, I just wanted to add that some of us don't have either stitches or staples. My OS used only some kind of glue to seal the skin, had no problem at all. Of course we have all the layers of interior stitches that dissolve,its just the skin that is closed the the glue.

Status
Not open for further replies.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
Dave4562
Recent bookmarks
Back
Top Bottom